Power Liftgate Possible...

Encore Girl

San Francisco, CA
Buick Encore Leather, Navi, Sun & Bose
I LOVE my encore, but I REALLY miss the power liftgate on my equinox so my dealer & I have been toying around with the idea of installing a power liftgate kit from the enclave... So far based on the specs it's looking possible, I have an open button up front (parking assist) and he says that getting a new Buick key remote (with the trunk button) should be easy to program.

Has anyone else kicked this idea around? Any thoughts as to why or why not this would be a good idea?

caddycruiser

That is a completely different wiring harness and vehicle, and nothing will match up or be easily installed to work, outside of a completely custom install. Nothing about the Enclave is like the Encore except for the Buick badging.

Not worth the time or effort, and though I can appreciate the dealers interest in looking into this, it will be more of a waste of time and cost than anything else.

Maybe in future years such a thing will be offered. Though it will never be retrofit-able.

Encore Girl

San Francisco, CA
Buick Encore Leather, Navi, Sun & Bose
That is a completely different wiring harness and vehicle, and nothing will match up or be easily installed to work, outside of a completely custom install. Nothing about the Enclave is like the Encore except for the Buick badging.

Not worth the time or effort, and though I can appreciate the dealers interest in looking into this, it will be more of a waste of time and cost than anything else.

Maybe in future years such a thing will be offered. Though it will never be retrofit-able.
I don't think that's correct, The dealer has already confirmed the computability of the wiring, Not sure why you would say it's a "completely different wiring harness" because that would assume there was initially a wiring harness in the encore, which there is not (at-least not for this purpose) the small liftgate motor would be powered through the existing set up and the only wiring to be "run" would be from the remote to the interior button.

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
At 0:50 in this video the rear hatch seems to open on it's own. I know it doesn't have a power closer but does it pop itself up when you hit a hatch release button?
Doesn't seem to magically lift on it's own (as the video somewhat suggests). I played with the test drive model and I couldn't get it to work that way. No biggie, just a little surprised to see it in the video.

czgu

Buick Newbie
Buick
It was the reason I didn't buy Buick Encore last year. Aftermarket power liftgate will be available for Buick Encore after June 2016. It's less than $500 (free shipping).

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
The manual lift gate is fine with me. It is very well balanced. Since I plan on keeping my SUV for ten years, and it will most likely be my last ride unless someone crashes into it. I would rather have the start/stop button that my wife's Malibu & new CRUZE has. I would get a lot more use out of that.

SR45

2015 Encore Leather, Pear White
I will purchase one more car for my aging life, and it will have the power liftgate or no buy. It helps a lot for older folks, specially carrying groceries. Just had to weigh in. Had the engine on/off button on another car, and disliked it because it would turn the Air conditioner off after a few moments, and in Florida that was a no go, even for another minute or two (Long red lights here). Unless they have fixed that issue.

Foursoors

2014 Buick Encore Convenience
I don't mind the manual liftgate unless it's raining. Since it doesn't go up by itself even a little bit,pulling it up results in dripping water running down your arms. An inconvenience but I agree, push button start is more important in the grand scheme of things for the Encore to include next time.

czgu

Buick Newbie
Buick
Last year I bought Toyota RAV4 instead of Buick Encore, because the power liftgate was not an option (for any trim). Is power liftgate an option for Encore 2017 model? I'll give the RAV4 to my daughter and buy Encore 2017 or 2018 model.

SR45

2015 Encore Leather, Pear White
I to want the power liftgate, but unfortunately for the 2017 it will not have it, probably 2018/2019 perhaps, not holding my breath

czgu

Buick Newbie
Buick
Too bad, I cannot wait until 2018 or 2019. I'll buy it in 2017 and add aftermarket power lift gate. I hope that it's a easy job.

GoMich

Buick
Power lift gate actuator takes a lot of space to install. Those things are massive and if you look at Buick Enclave trim around lift gate, you will see how thick the wall needs to be to hide that actuator.
I dont think Encore will ever get that feature since it will make gate opening even smaller in already very narrow vehicle.
Plus the locking mechanism for auto lift gate is very different as well.

Mission Control

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Troy, MI
2016 Buick Encore with saddle interior, Espresso exterior
Hi. Manufacturer of power liftgate is Advent. Go to ADC Mobile website. Listed as Power Liftgate for 2016-2017 Chevrolet Trax/Buick Encore. Hope this helps!

G-44416

I will purchase one more car for my aging life, and it will have the power liftgate or no buy. It helps a lot for older folks, specially carrying groceries. Just had to weigh in. Had the engine on/off button on another car, and disliked it because it would turn the Air conditioner off after a few moments, and in Florida that was a no go, even for another minute or two (Long red lights here). Unless they have fixed that issue.
I’m with you! This Buick cost too much not to have a power lift and close. My next purchase will definitely have this feature. Sorry Buick!

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
My Brother got his used Encore from an older couple (80ish) because of the manual lift gate.
Husband bought the vehicle without the Wife trying it out first.
Didn't take long for them to realize the Wife could not reach the lift gate once it was open.
They looked it into trying to install a pull down strap, but couldn't find a secure enough spot to attach it.
So after a few months and less than 1,000 miles they sold it to my brother.

PeteOB

Enclave and Encore
Last year I bought Toyota RAV4 instead of Buick Encore, because the power liftgate was not an option (for any trim). Is power liftgate an option for Encore 2017 model? I'll give the RAV4 to my daughter and buy Encore 2017 or 2018 model.

There is an after market power liftgate for encore that you can have installed at an after market installer

james else

2018 Encore
auto eze makes a power liftgate conversion that fits the wiring harness and offers remote , foot and in car releases; also flashes the lights when opening and closing along with a warning beeper; the power is in the struts and the parts look of a good quality. was gonna order one for our 2018 Encore until I plopped it in the cart and found the price to be 700 bucks. will keep opening the gate the old fashioned way. The website is

autoeze.com; it is a do it yourself install or a shop would probably charge another 200 bucks.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!