• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Problem with the Mothership

TazzGrDaddy

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
So my 93 Roadmaster Estate Wagon has been sitting for about 4 years I just cracked open the rear end and lube it with limited slip differential oil but I still have a strange sound like is catching or clicking or something stuck when I go in reverse or turn corners

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
So I should drain it and refill it because it was already full to the top
No, just suck enough out with a suction pump to allow the additive to be installed. You should only need one bottle of the POSI fluid!

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Actually I recently attended a multi hour session on Corvette second and third generation rebuilding of positraction units. The instructor was quite clear that the GM additive is no longer the same product that was used years ago. He clearly stated the current additive requires two bottles to properly work. You can try one but if the problem doesnt go away add a second.

torres7

Lincoln Nebraska
Buick Ownership
Buick RMW
Maybe you got the problem figured out by now but just a suggestion. Block the front wheels and jack up the rear end completely off the ground, put it in neutral and wiggle the driveshaft close to the pinion up and down, side to side and in and out, look for any play on the pinion.
The reason I'm saying this is because I had a Chevy Silverado with a posi and it started making weird noises, it started as a barely noticeable grinding under engine load, it got worst and one time the rear end just locked up. I found out the pinion bearing had gone bad and had quite a bit of play, when I opened the differential I realized the pinion gear had been chewing on the carrier. I believe it happens because the play on the bearing allows the pinion to wobble and it starts to grind on the carrier.
I hope this is not your situation but it's worth checking just in case, that way if your bearing is worn, you don't cause any more damage to the rest of the rear end.

TazzGrDaddy

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Maybe you got the problem figured out by now but just a suggestion. Block the front wheels and jack up the rear end completely off the ground, put it in neutral and wiggle the driveshaft close to the pinion up and down, side to side and in and out, look for any play on the pinion.
The reason I'm saying this is because I had a Chevy Silverado with a posi and it started making weird noises, it started as a barely noticeable grinding under engine load, it got worst and one time the rear end just locked up. I found out the pinion bearing had gone bad and had quite a bit of play, when I opened the differential I realized the pinion gear had been chewing on the carrier. I believe it happens because the play on the bearing allows the pinion to wobble and it starts to grind on the carrier.
I hope this is not your situation but it's worth checking just in case, that way if your bearing is worn, you don't cause any more damage to the rest of the rear end.
Thanks I got it up in the air right now I'll give you that a check

Pedal Commander