#=@$! Potholes!

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
Smacked a pothole today...narrow road and no way to miss without going into oncoming traffic. No bent rim, but the tire has a sidewall bulge. Not good. Luckily I have a friend that manages a nearby Discount Tire. He can get it replaced for $150 and warranty the other tires. If you haven't done this already I suggest getting some type of wheel/tire warranty....especially if you live in the northern states. In Indy the snow/melt cycle has resulted in some massive potholes. And the whole "city reimbursement" deal here is a total joke. Those 20s come with a price I guess...

Harshman

Buick Ownership
17 Regal GS AWD
Saw a pothole in Dayton that would swallow a car. Hope our Hiper struts are tough.

GS6spd

Roanoke, Va
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
Smacked a pothole today...narrow road and no way to miss without going into oncoming traffic. No bent rim, but the tire has a sidewall bulge. Not good. Luckily I have a friend that manages a nearby Discount Tire. He can get it replaced for $150 and warranty the other tires. If you haven't done this already I suggest getting some type of wheel/tire warranty....especially if you live in the northern states. In Indy the snow/melt cycle has resulted in some massive potholes. And the whole "city reimbursement" deal here is a total joke. Those 20s come with a price I guess...

But damn they look good! What tires did you go with?

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
Since the car only has 1500 miles on it I am getting the factory Pirelli replacement. And having them rotated since I have worn them down a bit in the snow (I have to drive it in SOME snow as much as I don't want to)

ksmithbsu

Buick Ownership
'13 Regal GS

I can vouch for you about those potholes. The interstates are a mess. I probably look like an asshat having to driving side to side as much as I do. And I find myself having to actually go the speed limit on the on/off ramps :D

What part of the city do you typically drive? I'm noticing more and more GS's around the Indy area.

Garrus

The Citadel via Cincinnati
Buick Ownership
2013 BDT Regal GS
$150 for a fresh tire and no bent rim?

You made out pretty well for a pothole that couldn't be avoided!

Make sure you play a lotto ticket or two this week.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Mackiesback

MInnesota
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II-Trifecta Tune
In Minneapolis, this is a way of life.

ksmithbsu

Buick Ownership
'13 Regal GS
I can vouch for the potholes around the Indianapolis area. I feel like an asshat trying to dodge the potholes. I can't wait for warmer weather and fixed roads to get back to utilizing the GS mode the way it is intended to be used.

What side of the city are you cruising around?

*Sorry if this double posts, received a moderator message...

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
I can vouch for the potholes around the Indianapolis area. I feel like an asshat trying to dodge the potholes. I can't wait for warmer weather and fixed roads to get back to utilizing the GS mode the way it is intended to be used.

What side of the city are you cruising around?

*Sorry if this double posts, received a moderator message...

I am on the NE side, just across the county line in Hancock off 86th and Carroll. I take 86th to Fox, and it's a nightmare. 82nd too (that's where the one was that killed my tire). Yeah I feel stupid too trying to play dodgem', until I see the cars in front of me doing the same, lol.

Update: My old pal got me out of a jam for $147. And free rotation too. All tires now covered by warranty. I rotated at 1,600 miles bc of the spinning I've done in the snow. Plus I am reading these Pirellis are like racing slicks in terms of tread life. All in all, a win despite the circumstances. In and out in 30 minutes.

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
UPDATE: I've now gone 4 for 4 in replacing the Pirellis. Got her washed today and discovered ANOTHER sidewall bulge. This is the last tire I can get replaced under the Discount Tire warranty without paying another $150 to renew.
I have read on here the Pirellis generally suck for anything more than performance driving...wearing out at 20,000 miles, cupping, etc. But my goodness! I understand that they are summer only, and I accept that. But it has actually been warmer this past few days, and unlike the last 3 times, I don't recall really "smacking" a pothole. I've hit some, kinda hard not to on these terrible roads, but nothing major where I knew I'd have a problem.

