• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Questions about Adaptive Cruise

thesyguy

In the wind
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Been reading through the owner's manual before I pick up my TourX and have questions about the ACC.

How well does the system maintain the distance to the car ahead?

Will the system brake until the vehicle is completely stopped?

Are there any quirks in the system I should know before using it?

I am coming from a 2019 Subaru Legacy with the Eyesight system and the ACC was very effective and required little to no input in braking once the system was activated. When I first bough the vehicle I drove home from a friend's vacation home in Lincoln, New Hampshire on a Sunday morning to my home in Raynham, MA. 175-miles total and the route passed directly through Boston and the tunnel. I set the ACC when I got on the highway in Lincoln and did not have to touch the brake pedal at all for the entire trip. The car even stopped at the end of the offramp near my home as there was a car directly in front of me getting off the same exit. To say that I was impressed is an understatement. It handled traffic in the tunnel without any issues and even properly braked when some a-hole cut across the front of the car while he was doing a double lane change from low speed lane to high speed lane right in front of me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I find the ACC system works great in steady traffic, but it takes some intervention on a more open highway. It will brake to a complete stop and following distance is set in three stages via the menu. But even the shortest distance is not short enough (at least in NJ) to keep people from jumping in front of you.

On an open road I find it works well but I tend to intervene more. I think the difference is the speed differential. When you are in traffic it is just responding to small changes in speed at a time and the braking is smooth. But say you are in the right lane doing 70 and come up on a truck doing 55. You either have to pull over way before you get to it, apply a little throttle or ease into the brakes before it brakes. Because it tends to brake excessively which tends to make passengers nervous. But after a while you figure out the timing and get a feel for it.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Hello Raynham from Barrington RI….I think that the ACC works well but there is no question that it takes some getting used to. I use it on the highway but only when the traffic is not heavy. My only gripe is that if I’m not paying attention I find myself cruising at a lower speed behind other vehicles. I’ll watch for you on Rt 24!!

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
Because it tends to brake excessively which tends to make passengers nervous.
This is really the biggest issue with the system. It will "see" the slower vehicle as indicated in the DIC, but it doesn't let up on the speed or apply the brakes until the vehicle you are approaching is within the follow distance that has been set. If I am approaching a car that is going much slower, I usually have to adjust my speed down manually or change lanes before I get within the follow distance space and it crams on the brakes.

thesyguy

In the wind
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Thanks to all three of you. (y)

This provides the info I was looking to get. It prepares me for the situation before use so it is not a surprise.

The Subaru system seems to be more advanced than most as it uses dual cameras to track the vehicles ahead. Hard braking only occurs when someone cuts you off. Approach to cars ahead is very gradual and is almost imperceptible to passengers.

One other question. How does the system perform in snowy/rainy/foggy conditions. This is where the Subaru system fails as the cameras are easily "blocked" and the system goes offline for long periods of time. I would assume the Buick system would be more robust as it uses radar/camera combination to track the gap.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Rain or light fog has never been a problem, but I prefer to be in complete control if the conditions are too nasty or slippery. There have been some people that commented about ACC not available in the winter due to ice/snow build up on the grill but I don't think I have ever seen it.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
One other question. How does the system perform in snowy/rainy/foggy conditions. This is where the Subaru system fails as the cameras are easily "blocked" and the system goes offline for long periods of time. I would assume the Buick system would be more robust as it uses radar/camera combination to track the gap.

Looks like @Wlepse just beat me to it.... But if the radar is blocked as on a snowy day, the ACC will shut down and you get no cruise control at all - not even old school cruise control. I cannot speak for rainy and foggy days and I do not use ACC under those conditions.

Also note, if you are cruising, for example, 50 mph and you are approaching a car sitting at a red light, the AAC will not pick up that car. Admittedly though... I have not completely played out this scenario as I'm not interested in soiling myself.

thesyguy

In the wind
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Looks like @Wlepse just beat me to it.... But if the radar is blocked as on a snowy day, the ACC will shut down and you get no cruise control at all - not even old school cruise control. I cannot speak for rainy and foggy days and I do not use ACC under those conditions.

Also note, if you are cruising, for example, 50 mph and you are approaching a car sitting at a red light, the AAC will not pick up that car. Admittedly though... I have not completely played out this scenario as I'm not interested in soiling myself.
Thanks.

I should have been clearer about the rain/fog question. I do not use the ACC in those conditions either. The question was more in regards to the rest of the safety systems (FCA, FAB, FPB) operating. The entire Subaru system goes offline in rain/fog situations.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Just gonna link a post I have written previously instead of writing everything out again. Everything still holds true since my linked post. I also shared a handful of other ACC related threads that extensively cover how the system works/reacts in different scenarios. There's a lot of reading, but it's all there.

I have come to really love ACC. It becomes invaluable on trips if you ever need to follow family or friends. Just set the ACC 10 over their cruising speed and enjoy the ride. One of my favorite features of ACC is that when it brakes to a complete stop behind a car, to get rolling again all you have to do is hit the "resume" toggle on the steering wheel. Of course, hitting the pedal works too, but it's handier (no pun intended) to use the steering wheel.

Last edited:

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
The question was more in regards to the rest of the safety systems (FCA, FAB, FPB) operating. The entire Subaru system goes offline in rain/fog situations.
I haven't driven in much dense fog with it, but the adaptive cruise can cope with a decent amount of rain and road spray. If that's working (green car indicator when you are behind somebody), the auto warn/brake function is armed too.

I think the single camera near the rear view mirror is only used for the (rather terrible) lane keep assist. The manual says, "ACC uses a radar sensor to detect other vehicles."

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I know this is not an answer to your ACC question, but to all you newer owners, the Owners Manual Cruise Control Instructions is WRONG when it comes to switching between ACC and Regular Cruise Control. The difference is that you CANNOT switch to regular Cruise Control. The car is set to ACC and you can’t switch to Regular CC (or vice versa).

As it is, I like ACC. Although in my other car, I’m able to switch between the two, I don’t.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Well, the lawyers must have some input on this:
1623114712433.png
Meanwhile, I swear I have set the ACC at lower speed than 25 MPH.
1623114799991.png
And they could have at least not use a Cadillac CT6 picture on our manual.
1623114852772.png

Lastly, I do not find anywhere on my copy of the manual that we can switch to regular cruise. Any idea on which page did you guys see it?

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
the manual states 25 KMH, not MPH. The mph minimum is allegedly 16mph, but I've for sure set it at 15mph. Literally every day, since the speed limit through my place of work is 15mph.
Ah, I misread that. But you have also pointed out what I have tried as well. Like minds think alike! :LOL:

novoseb

Cincinnati, OH
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Minor tip, but the lane change turn signal buys you a few extra seconds as you approach a slower car. You can feel the car slowing down and then let off after hitting the signal. Usually enough to change lanes without slowing down or cancelling.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners