• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Pre-Bent brake lines 2002 LeSabre

wagoner

Minneapolis
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre
Does anyone have any recent experience with pre-bent brake lines? I have found two options. Ebay sells a kit from inline tube for $159. There is also sstubes.com. Looks like they sell the kit in two parts. One for the front, and a second intermediate kit for the rest of it. For the stainless steel version, both kits together are about $270. Some others have mentioned fineline and classic tube, but they don't seem to be around anymore.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If the eBay are Poly Vinyl Coated lines, for that matter any, you'll have lines that should be good for about 10 years even in the rust belt. Stainless is more money and pre-bent is good, but it's a little tough to make your own.

GliderRides

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
2000 LeSabre
As an alternative... Look for Copperhead brand brake lines, got mine at Oreilleys.

They're so easy to bend, in tight places I was able to make bends with just two fingers. They'll straighten back out as easily as they bend. Couldn't have done it any other way, on the Blazer, I think they ran the brake lines and set the body on top of them.

My first time using Copperhead, don't know how long they've been available. Price is a bit higher, but they gave me an introductory discount, so they may be somewhat new. I'll be using these from now on in tight installations!

Copperhead | plews-edelmann

Copperhead is a seamless copper-nickel alloy superior to steel or coated brake lines and is inheretly corrosion resistant. Copperhead will bend by hand and is kink resistant allowing the installer to easily maneuver it into position which cannot be done with conventional steel tubing. The material has yield and tensile strength similar to steel but it cuts your brake job in half!

Lubener

N.Ohio
Buick Ownership
"WAS" 97 Lesabre
If the eBay are Poly Vinyl Coated lines, for that matter any, you'll have lines that should be good for about 10 years even in the rust belt. Stainless is more money and pre-bent is good, but it's a little tough to make your own.
I have used those poly vinyl lines and I was lucky to get 5-6 years out of them.

NFortin198

Buick Ownership
2002 Buick Century Custom 3.1 2002 Buick LeSabre 3.8
They're so easy to bend, in tight places I was able to make bends with just two fingers. They'll straighten back out as easily as they bend. Couldn't have done it any other way, on the Blazer, I think they ran the brake lines and set the body on top of them.
That's how vehicles are made, the body is dropped onto a rolling chassis. The entire drivetrain, including all wiring and lines, are already installed onto the frame, then the body is dropped on and secured,

GliderRides

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
2000 LeSabre
That's how vehicles are made, the body is dropped onto a rolling chassis. The entire drivetrain, including all wiring and lines, are already installed onto the frame, then the body is dropped on and secured,
Yes, my point was just how hard it is to deal with lines sandwiched between the body/frame. New lines aren't going back into all the hangers, not easily at least.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The cheapest price product they could find, that's no joke as the GM truck owners tried to get a class action lawsuit against them. I would suggest getting the best possible lines that you can afford and look at how much longer you will have the vehicle as maybe a benchmark of what to get.

g_660065

Being a 2002, even standard steel lines should outlast the car. Look how long the originals lasted and they are just steel from the factory. Myself, I just measured everything out, bought straight lines, a couple unions and formed them underneath. I was done front and back in less than a day.

wagoner

Minneapolis
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre
I have heard of steel lines lasting only a couple of years, so I am wondering about that. The original GM are steel and it took them sixteen years to rust. They must be coated with something, or they would have rusted much sooner. I understand that there is poly coated and now tin coated steel lines. I will be ordering the lines soon, so I need to figure this out. Seems like steel should be good enough, but I want them to last more than two years.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Steel lines are really not a option as they will rust out soon. 1 Stainless steel, 2 Copper-nickel, 3 Polyvinyl, 4 Tin 5 Galvanized - it's a general guideline but each has a cost, life expectancy and ease of use to install. There's Passivated green coat lines also, but I think the above mentioned lines will cover it.

So depending on how long you plan on keeping the car, the budget for the project and if you live in road salt state. Hope this helps.

More info:
NHTSA’s GM Brake Line Corrosion Investigation: Reading Between the Brake Lines

RJF

Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre Custom
wagoner, what did you end up doing?

Waiex191

Poplar Grove, IL
Buick Ownership
2000 Century
Nicopp is the way to go. See my Buick Century thread. Buy 50' of nicopp from Amazon or eBay, some metric flare nuts, and an ISO flare kit if you don't have one. I've done the Buick and my two saturns.

RJF

Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre Custom
I've done it before, but I'm not feeling like bending a full set of pipes anytime soon.

RJF

Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre Custom
As the thread's author mentioned, both inline tube and sstubes have sets in SS and OE steel. There was a lot of good information in this thread, but I was curious as to what wagoner had decided on.

Pedal Commander