Question on using LED for high beams and DRL

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
And it works, when I put it in drive or reverse the high beams come on in reduced brightness level.
Fascinating. It is entirely possible (as has already been the case once or twice in this thread) that I am mistaken about how this actually works. I've not actually tried installing the F-16 set in the car yet, but I think I will do so anyway this weekend and try them out for a week. If the daytime running lights wind up working, then we'll just have to chalk it up to my own misunderstanding of the process. If they don't, then it's possible that there might be different revisions of this product. I don't think that the housings have anything to do with it, since there is no wiring or electrical components inside of them.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
I installed the F-16 highbeams today and can confirm that the ones that I purchased do not seem to support operation at lower voltage, contrary to the findings of both BulbFacts.com and one other person in this thread, but I'm not saying that anybody is lying or mistaken. Instead, I suspect that I'm the odd man out and wound up with either an earlier or later revision of the product that doesn't support dimming. At this point, I'll give them a try just to see how I like them as highbeams before deciding whether or not I can live without DRL.

It is worth mentioning that they just barely fit. In fact, I think that the heatsink assembly might have actually been touching the plastic piece that sticks out directly behind the highbeam.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
There was another interesting development in the DRL saga today. After I went to use the car this afternoon, I noticed light coming from the highbeams after I put it in gear, through the reflection in the windows on the front of the building. It appears that my initial assumption of the DRL being non-functional, based solely on the fact that the highbeams didn't light when I unlocked the car, was the wrong assumption. Apparently, these lights do support being wired in series and being run at reduced voltage.

As far as I know, there is no difference on the technical side between the entry lighting/feedback and DRL, so the only possible explanation I have right now for the DRL working, but the lights not flashing or lighting in response to unlocking or locking the door, is that the running engine brings the voltage up high enough for the lights to work. 12.6/2 = 6.3volts on battery, and 14/2 = 7volts on alternator. Maybe ~7 volts is the magic cutoff point for these lights.

With that in mind, the question remains whether or not these are actually dimming, and how much. I got out to observe them when I got back today (by setting the parking brake and shifting into neutral) and thought that they looked kind of bright, but this might have just been because I was standing right next to them. The question remains whether they are actually being dimmed adequately for purposes of DRL or if the driver is just compensating for low input voltage. If it's sunny enough this weekend, I will attempt to perform a direct comparison in front of the garage. If there is no noticeable difference in brightness between the supplied highbeam voltage and DRL, then this will obviously be a problem. Until then, I'll closely watch out for anyone flashing their lights or giving me stink-eye out on the road.

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue
When I did my test in front of my garage.. although in sunlight, on a white garage, in the snow, when put in gear vs me putting the high beams on I do notice the pattern of light is the same(same bulb lighting up) but brighter. That was me personally. Mine comes on with perimeter lighting. Does your vehicle have permiter lighting or light/horn feedback to the keyfob? Those are options on our cars. I set mine with my Tech 2.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
When I did my test in front of my garage.. although in sunlight, on a white garage, in the snow, when put in gear vs me putting the high beams on I do notice the pattern of light is the same(same bulb lighting up) but brighter. That was me personally.
I'll check it out this weekend and see if I can replicate those results. My (short) commute home today did see weather bright enough for DRL, so I kept close watch in various reflections for light too bright and for stink-eye from others on the road. So far, so good. I'll test it formally this weekend and make a final determination regarding the brightness. Either way, I'm disappointed that the F-16 can't be rotated in order to accommodate for the cockeyed angle that the Park Avenue's highbeams are installed.

Mine comes on with perimeter lighting. Does your vehicle have permiter lighting or light/horn feedback to the keyfob? Those are options on our cars. I set mine with my Tech 2.
Yes. The DRLs normally do flash when locking or unlocking the doors (or at least they did with the halogen highbeams). Also, the DRLs come on solid when unlocking in night mode. I do have that option set in the preferences.

G-944742

Hmm. I know I had no clearance issues with my aftermarket housings. One of these days when it warms up I will test one of my old housings out and see if anything changes.

PA2013

The Midwest
Buick Ownership
1998 Park Ave
Hmm. I know I had no clearance issues with my aftermarket housings. One of these days when it warms up I will test one of my old housings out and see if anything changes.
I don't think the housings would make a whole lot of difference, as they are likely molded identically to the originals. There is, however, that little plastic notch in the assembly behind the headlights that gets in the way. In the attached image, I've removed the entire headlight unit and circled (in red) the notch that sits almost directly behind the highbeam lamp. This little bugger is what moderately restricts what highbeams we can use in the Park Avenue.

Again, the F-16 lamps do fit, but just barely. It's so close, that they might even be touching that plastic bit, but it's such a tight space that I can't actually tell for sure. Either way, it seems to work, so I'll stick with it for now to see what happens. What I'm most curious about is how the cockeyed (and unadjustable) resting angle impacts beam pattern and peak brightness.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.