• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Power folding mirrors

mariuszw

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour
Is it possible to convert TourX mirrors to power folding mirrors similar to Insignia? I was wondering if there’s wiring already installed.
Ski

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You may want to check with the dealership if they are willing to reprogram the car. The only way to know is to check both harnesses for the pin configuration, not enough pins it's a lost cause.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
So, I have already consulted with some techs here at the dealership I work for. GM does not provide the software for this programming. Any software for vehicles is provided to the techs by GM via Email files or USB drives. My brain has already been buzzing about this. He's got no software that he can load onto the vehicle. He also said it's likely that the harnesses have totally different connectors, or if the connectors are the same, there would likely be missing wires on the GM harness.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
So, I have already consulted with some techs here at the dealership I work for. GM does not provide the software for this programming. Any software for vehicles is provided to the techs by GM via Email files or USB drives. My brain has already been buzzing about this. He's got no software that he can load onto the vehicle. He also said it's likely that the harnesses have totally different connectors, or if the connectors are the same, there would likely be missing wires on the GM harness.
This is very likely considering what I've found with adding a rear fog. The harness is different, so folks may find because you can get a switch doesn't mean it will be plug-n-play with a software update (if you can even get your hands on it).

I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware for the BCM, or whatever controllers are used for the various options, are different as well... so even if you have the software a flash could brick it or do nothing at all.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the details, unfortunately the automotive world is not plug and play, which some people have a hard time understanding. Vehicle's have nothing in common with flat panel TV"s, smart phones, tablets, PC's, surround sound systems or home Internet connections and the only thing that they have in common with a vehicle you can use it to pick it up from the store LOL.

Pathy01

I love how GM engineers specific wiring harnesses for different vehicle configurations but only a single upper dash for all Regal models so those of us who don't even have the option of a HUD have a poorly designed filler plate in the space where the HUD unit would go. Just another example of how they take zero account for what customers may want and simply go on their merry cost cutting ways to deliver products that are good enough....

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
I love how GM engineers specific wiring harnesses for different vehicle configurations but only a single upper dash for all Regal models so those of us who don't even have the option of a HUD have a poorly designed filler plate in the space where the HUD unit would go. Just another example of how they take zero account for what customers may want and simply go on their merry cost cutting ways to deliver products that are good enough....
GM has frustrating tactics, for sure

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
That damned filler plate bugs me! Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
I believe that filler plate is for the Forward Collision Alert (FCA) System that is part of Driver Confidence Package 2. Red blinking lights in my TourX.

From the Owner's manual: When your vehicle approaches another detected vehicle too rapidly, the red FCA display will flash on the windshield. Also, eight rapid high-pitched beeps will sound from the front. Also mutes stereo and phone calls. It's annoying when it comes on at left turn signals.

Pathy01

I believe that filler plate is for the Forward Collision Alert (FCA) System that is part of Driver Confidence Package 2. Red blinking lights in my TourX.

From the Owner's manual: When your vehicle approaches another detected vehicle too rapidly, the red FCA display will flash on the windshield. Also, eight rapid high-pitched beeps will sound from the front. Also mutes stereo and phone calls. It's annoying when it comes on at left turn signals.
Ah, well at least there is a use for the spot on some TourXs. I searched to find a car without the sunroof and DC2 since I didn't want the giant slab of glass in the roof or obtrusive driver aids. It'd still be nice if, since they create different harnesses they'd create the dash without the hole. I can't imagine it takes much effort to use the same exact design but without that hole molded in. Or if they are going to use a filler plate, how about one that actually sits flush and has the same texture as the rest of the dash. More care is taken by other manufacturers on entry level cars that cost half as much.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
My apologies... I realize I'm piggy-backing on this tangent, but does anyone else with DC2 have fitment issues with this piece? It does not fit snugly in place (Note the gap on the left side vs right side).
IMG_20190612_151825.jpg

Pathy01

My apologies... I realize I'm piggy-backing on this tangent, but does anyone else with DC2 have fitment issues with this piece? It does not fit snugly in place (Note the gap on the left side vs right side).
View attachment 16277
I don't have the DC2 so mine is just a blank filler, but the entire filler plate sits slightly recessed like most of yours does. I'd say you've probably got a broken clip on the bottom left side. I had a similar issue with my defroster vent, took it to the dealer, they found the broken clip and ordered a replacement under warranty. Your dealer should fix this for you.

I don't feel as bad about my filler plate which at least doesn't look any worse than if I had gotten the DC2. GM definitely should have has 3 versions of this dash, one for HUD which I'm presuming uses the full area of the hole, one for just FCA red blinking lights that could use a hole about 20% the size, and one without any hole at all.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Unfortunately if it's not there it's probably not going to be a upgrade that can be added. You need to take into consideration that wiring harness for the entire system has to be in place, then the programming at the dealer and toss in the cost of the parts sensors, module and harnesses. Check a GM parts online store on the system if want to proceed to get additional information.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Mind consulting them for a wiring diagram for the SportBacks stock (non amped) system??? 😁😁😁

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Unfortunately if it's not there it's probably not going to be a upgrade that can be added. You need to take into consideration that wiring harness for the entire system has to be in place, then the programming at the dealer and toss in the cost of the parts sensors, module and harnesses. Check a GM parts online store on the system if want to proceed to get additional information.
With all the options available that require extra wiring(mirror options/powered seats/sights and sound/etc), each car would need to be either tailor made or require a lot of teardown to add the required wiring. There's got to be some point when adding a universal wiring harness(extra wires) outweighs the cost of labor to add it afterwards or the loss of profit from telling the customer they can't get that trim level/options in the car they chose(exterior/exterior). Now, where that point is, I don't know. I did link the mirror/radar system(not sure what else is needed) in my post(damn Viglinks hiding created links), but as you said there is also the programming/install.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Vehicle manufactuing has been reduced to a column A,B,C choice as a over simplified example. So if you have an A vehicle and you want to add/upgrade to a C vehicle option the harness, connections and interface may not be available in the A vehicle.

If you go out and play on the automotive "build your own" you'll see that certain options are not available or if selected it removes other options. It's a cost measure on a assembly line to limit the number of options, the A vehicle comes down the line it gets a A set of harnesses and options.

As exception are always there, if two style of instrument clusters are available then more than likely the dash harness and conections would be the same for both styles providing a simple swap.

Pedal Commander