Question About Change Oil Light?

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
So my car's change oil light came on this morning and flashed several times and chimed, I am due for an oil change but then the light went out? It also did the same thing on my lunch when I started the car again? Odd. Also could I stretch it to the 5k mark for an oil change OR every 3k?? Tia!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The chime it will continue until it's reset more than likely. As far as time between changes it is all depending on if it's regular oil, synthetic oil blend or synthetic which can be 3K, 5K, 7.5K based on what's used. On the 5K+ it's good to get a oil filter designed for the high milage changes.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
My error for not reading someone else's manual LOL.

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
Welp stupid me, figured I had to add about two quarts of oil to hold off when I can get an oil change!

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Won't forget that tip myself on oil checks and warnings. Only question is why oil had dropped so low? Have had similiar instances myself......

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
GM claims, depending on year, make, model and engine, that 1qt per 2k-3k is "normal". So on the longer synthetic oil changes at the 5 to 7.5K range this gets to be a problem if due diligence isn't done in checking it regularly. I'm sure that oil life and oil level is assumed, by a few, to be the same which is a expensive repair waiting to happen.

SD73

Buick Ownership
2006 Buick LaCrosse CX
I've found the using oil true on a few of my 3800s. What's helped me get a little more time between adding oil is moving the the Fixed Orifice PCV valves.

GM claims, depending on year, make, model and engine, that 1qt per 2k-3k is "normal". So on the longer synthetic oil changes at the 5 to 7.5K range this gets to be a problem if due diligence isn't done in checking it regularly. I'm sure that oil life and oil level is assumed, by a few, to be the same which is a expensive repair waiting to happen.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
if he had to add two quarts the dipstick may not have had any oil on it or definitely below the cross hatched area of the stick.

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
I learned that once it started blinking that hey maybe I should check it, (I did) yes it was below the cross hatched area hence why I added two quarts of oil it was at the proper level with the engine off and cold, gave it about 5-7 days later and it was still at the proper level. I' admit I could've done some sort of damage to the engine by pure neglect (my fault) so I am getting the oil changed today. I do a lot of driving so yes more miles, wear etc.. I just want my stuff to last. I know the 3800's are beasts when taken care of with proper maintenance and upkeep!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.