• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Premium vs. Regular Fuel

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
everyone: do your own thing
This right here.

I’m sure you’ve all seen the Facebook group where this topic comes up and a couple fear mongering folks on there citing catastrophic failures from not running premium. :rolleyes:

Drive more. Worry less. I think I’ll add two-stroke oil to my fuel to help with the carbon issues. Just like on my old Kohler K-Series. ;)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Started burning Costco 91 after dealer tried to put 87 for free tank and made them put better stuff in.
So about 1000 miles ago switched to 87, few days ago put 91 in again. For under $3 a gal and spread was only 20..
So seemed like time for my oooo my gooodness it is way faster moment.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Started burning Costco 91 after dealer tried to put 87 for free tank and made them put better stuff in.
So about 1000 miles ago switched to 87, few days ago put 91 in again. For under $3 a gal and spread was only 20..
So seemed like time for my oooo my gooodness it is way faster moment.
May be my sometimes vivid imagination and/or placebo effect, but I think performance had very gradually got worse with 87.
PS I think when on road trip and not needing more then 87 for cruising ....may be the ticket.
I love being cheap...depending on spread.

Last edited:

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
File this discussion board under "boring".

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Effluence
I was using pixie dust and ground up unicorn hoofs as fuel, while the performance was outstanding this mixture did have a small drawback, oh well live and learn.
View attachment 17676
Your mistake was unicorn tears were the requirement. Hoofs are for bedroom activities!

In all seriousness, the manual recommends 93, but 87 is just fine. Even the EU and Australian manuals say the same thing.

TommyOpel~74-18

Capitol Region of Pennsylvania
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Premium-Fuel-Phase-II-Research-Report-FINAL-2.pdf

After I read this report, I stopped worrying. My last car was a Fiat with an engine nearly identical to the Jeep Renegade used in the test. My results were the same as the test. No pinging, no real difference in fuel economy. The engine management computer wasn't even changing the ignition timing. I just split the difference and started putting in 89 octane mid-grade and called it a day.

I've only had the Buick for a short time, so I haven't experimented and have stuck with premium, but I have a big road trip planned next month. I'll try a couple tanks of each and see what happens.

I do try to stick with "top tier" gasoline. I thought it was a marketing gimmick, but (once again) AAA did a test and found that, yes, it actually did keep their test engine cleaner. And being a Top Tier retailer means that all grades of gasoline must meet the Top Tier standard, not just the premium. So, still no need to use premium.

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf
Great article and really spells it out. I think the important thing is to get the Top Tier fuel which has the detergents and stuff to keep the valves clean. This will give a list.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
I haven't seen any documentation showing valves stay clean with top tier fuel in DI engines.
Well, the backside of the intake valves would only be letting in air on a DI engine, so there's little chance they'd get anything on them at all. Per the AAA test report, the additives still reduce buildup on the direct inject nozzle as well as combustion chamber/piston surfaces.

"Without detergent additive packages, the carbon deposits can readily form on the intake valves, in the combustion chamber and on the injector tip of gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines."

Conveniently for me, my local Citgo station is Top Tier, and also the cheapest around. And they're building a new Costco w/gas station near me as well. As this is my first new car, I plan to stick to the Top Tier gas regime, but only 87 octane. (I'll be sure to share any issues if they come up, though!)

BobsTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I was using pixie dust and ground up unicorn hoofs as fuel, while the performance was outstanding this mixture did have a small drawback, oh well live and learn.
View attachment 17676
The fire from the pixie dust was manageable, however when I parked near a farm and came back to a horse trying to mount my TourX, well, that was another thing entirely! Couldn’t see out the back window and took 3 trips through the car wash to clear it...

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The fire from the pixie dust was manageable, however when I parked near a farm and came back to a horse trying to mount my TourX, well, that was another thing entirely! Couldn’t see out the back window and took 3 trips through the car wash to clear it...
I think you should get the horse a new sex toy...a real horse preferrably.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Per the AAA test report, the additives still reduce buildup on the direct inject nozzle as well as combustion chamber/piston surfaces.

"Without detergent additive packages, the carbon deposits can readily form on the intake valves, in the combustion chamber and on the injector tip of gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines."
While I am sure there is some benefit, i am surprised they went into so much detail with weighing valves but didn't do the same with injectors...or show photos from inspection microscope of the Chambers. Not saying it doesn't happen but question how extensive this problem is. In another forum I was active there were guys that had to clean their valves twice but never injectors.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
Or, buy a Tesla Model X (for the TourX crowd; Model S for the Sportback crowd) and never worry about 87 vs. 93 Octane again, or whether the backs of your valves are getting coked up and need to add a catch-can to your PVC system!
;)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Or, buy a Tesla Model X (for the TourX crowd; Model S for the Sportback crowd) and never worry about 87 vs. 93 Octane again, or whether the backs of your valves are getting coked up and need to add a catch-can to your PVC system!
;)
But then you have to worry about voltage.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
I've had my TourX about 2 months now and I have been using premium fuel (93) as per the owner's manual. Has anyone had any experience using regular fuel (87)?
Yes. Besides a couple tanks of "premium" at first, been running 87 for about 7000 miles. Haven't thought about it since, don't miss it. To me, the TourX is a comfy Buick, not trying to drive it on public roads like a race car.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
This is so boring.

20190816_100,000 miles on Cobra, New Again.jpg20190817_Whipple & Torco.jpgkeep this

What say we change this discussion to how much Torco is need to just to keep this over boosted old girl from blowing a hole thru a piston or two?