Question: Sway Bar

I posted this in the Regal Forum but that forum looks kind of dead compared to this one. So, I'll copy and paste the question here hoping this lively forum can produce an answer. ~ Don't be DUH'ing my ass either. I'm asking because I want to learn something here.

The sway bar on our 03 Regal LS was cracked on the ends ... both sides. I ordered another one from Rock Auto for $90 shipped. Links and everything included, a great deal. (www.rockauto.com)

When we removed the old sway bar it was hollow. The new one is much heavier and solid, not hollow. (The old one looked like the ends of the tube were pinched together and tack welded ... and the end cracked in half leaving only the top part mounted to the links)

The car has a much firmer ride taking corners and curves now, not a problem for me at all. In fact, I like the ride better than when the original sway bar was on it.

Was the original sway bar for a more floaty ride or a GM cost saving/weight move?

Last edited:

The Roadagon

Valley Forge, Pa
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster wagon
I dont honestly know if GM ever used hollow sway bars. Most of the standard performance sway bars are solid steel. I think they are built that way because solid bars are very durable and reasonably inexpensive to manufacture. A few high end perf. suspension companies are producing
hollow bars ,I think mostly because of weight considerations. The hollow bars ,if engineered properly,can also be very durable,but pretty expensive. ed

Ed, I found the following at:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t90...it_to_drive_with_cracked_sway_bar_links_.html

BNaylor
06-05-2008, 09:04 AM

It actually breaks in half.

Because the stabilizer bar is cheap and hollow it is subject to failure by cracking where it mounts to the end link at the control arm and several inches before that. Typically if you live in high corrosion and rust areas. Common on all GM "W" body cars such as Regal, Grand Prix, Intrigue, Impala, Monte Carlo and Century, etc.

EOQ

My links were fine but the bar was cracked at both ends as this gent mentioned.

The replacement is a Dorman, and one of their ads mentioned that their product was desirable due to the cracking of OEM ... but I cannot find the ad again.

The car is much more responsive now, more like my 93 Eurosport Lumina than the original ride of this car.

CAFE standards being what they are, car companies look for ways to reduce weight in vehicles. That was my thinking on this but hoped someone had a definitive answer.

That's what you have to look forward to in retirement Ed! All kinds of crazy thoughts from people with too much time on their hands.

Thanks Ed ... guess this should go back to the zombie forum, er, Regal Forum.

Last edited:
Are you sure the hollow bar was the factory bar? ed

OK Ed, found the ad and it's exactly what happened to my stabilizer bar:

http://www.dormanguide.com/sway-bar-kits.html

The Roadagon

Valley Forge, Pa
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster wagon
Hey Roadmaster, That origional part is sure one cheap-ass looking sway bar. The aftermarket hollow bars that I have previously seen are very
well designed units,that look nothing like your origional bar. GM has been
building better cars lately,but that part is a very poor excuse for something that is supposed to add safety to a vehicle. ed

Get your turbo buick badge right here!