• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Potential GS buyer with a few questions

BerettaRacer

Hi, new member checking out the forums before a possible GS purchase. Had originally considered a used '18 but after reading thru the posts and all the early model problems and changes, (red needle/white needle) (this infotainment/that infotainment) (phone charging and usb/sim card port) (front end clunking) etc etc have decided to wait a bit and lean toward a used '19 after the '20's come out. But have a few questions.

Maybe I'm crazy, and I may be the only one, but I actually prefer the Essense trim front fascia, with the fog/driving lights over the GS fascia with the fake brake ducts and the stand out trim piece . So, if I were to buy the Essense fog lights separately would they be a direct interchange onto the GS bumper cover moulding cutouts, or would I have to buy and entire Essense front bumper cover?

Second, the GS seats felt comfortable when I sat in them at the dealer and they generally get good reviews, but, I think those small vent looking things near the top shoulder area look hideous. Do they actually serve a purpose, part of the seat cooling maybe? or just some decoration? and can they be removed and filled with a matching leather trim piece that would blend in better?

Thx

Chockomon

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback AWD
So you'd definitely need to change bumpers to make the fogs work - you may be better off finding some one to trade (if you end up getting back and are in NJ let me know)

Not sure about the seats

x10003q

Buick Ownership
2019 GS
The GS seat 'vents' seem to be a design feature meant to replicate seats that can accommodate a 4 point seat belt harness. I have no idea if the vents can be removed. I do not think they have anything to do with the seat cooling. The seats have been very comfortable over our 1st 900 miles. There are pictures of Insignias with the GS seat with a normal headrests.
See page 15
https://www.opel.ie/content/dam/opel/ireland/brochure-library/brochures/passenger-cars/opel-insignia/OPEL_Insignia_2019_Ed1_Bro.pdf

Stray_Kiwi

Buick Ownership
2018 Holden Commodore VXR
A lot will depend on which packages you option but those fake vents have a purpose, they house the sensors for the lane keep assist, pedestrian detection and parking assistance.

As for the seats, they are faux race seats, nothing more nothing less. I get the feeling that maybe the GS is not for you and you should look at buying a different model?

BerettaRacer

A lot will depend on which packages you option but those fake vents have a purpose, they house the sensors for the lane keep assist, pedestrian detection and parking assistance.

As for the seats, they are faux race seats, nothing more nothing less. I get the feeling that maybe the GS is not for you and you should look at buying a different model?
I can put those sensors in any bumper cover, each trim level has packages available so bumper covers must be ready for drilling sensor mounting holes, and my wiring harness will already be set up. I just prefer the smoother look and extra lighting of the Essense bumper cover over fake "Look at me" vents.

And why wouldn't the GS be the right model for me, just because I don't like a few of the smaller items. What other model has the V6, adj suspension, and 9 spd trans and all wheel drive?
I have no interest in a 2.0 L turbo 4 in a 4000 lb vehicle, then load it with 5-600 lbs ski gear, roof rack, and run high altitude highways across Montana/Idaho/Wyoming with 80 mph speed limits, for that matter, even crossing some Colorado/Utah high mountain passes.
I also prefer the V6 for towing my motorcycle up to the mountains for summer fun.
My current Mazda 6 V6 hatchback is just showing its age, and time to replace with another hatchback.

Last edited:

BerettaRacer

Umm... you do realize turbos would be preferable to a NA engine at altitude right?
Yup. Just not a 2.0 L turbo @ 250 HP for me. 2.5 L questionable, 3.0 L turbo probably.

The 2.0 L Turbo @ 250 HP is approx 2.05 HP/CI, that's pretty high stress is any designers book.
The 3.6 L Natural @ 310 HP is approx 1.4 HP/CI, still above the 1 HP/CI turning point, but much less stressed than the 4 pot.

I run various size and style diesels for a living. There is a direct and definite correlation between HP/CI and designed engine life. Yes, a smaller turbo engine can put out elevated HP, but it has a shorter lifespan. A larger CI engine putting out similar HP, will have lower HP/CI is less stressed and will have a longer lifespan. Fact of life.
One of my current projects has a pair of 5.9 L turbo Cummins diesels @ 165 HP each, that same engine can be bought all the way up to 370 HP. The 370 HP have a designed lifespan of a few thousand hours. My same engines at 165 HP have 14,000 hrs, EACH!! and still running fine. Those engines run at a constant 1800 RPM, which equates to approx 60 MPH, for the project. 60 MPH x 14,000 = approx 860,000 miles on each engine. Let me know the first time a 2.0 L turbo @ 250 HP pushing a 4000 lb vehicle reaches over 3/4 million miles, I'll wait, LOL.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Yup. Just not a 2.0 L turbo @ 250 HP for me. 2.5 L questionable, 3.0 L turbo probably.

The 2.0 L Turbo @ 250 HP is approx 2.05 HP/CI, that's pretty high stress is any designers book.
The 3.6 L Natural @ 310 HP is approx 1.4 HP/CI, still above the 1 HP/CI turning point, but much less stressed than the 4 pot.

