Power loss creates a danger of collision

jrissman

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal
follow-up - Today, after two days and video evidence, my Buick dealer (07726) told me I have a transmission issue and the cost/benefit was not worth further diagnosis/repair cost on a car that has 133K miles. For some reason driving under 60mph alleviates the RPM racing / loss of power problem? The locks still click open and close at low speeds (no loss of power) when I'm on a downgrade. Weighing all options now!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Others on the forum may have options, but with no details of what the repair is or what the dealer discovered I doubt if any suggestions can be useful. A second opinion from another trusted shop may be in line, but I wouldn't tell them what the dealer found as it may be something else they find. Just concepts to consider as not knowing what the true value of the car and it's condition.

Peacockiing

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal Turbo
And it happens again.. today, while driving on the highway, car just SLAMS, violently, as if I forced the vehicle into a lower gear not rated for the speed I was going(its an automatic).. the episode was very quick. The car turned off and back on wheel tightened, the wheels screeched(I didn't hit the brake), all the dash lights came on as if starting the car up.... aaaaaaand the info center read "open and close driver window" then "open and close passenger window".... the car drove fine for another 2miles, then it did it again, only this time the engine went into a limp mode, where I had noooo engine power. After pulling onto the shoulder and disconnecting the negative cable, then calling outta work, I reconnected the cable.. the car started and was no longer in limp mode.

Questions for you guys: do you all use premium fuel(if reccomended)?
And
Being prompted to open/close driver/passenger windows is a characteristic of having lost [battery] power to the vehicle. Like when your battery dies or when you change it, you get that prompt in order to reprogram the windows.
Is this happening to you all when you experience a shutdown.... and could it then be something electrical(which I've always believed) and/or something that leads to the battery/alt?

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
That sounds scary. I hope you get this sorted or get a new car ASAP.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
There are other GM brand products out there that are having the same problem, considering that no answer can be found on this post the wildcard to look at is the Onstar module. There have been defective units that did cause these types of problems, let me be clear as this may not be your problem, but a option to check. When logic, systematic diagnostic and trained technicians can't find it, time to move to WAG (wild azz guess) mode.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
do you all use premium fuel(if reccomended)?
Sometimes. The premium fuel of the majors (like Exxon and Shell) have very advanced cleaning agents so I think that is worth using every so often. Modern engines can run better on premium fuel if you are looking for a bit more performance.

Being prompted to open/close driver/passenger windows is a characteristic of having lost [battery] power to the vehicle. Like when your battery dies or when you change it, you get that prompt in order to reprogram the windows.
Is this happening to you all when you experience a shutdown.... and could it then be something electrical(which I've always believed) and/or something that leads to the battery/alt?
hahaha. My 2013 Lacrosse eAssist was driven very little the last few weeks and the electronics drained the 12V battery. Nothing worked. I removed the 12V battery today and trickle charged for about 10 hours with a modern charger. After reinstalling the 12V battery, everything worked fine and all the settings seem to have been saved.

*** However, the small info center (in front of the steering wheel & next to the big analogue speedometer) did ask to open/close the driver/passenger windows.

Frankly I have no idea what your car's issues are. But...there is a small possibility:

1. Your car's battery is in poor condition. I have seen people discussing weak/defective/old batteries causing odd-shut system down situations. OEM batteries might last say 5-8 years typically. Cheap replacement batteries my have a life of only 2-3 years. YMMV.

2. That could also be a case of corroded/loose connections at the battery, chassis & engine ground, alternator, etc. Why not have these connections cleaned/retightened. We did that stuff with some colleagues & with a multimeter after a few hours of research on several vehicles and it made a huge difference in power delivery. Shocking.

3. Local battery shops or parts suppliers frequently have high quality battery & alternator testing equipment. Do this. It is free.

Last edited:

Peacockiing

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal Turbo
Dealer drove my Regal for almost a month. They were able to duplicate the issue. Contacted GM, they recommended Transmission Control Module (TCM) replacement. The work is now done. I am driving it again. Hopefully this will solves the issue for good.
....which is not covered by the powertrain warranty, right? What was the cost?

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
I was outside of my powertrain warranty at 82K miles. It cost $1100. Painful, but if the issue is truly resolved I will be ecstatic.
Assuming fix truly resolves issue, you go from junk to excellent car for just $1,100. That would be a good result.

You should charge the dealer for 30 days rental of the Regal. . .