• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Premium vs. Regular Fuel

Tom N

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
I've had my TourX about 2 months now and I have been using premium fuel (93) as per the owner's manual. Has anyone had any experience using regular fuel (87)?

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
LOL oh lord.
I go with premium because the owner's manual recommends it, and it only costs me an extra few bucks per fill-up. But you'll get a bunch of internet experts doing mental gymnastics justifying regular.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yes...do whatever you are comfortable with. Personally I run regular but the last two tanks I did 93 on a whim and have actually seen decreased mpg. Not much of a difference but I was avg 24-25 now seeing 23-24. Next tank will be regular so I can confirm if it goes back to normal. But with that said, when I get tuned it will be premium.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
LOL oh lord.
I go with premium because the owner's manual recommends it, and it only costs me an extra few bucks per fill-up. But you'll get a bunch of internet experts doing mental gymnastics justifying regular.
It is recommended for best performance and fuel economy.

I've not noticed a discernible difference in fuel economy going between the two.

You can certainly run regular without any long term impacts on the health of your engine.

PublicSectorTech

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick TourX Essence
I use Plus(89 octane) and haven't felt/heard a knock yet (had the TourX for about a month). I have a lead foot.

Don't mistake this anecdote for anything resembling advice.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I use Shell Premium most of the time. I use it because of the cleaning additives. I have used Shell Regular once in a while but see no better/worse mpg.

In thinking about it, I use about;
90% Shell Premium.
6% Shell Regular.
2% Exxon/Mobil Premium.
2% Chevron Premium.

I never buy “generic” gas.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I've gone back and forth a bit, it **might** be a little peppier with 91 (hi grade here in MN)

- when the prices are low it's really easy to justify the extra expense. When it's $32 vs $40 per tank I'd just round up the deduction in my head anyway.

Opietheopel

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal TourX
I run premium in my TourX now. I just finished the first tank from the dealer and I put 93 in. I just like having the security of knowing that I can safely run it hard if I want to.

landsharkmz3

LOL oh lord.
Or maybe...just maybe, they might have a Masters of Engineering in Engine Systems from highly rated university with a top engine program. :unsure:

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Cali so I can only get 91 but if you like to drive aggressively like I do from time to time you'll want premium. Also if you plan to keep your car for the long run premium would also probably be better

Vanderpoodle

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Premium-Fuel-Phase-II-Research-Report-FINAL-2.pdf

After I read this report, I stopped worrying. My last car was a Fiat with an engine nearly identical to the Jeep Renegade used in the test. My results were the same as the test. No pinging, no real difference in fuel economy. The engine management computer wasn't even changing the ignition timing. I just split the difference and started putting in 89 octane mid-grade and called it a day.

I've only had the Buick for a short time, so I haven't experimented and have stuck with premium, but I have a big road trip planned next month. I'll try a couple tanks of each and see what happens.

I do try to stick with "top tier" gasoline. I thought it was a marketing gimmick, but (once again) AAA did a test and found that, yes, it actually did keep their test engine cleaner. And being a Top Tier retailer means that all grades of gasoline must meet the Top Tier standard, not just the premium. So, still no need to use premium.

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

landsharkmz3

Page 37 of that report is how I guide people as well. That is the logic to follow.

I do not get knock, am not towing, and using eco to mild driving habits, not trying to squeeze performance out. 91 ( with 0% ethanol) is 30%+ higher around me than 88 (15% ethanol). That is nowhere near the roughly 10% difference in fuel economy.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
#3 of that Q/A on p.37 : YES.

fwiw: I'm only looking at a 15-18% +/- cost increase locally. I just got 36 mpg on a leisurely 2 hour trip and I'm usually generous on the gas in most driving situations.

everyone: do your own thing