Put new shoes, I mean tires on TourX

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Put 255 45ZR 18 tires on TourX, what a difference. Discount tire said that was proper +1 size for vehicle. Went with Ultra high performance all seasons.
Best bang for buck were General G-Max AS-05's. Made car handle much better and seemed to improve ride quality! Are slightly smaller so at 65mph you are actually going 64.5mph or at 130mph your going 129mph.
As there tag line said if I remember corectly...sooner or later you will have Generals.
PS have stock Conti's with 1000 miles on them if anyone is interested. They are not the silent version they put on later vehicles.
LJ

Last edited:

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
Not to burst your bubble, but General is owned by Continental, so essentially these tires are cheaper version of Continental tires. I would go with Touring tires for improved comfort: Yokohama Advan GT, Michelin Premier, Toyo Versado Noir etc. I would also go with ultra light wheels for improved handling, such as Enkei RPF1, but sadly they don't make it for Opel Insignia.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Not to burst your bubble, but General is owned by Continental, so essentially these tires are cheaper version of Continental tires. I would go with Touring tires for improved comfort: Yokohama Advan GT, Michelin Premier, Toyo Versado Noir etc. I would also go with ultra light wheels for improved handling, such as Enkei RPF1, but sadly they don't make it for Opel Insignia.
I like the Enkei Raijin Wheels, but sadly RPF1 & Raijin are not available in 5 x 115 B.C. I had a set of gold center Silver rim 2 Piece Enkei on my Charger and they were good wheels.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I have had good luck with General tires, had a few sets on my Subaru and found them to be a great compromise between performance and cost. So I will definitely be looking at them when it is time for replacement since the TourX is no performance car but would benefit from stickier rubber. Since I will likely run dedicated snows I may opt for the higher performance version that is summer only.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Yeah knew that they were owned by Conti., but thanks for the info.
Apparently you are misinformed about tires..... These ultra high performance Generals ride so much better then OE Conti. touring tires which were 50 series and Generals are 45 series. With less sidewall to soak up bumps they should ride worse. If you need more info on tires try Tire Rack reviews and tests. Generals were near top of ultra high performance all seasons, but OE tires were in bottom half of ratings for not so grand touring tires.
I learned a long time ago you pick tires by performance not brand name, tire brands are not like comparing Chevy to Cadillac.

Last edited:

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
I had different tires in the past. Ultra-high performance usually get better in cornering and handling, but they are not good with fuel efficiency and ride comfort. Touring tires usually provide the best comfort and fuel efficiency, but their cornering is meh. However, new grand touring tires fixed those issues. Yokohama Advan GT performs like a very comfortable ultra high performance tire while also being a fuel saver. I haven't tried Pirelli Strada yet, I wonder how they perform. My top choice would be Michelin Premier, but they are expensive.
I am very happy with my Conti-silent OEM so far. I will use them until they wear out.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
[QUOTE="L J, post: 282816, member: 49094

PS have stock Conti's with 1000 miles on them if anyone is interested. They are not the silent version they put on later vehicles.
LJ
[/QUOTE]

My 5/18 build Tour-X does not have the ContiSilent tires. Guess they ran out when they installed the regular Continentals.

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
It was mentioned in many of the early road tests of the Sportback that fwd cars would get the ContiSilent tires, but AWD cars would not, at least not at first.

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
If not for the load rating difference, I'd put my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ from my Q50 on the TourX. From my motorcycling days, I care about maximum grip to stop, change directions, and accelerate when operating a vehicle.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I had different tires in the past. Ultra-high performance usually get better in cornering and handling, but they are not good with fuel efficiency and ride comfort. Touring tires usually provide the best comfort and fuel efficiency, but their cornering is meh. However, new grand touring tires fixed those issues. Yokohama Advan GT performs like a very comfortable ultra high performance tire while also being a fuel saver. I haven't tried Pirelli Strada yet, I wonder how they perform. My top choice would be Michelin Premier, but they are expensive.
I am very happy with my Conti-silent OEM so far. I will use them until they wear out.
Price is big factor for me... I have to be pretty thrifty to live above my means like I do.Those Generals were rated like much higher priced tires.

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
If not for the load rating difference, I'd put my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ from my Q50 on the TourX. From my motorcycling days, I care about maximum grip to stop, change directions, and accelerate when operating a vehicle.
I tried Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my previous car and I returned them. They were too bumpy and shaky, I felt like vomiting every day. Grand touring is going to be my pick in the future. Out of ultra-high performance tires that I had tried Nitto Motivo was really good, very similar to Toyo Proxes 4 Plus (since they are the same company), but much more stable in the rain and more comfortable.