I run various size and style diesels for a living. There is a direct and definite correlation between HP/CI and designed engine life. Yes, a smaller turbo engine can put out elevated HP, but it has a shorter lifespan. A larger CI engine putting out similar HP, will have lower HP/CI is less stressed and will have a longer lifespan. Fact of life.
One of my current projects has a pair of 5.9 L turbo Cummins diesels @ 165 HP each, that same engine can be bought all the way up to 370 HP. The 370 HP have a designed lifespan of a few thousand hours. My same engines at 165 HP have 14,000 hrs, EACH!! and still running fine. Those engines run at a constant 1800 RPM, which equates to approx 60 MPH, for the project. 60 MPH x 14,000 = approx 860,000 miles on each engine. Let me know the first time a 2.0 L turbo @ 250 HP pushing a 4000 lb vehicle reaches over 3/4 million miles, I'll wait, LOL.
Not gonna wear out engine in TourX in my lifetime. It's a little different if you are running engine in a commercial type environment....like long haul trucking, or power generation.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
You are welcome to believe what ever you like, but 250hp out of a 2 liter engine is not stressed in any real designers book. There are numerous 2 liters pushing 300 stock and even some around 400. A properly designed 2 liter can pump out 300hp for far more miles than most people will own them. Really it comes down to maintenance... the higher the output the more you need to do. One of my other cars is a modified Audi 1.8 that has basically the same output per liter as the TourX and is sitting just under 300k miles on the original engine turbo and trans. That was a 2001 and they have made huge improvements in engine design since then.

You also can't compare an engine's longevity when you double the power without making other changes. No engineer would do this. When an engine is designed for a higher output they make tons of changes to compensate for the loading.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Let him enjoy what he enjoys.

For myself however the biggest problem with the naturally aspirated V6 is that you have to rev it up to get access to that hp and it comes up short on torque compared to the 2.0T.

I'll take the freight train torque and the nice fat power band.

BerettaRacer

At this point the choice of engine is irrelevant, I'm looking at the GS and it comes with the V6. Done.

The questions I asked were if the Essence fog/driving lights would fit in a GS bumper cover, and the function of the vent/grills in the GS seat backs.

Last edited:

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
When I was doing my shopping, the NA V6, AWD, and adjustable suspension really stood out to me as well. There are not many sedans at the price point with so many features inside and out. To get to the point...

Seats
As @x10003q and @Stray_Kiwi said, the vents in the seats are entirely for looks. If you were so inclined, I am sure they could be removed and wrapped with leather(ette). Any upholsterer should be able to tackle it if it's not in your wheelhouse.

Front Fascia
As for the faux vents on the front fascia, there are some aftermarket lights available if it's just the lighting you're after. They are more of a DRL and dynamic turn signal than a fog but I thought I'd bring them up. I haven't decided if they are "nice or rice" yet but here they are: YouTube Video / AliExpress / Amazon
1568208393353.png

If you wish to replace the entire front fascia, I think it can be done. I am basing my hunch off of the Holden Commodore ZB model lineup. They offer the Calais-V with the V6 AWD and the non-GS style fascia as shown below. This leads me to believe all mounting interfaces are the same but the wire harnesses may still be different.
1568207678610.png

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
When I was doing my shopping, the NA V6, AWD, and adjustable suspension really stood out to me as well. There are not many sedans at the price point with so many features inside and out. To get to the point...

Seats
As @x10003q and @Stray_Kiwi said, the vents in the seats are entirely for looks. If you were so inclined, I am sure they could be removed and wrapped with leather(ette). Any upholsterer should be able to tackle it if it's not in your wheelhouse.

Front Fascia
As for the faux vents on the front fascia, there are some aftermarket lights available if it's just the lighting you're after. They are more of a DRL and dynamic turn signal than a fog but I thought I'd bring them up. I haven't decided if they are "nice or rice" yet but here they are: YouTube Video / AliExpress / Amazon
View attachment 18220

If you wish to replace the entire front fascia, I think it can be done. I am basing my hunch off of the Holden Commodore ZB model lineup. They offer the Calais-V with the V6 AWD and the non-GS style fascia as shown below. This leads me to believe all mounting interfaces are the same but the wire harnesses may still be different.
View attachment 18219
Applause :D

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
The red needle 2018s have the older more reliable infotainment.

The GS is the only trim that comes standard with the front park assist. Front park assist is not available on any other trim. If you change the front bumper you will lose those sensors.

BerettaRacer

The GS is the only trim that comes standard with the front park assist. Front park assist is not available on any other trim. If you change the front bumper you will lose those sensors.
Why would you lose those sensors? You just remove them from the GS bumper cover and install them in the Essence cover.
The only thing that may not be readily available is a power supply and switching for the new for/driving lights. It may be easier just to run a new supply and switch than dig thru the wiring harness, especially under the dash.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
It might require a little fabrication because the mounting for those sensors is usually molded into the bumper. I haven't looked at it on this specific vehicle but I have repaired these sensors on a few other vehicles.

That said it's not much more than a short tube - should be do-able. If you have the system on the GS you should have all the wiring you need. I don't believe any of the TourX models have the front parking sensors even though they do have front collision and pedestrian warning (on some trims/models).

RoRi (a member of this forum) has done the switch of a GS bumper to a TourX - you can read his thread here: Buick Regal Sports Tourer project

I believe RoRi indicated the (stock) TourX fog lights would not fit the GS bumper. He may still be working on something - I haven't checked in a while.

The TourX bumper cover is not the same part number as the Sportback but all the mounting bits APPEAR to be the same parts. Hopefully someone else can confirm based on first-hand experience.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
Just looked at the parts breakdown and it looks like there is a sensor holder that snaps into the bumper. If it works the way others do, all you need is the correctly shaped hole in the bumper and you're set. It may just be round or it may have rectangular cuts for tabs but should be pretty easy.

Pedal Commander