$&$@ these Pirellis! I am done. I will am getting the tire replaced, filing a tort claim for the rim (bent but usable), and putting the GS into storage until the spring. Am I the only one with luck this bad? I've seen some other guys on here with damage...but three of my four tires have been sidewall bulges. Is it a tire issue? I know when it's cold the compound turns hard. I get that. But like I said, it was nearly 60 the other day and another bulge! My pal at Discount has a few recommendations for replacing the Pirellis...it made me feel a tiny bit better when I went in today, and he said he's never had so many cars towed in with flats/blowouts as he did today.
I picked the worst time to buy this car. Winter setup for sure next fall.

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
$&$@ these Pirellis! I am done. I will am getting the tire replaced, filing a tort claim for the rim (bent but usable), and putting the GS into storage until the spring.

Wait, you've been complaining about potholes and bent rims but you've been driving around on the 20" Pirellis ALL WINTER? 100% your own fault... don't blame the tires.

And your "pal" at Discount Tire got you with the tire warranty but didn't recommend a proper winter setup?

Sorry man, none of this is the tire's fault.

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
I had Goodyear gsd3 on my maxima. Don't remember the exact size, but I put big wheels with low profile tires and bulged 3 tires in a month. Which is why I will never do low profile tires again. The tiny performance advantage they give is not worth the added cost and lack of life and durability. I pulled the 20s off my camaro (which look truck tires compared to regal) in favor of 18s. I can hit potholes with impunity now and the handling is nearly as good on the street.

Just sell your 20s and get some 18s. Maybe even 17s. You will be much happier.

Mackiesback

MInnesota
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II-Trifecta Tune
Next winter when I get dedicated snows, I am going to 16s. Easier ride on the potholes, and snows for 16" rims are a lot cheaper than for 18s.

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
Wait, you've been complaining about potholes and bent rims but you've been driving around on the 20" Pirellis ALL WINTER? 100% your own fault... don't blame the tires.

And your "pal" at Discount Tire got you with the tire warranty but didn't recommend a proper winter setup?

Sorry man, none of this is the tire's fault.

Never said it wasn't my fault. And my "pal" is a good friend that has a setup ready for me...just as soon as I can afford it. I never said it was all on the tires. I know they are summer tires. I know they are 35 sidewalls. And when it snowed I drove my truck. But I do blame the tires a bit, bc some of my hits shouldn't have resulted in the bulges that occurred. These tires seem to be ESPECIALLY brittle in the winter.

Sorry I can't afford a winter setup right now. Sorry I had the bad luck to buy a car right before the snowiest winter in Indiana history. Any of the past 5 or so winters, this story isn't happening.

But when I can, I will be getting a winter setup.

Btw, it is called venting.., or a rant. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
I had Goodyear gsd3 on my maxima. Don't remember the exact size, but I put big wheels with low profile tires and bulged 3 tires in a month. Which is why I will never do low profile tires again. The tiny performance advantage they give is not worth the added cost and lack of life and durability. I pulled the 20s off my camaro (which look truck tires compared to regal) in favor of 18s. I can hit potholes with impunity now and the handling is nearly as good on the street.

Just sell your 20s and get some 18s. Maybe even 17s. You will be much happier.

I think 18 is the smallest you can go on the GS bc of the Brembos on the front and clearance issues. I am riding the rest of this winter out and won't by driving the GS until the holes are all patched up. Today it was 53 and sunny, and the crews got some of the worst sections in Indy repaired. I am fine with switching tires in the winter....I've done it for 5 winters now with my G8. I just need the money to do it. Baby on the way, disposable income isn't what it used to be. Oh well, what's done is done. Live and learn.

Servord

Buick Newbie
Lowell, MA
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick LaCrosse CSX (Touring)
You made out pretty good. I have a LAX and 3 of my rims were bent with impact bubbles in the two front tires.. No fun at all.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!