Putting an older (no airbag) steering wheel on a 92 Lesabre

OptimistPrime

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I've got a 92 Lesabre with the horrible first generation airbag and weird horn buttons. I've put up with it for years, but today the airbag warning light started going off. I take it this means the airbag won't be inflating, not that I ever put much stock in something so ancient to work properly. I'll probably just put a piece of black electrical tape over the light like I did with the car's other lights. But now that the airbag is out of the picture, I'm wondering if the wheel from a previous generation Lesabre or Park Ave would fit. Or alternatively, is it better to go with one of the slightly later Lesabre wheels where they figured out how to put the horn button in the center, like a normal car. My wheel has become spongy around the top, and one of my horn buttons broke off. I'm definitely in the market for a new wheel, but unsure which generation Buick to pull from.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Without pulling from your own generation you have no way of knowing what mechanical, different spline and size of column shaft, or electrical/electronic complications you will run into. Ignoring lights of any kind can lead to more complications.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
Airbag warning light means it could go off at any time. I would probably open the steering wheel and disconnect it if anything. There may be a proper procedure to follow for this; even if the battery is diconnected there can be backup power for it to go off and may still do so when disconnecting it. Make sure you're not in the area it's in when the (likely yellow) wire is disconnected.

OptimistPrime

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I took the dash apart yesterday to see if I could spot the problem. But when I turned the car on, the light was gone. Must be a loose connection or something in there. I didn't notice anything except a couple of bolts that had gone missing, which I replaced. I'm real worried about this thing going off on me, either if I ignore the problem or if I try to fix it.

From what I'm seeing, the 92-93 models apparently used a unique steering column. I really hope I'm not stuck pulling from that particular year group, because I almost never see cars of that vintage at the junkyard. Would an aftermarket wheel be an option?

carlos&carlos

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick LeSabre Custom
What color are you looking for?

1572289702260.png

A few weeks ago I was looking for one that fits the 99. I saw them "brand new" for 130 bucks. I still am having doubts if replacing it or repairing the loose color on the surface.

This guy on eBay is selling one that might fit you car for 148 bucks. Just search on eBay: "92 Buick Lesabre steering wheel". Probably there are more steering wheels on sale over there that fit your car.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
I took the dash apart yesterday to see if I could spot the problem. But when I turned the car on, the light was gone
This can happen, especially when a car has been sitting for a while and is being put back on the road. My Lincoln will do it if the battery is needing attention or replacement or maybe even if things are a bit moist from having sat too long. Recently putting back on the road my family's last year of the old Explorer before it was changed to the current model, the airbag light was on when it was first started up but went out later. I wouldn't personally worry unless it's often or always illuminated.

OptimistPrime

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
What color are you looking for?

View attachment 19151

A few weeks ago I was looking for one that fits the 99. I saw them "brand new" for 130 bucks. I still am having doubts if replacing it or repairing the loose color on the surface.

This guy on eBay is selling one that might fit you car for 148 bucks. Just search on eBay: "92 Buick Lesabre steering wheel". Probably there are more steering wheels on sale over there that fit your car.

Blue. That's the style I'm interested in, though.

OptimistPrime

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This can happen, especially when a car has been sitting for a while and is being put back on the road. My Lincoln will do it if the battery is needing attention or replacement or maybe even if things are a bit moist from having sat too long. Recently putting back on the road my family's last year of the old Explorer before it was changed to the current model, the airbag light was on when it was first started up but went out later. I wouldn't personally worry unless it's often or always illuminated.

It may have been caused by a loose battery ground, because I just changed the battery and I guess one of the terminals didn't get tightened down enough.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!