Question on using LED for high beams and DRL

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
While it is generally frowned upon by society to use LED or HID in a reflector housing, I've wondered if is it an acceptable practice for use in the Park Avenue's DRL/highbeam. I don't use my highbeams into oncoming traffic, so the risk of blinding other people is eliminated. The real question is whether or not they would function adequately as daytime running lights. Some on the forums say no, while certain manufacturers claim that their system is designed to recognized the reduced operating voltage of the daytime running light and compensate accordingly by operating only some of the diodes in order to keep the daytime brightness to a manageable/polite level. Has anyone had any experience with these?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I updated my Lucerne with LED's for low beam / DRL which are always the same level, but I tried to keep the Lumen and K rating close to stock, I also did the brake (needed the resistors) and back up lights which are brighter than stock. How the PA works on dimming for DRL is beyond my knowledge, but I've had no problems or getting hit with the high beams from others. I admit I have seen cars where they are running way too high of a Lumen K rating, it seems they also have a exhaust that sounds like a unturned weed wacker lol

Attachments

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
I updated my Lucerne with LED's for low beam / DRL which are always the same level, but I tried to keep the Lumen and K rating close to stock, I also did the brake (needed the resistors) and back up lights which are brighter than stock. How the PA works on dimming for DRL is beyond my knowledge, but I've had no problems or getting hit with the high beams from others. I admit I have seen cars where they are running way too high of a Lumen K rating, it seems they also have a exhaust that sounds like a unturned weed wacker lol
In that case, the Lucerne and Park Avenue must differ in that way, because Park Avenue has high-beams that do double duty as DRLs (by simply running them at a lower voltage, thereby reducing the brightness) rather than having this functionality shared by the main headlights (as must be the case on Lucerne). We can still learn from this though - could you tell me how high-beams work on Lucerne? Is there a separate filament in the halogens that activates for highbeam? If that's the case, then the application must be different, as the voltage would be the same between the two.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Separate bulb and wiring on the high beams, I didn't replace them as they don't really get used and stock ones work good enough. There was some ways, it was when the DRL idea first started, to turn them off not sure if that's a option on yours.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
Separate bulb and wiring on the high beams, I didn't replace them as they don't really get used and stock ones work good enough. There was some ways, it was when the DRL idea first started, to turn them off not sure if that's a option on yours.
That's what would happen. On most L.E.D. highbeams, (presumably) the whole thing will just give out when it doesn't receive enough voltage to run. For most of the L.E.D. options available, I would presumably get either flickering or no light at all when the car is in gear during the daytime. My question is if anyone has found any lamps that do accept the lower voltage and adjust their brightness accordingly to allow it to function as a proper DRL.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
I'll have to ask. Most of those look like the generic garden-variety modules that support no lower than 9 volts, according to their specifications. It is entirely possible that the sellers who answered me already were simply being dishonest. I'll ask around a bit more though. Either way, I don't feel that an overpriced ($70) product is the answer.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
Here is a site that list how to disabled the DRL and they do mention that Buick can be pain on some years, could be an idea here to make LED work, my 95 and 07 are dumb bulb cars thank God lol.

DADRL - How To Disable DRLs
Well, using a Led highbeam that doesn't support 6volt operation is a sure-fire way to disable it. The whole reason why I am asking this question, however, is because I do want to keep it. If I didn't care about DRL, then I'd just buy the cheapest L.E.D. kit that I could find.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Well, using a Led highbeam that doesn't support 6volt operation is a sure-fire way to disable it. The whole reason why I am asking this question, however, is because I do want to keep it. If I didn't care about DRL, then I'd just buy the cheapest L.E.D. kit that I could find.
The site gets into details on what wires control which functions on various Buick models years. There are relays an capacitor kits for HID, but again it's getting into trying to customize at lot of stuff to bend around a system that cannot be changed and still may not work. Sorry couldn't find the simple answer and believe me it's just as hard with a Lucerne when something works on all the others then I see that *except Lucerne part.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
Great progress has been made since last time and I did a whole lot of learning in the process, but have hit another snag and will need the help of the community. Here's what I know so far:

Thing 1 - 9005 LED highbeams that both fit this car and support dimming for DRL do exist (although they are few and far between). I found these using an excellent independent resource. I ordered them last week and bench-tested them this past weekend. Wired in series, their brightness is halved and they appear to be excellent candidates for DRL.

