Questions about the Encore

Necros

Buick Newbie
Buick
Hi folks, I'm considering buying an AWD Encore soon. I had some questions though.. I like how it seems high tech inside and has more creature comforts than anything else I've seen in the same price range. I'd much prefer an Enclave, but that's is going to be way beyond my price range.

I read somewhere that when you are stopped, when you start moving you are in AWD mode but then it shuts off after you reach 35 MPH. Is this true? Will it still kick in if your front wheels slip? Or does the AWD only work if you're driving slow?

I'm not looking for an off-road vehicle, but will it drive well on dirt, sand or mud? I won't be tearing through any off-road parks but I may want to go on the occasional camping or fishing trip.

How would you rate the overall comfort level? My daily commute is about an hour each way, we'll sometimes do little road trips about 2 hours away and once or twice a year I'll have a 10 hour drive ahead of me.. My current 2010 ford escape kind of kills my back after a trip like that. I'm planning to go with the Leather upgrade since I really want the heated seats.

And lastly, I never had a GPS in my car but I'm considering it now. I read that with some cars you have to pay for new map updates, I think I read that the GPS in the Mini costs $200 for an upgrade. Just wondering if Buick will be the same way? or are updates free? Most of the handheld GPS units you can buy come with free maps for life, seems silly to have to pay extra for one built into your car.. especially when adding it to your car costs like 3-4x more than buying a handheld device and a little dashboard mount.

Detroit, USA
All wheel drive uses front wheel drive for ordinary driving conditions and automatically adds rear wheel drive capability as needed.

The current MSRP for the Encore AWD 1SD Convenience (which is the lowest trim with the navigation system) is $26,510.00 with a destination charge of $750.00.

The Color Navigation With Intellilink is available on any trim besides the 1SB and has an MSRP of $795.00.

Keep in mind that all prices provided represent the current Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price and do not include tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional or dealer installed equipment. I hope this helps. Your local dealer should also be able to assist you further. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

Necros

Buick Newbie
Buick
Thanks, I guess I was mostly just wondering if we would normally have to pay for map updates for the GPS? or are they free?

Also, are leather seats really the only way to get heated seats? I really want heated seats, but I actually prefer cloth. Or is there any kind of way for the dealer to install heaters in cloth seats after the fact?

Detroit, USA
Typically navigation is updated through navigation discs that are purchased as needed. You can get more information from GM Navigation Support at 1-866-351-7608. Heated driver and passenger seats are standard on the Leather and Premium packages for the 2013 Encore. Let me know if you need anything else.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

Encore Girl

San Francisco, CA
Buick Encore Leather, Navi, Sun & Bose
Thanks, I guess I was mostly just wondering if we would normally have to pay for map updates for the GPS? or are they free?

Also, are leather seats really the only way to get heated seats? I really want heated seats, but I actually prefer cloth. Or is there any kind of way for the dealer to install heaters in cloth seats after the fact?
The simple answer to your question is yes. I've had Honda's, Toyota's & Chevy w/nav systems & all of them required you to pay for a map update, but the more important thing is would you actually need one... Unless you live in an area where there is a lot of development going on, I would say no. The number of times you would run into trouble would be relatively low in the standard window of ownership (5-10 years).

If you live in an area where there is a lot of redevelopment going on, you may want to buy a update in a few years but keep in mine each update is usually about a year old by the time it hits the market.

The bonus you get with the Encore (or any GM vehicle) is OnStar, their maps are always up to date & if you have them download the destination to you, it shouldn't matter what map version you're using because the POI will be updated.

kheatherly

Buick Encore, Convenience Package
If you pay for Onstar and download the app, there is a "nav" button which will allow you to enter a destination and the directions are sent to your vehicle; no separate navigation system needed! I use mine frequently.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!