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
Price is big factor for me... I have to be pretty thrifty to live above my means like I do.Those Generals were rated like much higher priced tires.
I heard good things about them and I did almost buy them once. I also saw Consumer Reports rated General Altimax RT43 way above their price category. Since Altimax is considered a touring tire, I wonder how they perform. Are they very similar to our stock Conti's?

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
I have had good luck with General tires, had a few sets on my Subaru and found them to be a great compromise between performance and cost. So I will definitely be looking at them when it is time for replacement since the TourX is no performance car but would benefit from stickier rubber. Since I will likely run dedicated snows I may opt for the higher performance version that is summer only.
The stickiest tires I tried were Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. They were crazy planted on the road. But they also had rubbery feedback over bumps and fuel economy went down around 6 MPGs. I did not keep them, since I do not care about performance much, but I want my comfort and fuel economy.

bespinct

Buick Ownership
TourX
I heard good things about them and I did almost buy them once. I also saw Consumer Reports rated General Altimax RT43 way above their price category. Since Altimax is considered a touring tire, I wonder how they perform. Are they very similar to our stock Conti's?
It's comparing Buick's to Subaru's, but we replaced the OEM Bridgestone's on my wifes 2015 Outback with the Altimax43's when the OEM's were done. I find them to be an improvement over the OEM tires, but I could really only compare them to the worn tires. No issues with the Bridgestone's when they were new. Like many have said, the value of price/rating made the tire choice a no brainer.

Steve F.

Buick Ownership
Potential TourX owner
Wow, looking at the pictures these tires seem to fit the rim perfectly even though they are a wider tire. This looks like a better size than stock. I hate it when the tire is the same width as the rim, it doesn’t look right if there is no bulge in the sidewall plus it means you automatically scrape your rims if you even graze a curb.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
What was the original size of tire you replaced ???

I put Michelin Premier on the front. I like them and they're crazy awesome in the wet too.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is in my opinion the best all season performance tire.
I settled for the Premier's because I got a kick ass deal.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Wow, looking at the pictures these tires seem to fit the rim perfectly even though they are a wider tire. This looks like a better size than stock. I hate it when the tire is the same width as the rim, it doesn’t look right if there is no bulge in the sidewall plus it means you automatically scrape your rims if you even graze a curb.
agreed - it’s surprising given our wheel width. I was looking to upsize wheels, but I think I will just stay with what I have and upgrade to this size when the Conti’s wear out. Now wondering how fast the TourX will burn through these given weight and AWD :unsure:

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
which were 50 series and Generals are 45 series. With less sidewall to soak up bumps they should ride worse.
That's a little misleading. You probably know the difference, but I'm still going to post this for others that may happen along...

The "series" is the height to width ratio . . . so your new tires may be 45 series, but 45's can be taller that 50's if the 50 series is wider - like your new tires are 255mm instead of the OEM 235mm.

While the 235/50R18 do have a slightly bigger sidewall than your 255/45R18's, a 225/50R18 actually has a smaller sidewall than your 45 series.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
That's a little misleading. You probably know the difference, but I'm still going to post this for others that may happen along...

The "series" is the height to width ratio . . . so your new tires may be 45 series, but 45's can be taller that 50's if the 50 series is wider - like your new tires are 255mm instead of the OEM 235mm.

While the 235/50R18 do have a slightly bigger sidewall than your 255/45R18's, a 225/50R18 actually has a smaller sidewall than your 45 series.
I have always tried to upgrade tires on my vehicles.
I rarely spend money on wheels, but did have to get new wheels to upgrade tire size on my Quadrasteer truck.
It had 265 70 17 size stock, so got take off 18 inch GM wheels to upgrade to 285 60 18 tires that are same height as stock to keep speedo correct. Not like the old days when no computers ...upgraded 70 TA with 15 X 7 stock Kelsey Hayes wheels from F60's to L60's. Had 3.73 gears ...so taller tire was a plus in Nv, when tacked out at 135 and no speed limit. Really wanted honeodrive overdrive unit back in the day.
Back then it seemed they had no specs on min recommened rim width, or no one paid attention.
So to make a short story long, and short again ...I always try to get the biggest tire that will not hit fenders and will fit on stock wheels, staying within rim width requirements of tire.