Thing 2 - With both units installed normally, (scenario 1, pictured below) the highbeams work, but the DRL functionality does not work at all. This is apparently due to the fact that the polarity of the driver-side highbeam is reversed in DRL mode, disabling the driver-side DRL as well as the passenger side module that runs in series behind it.

Thing 3 - If I install the passenger side highbeam forward, and reverse the polarity on the driver-side highbeam, (scenario 2, pictured) then DRL functionality works 100% for both, but only the passenger-side highbeam works.

97Ultra over on gmforum describes it better than I could:

Why this works. When operating the regular high beam headlamps (not DRL), the Lamp Control Module (LCM) feeds +12VDC to both headlamps separately; the passenger side headlamp grounds through a nearby chassis ground, and the left driver side headlamp grounds through the LCM itself since it has no local chassis ground. In this mode, the high beam headlamps are operating in parallel.

When the headlamps are off and the DRL are triggered, the LCM feeds +12VDC to the "ground" wire of the driver side high-beam headlamp, and the current flows in "reverse" through the driver side headlamp and grounds through the passenger side headlamp. In this mode, the high beam headlamps are operating in series, decreasing the current (and light output) somewhat.

I had a hard time understanding this until I illustrated it in simplified fashion, as seen in the attached diagram. The blue writing represents the circuit in highbeam mode. The orange represents how it operates in DRL mode (series). Now it all makes sense. The passenger side highbeam never changes, but the polarity of the driver-side highbeam switches depending on what mode the car is in (highbeam or DRL).

TL;DR? Basically, what needs to happen here is that I need to find a way to buy and/or build a small & inexpensive device/relay that can instantly and automatically un-reverse the polarity provided to the driver-side highbeam anytime it switches. Otherwise, what I want to do is simply not feasible. Do any of our electrical people know if such a piece of equipment exists?

Attachments

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You may want to check out this site as it may be more likely to point, if not already have, something that could work for application.
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram4.html

Also a "out the box thinking" could be the off road lighting products as they have much more auxiliary lighting added in to modern system and may have a relay type available.

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It appears you have found a answer, but from what I've been reading is Buick may have different set ups on different years (?) which may make it difficult to match.

For anyone else, look for - DC 12v DPDT DPDT Relay Module Reverse Polarity on ebay. You'll have to find a reliable electronics person to review these, but it may solve the DRL polarity problem.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
Im not sure if its my aftermarket housings but my LED highbeams dim and work as DRL just fine. I used these auxbeams https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G16BWLC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and a headlight housing from
Buick Park Avenue SUBZERO LED 20-5229-00-P-LED

Im not sure if something in the wiring of the headlight housing is doing it. one of these days I can put in my old housing and see if my bulb works with DRL in it. I want to say its the bulb.
Thanks for the data. In my conversation with the person who runs bulbfacts.com, I arrived at the same conclusion (some sets can accept reverse polarity and accommodate accordingly). It's good to know that those modules fit though. I'll compare to the J87 7S (which are said to auto-reverse as well) and choose accordingly.

It appears you have found a answer, but from what I've been reading is Buick may have different set ups on different years (?) which may make it difficult to match.

For anyone else, look for - DC 12v DPDT DPDT Relay Module Reverse Polarity on ebay. You'll have to find a reliable electronics person to review these, but it may solve the DRL polarity problem.
That might be an option too, although I'll consider plug-n-play bulbs first though. 1997-2005 for this car is all basically the same.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
Well, I broke down and bought the Auxbeam F-16 (despite this model's reputation for radio interference, wimpy components, and short service life). So far, things aren't looking good. While they do accept reverse polarity, I get absolutely nothing from them when wired in series on my test bench. Are you sure that this was the model that you had installed in your Park Avenue and achieved working DRL with?

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue
Really? I have the F-16 and its been marvelous for me, no issues so far in both cars. Like I said, I did get after market housings, but the harness appears identical to the original and the wires in the same spot, I had to do no splicing or anything.

And it works, when I put it in drive or reverse the high beams come on in reduced brightness level.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.