Radiator Replacement Regal LS 1997

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello,
Car is Buick Regal LS 1997 3.8L engine.
My radiator leaks antifreeze and needs replacement.
Do I need ramps to replace it?
Asking cause I don't have ramps nor other ways to raise the car.

How long does it take to replace the radiator?
Any special tools needed?
What parts do I need to remove besides radiator?
Any cheap parts (for example rings or gaskets) that are better to replace during this job also, since there's likely a lot of parts need to be removed?
Thank you!

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
If smbd could recommend a video on radiator replacement in Buick Regal LS 1997 or similar car, that would be very helpful!
I found one for Buick LeSabre, which seems pretty different from my car.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
This may help, but it's a lot cover for someone who hasn't done it before. Plus as with any car project of age there is always the unknown problem that can occur. Getting a service manual on your car may be the first step and/or have someone who's done it lend a helping eye out when doing it.
How to remove radiator from 1999 buick regal LS

Can't say that there's a video, but you can check also on other similar GM models.

As far as a shopping list and considering that we have no idea what has been done or condition of parts. Upper and lower radiator hoses, hose clamps, thermostat and gasket, antifreeze, transmission fluid, these would be the basics.

Time, patience, label removed parts, read instructions twice, double check it's installed correctly and you should be good to go.

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
This may help, but it's a lot cover for someone who hasn't done it before. Plus as with any car project of age there is always the unknown problem that can occur. Getting a service manual on your car may be the first step and/or have someone who's done it lend a helping eye out when doing it.
How to remove radiator from 1999 buick regal LS

Can't say that there's a video, but you can check also on other similar GM models.

As far as a shopping list and considering that we have no idea what has been done or condition of parts. Upper and lower radiator hoses, hose clamps, thermostat and gasket, antifreeze, transmission fluid, these would be the basics.

Time, patience, label removed parts, read instructions twice, double check it's installed correctly and you should be good to go.
Thank you Sir!

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
Anybody has experience with ULTRA-POWER 1889 part?
Just wonder if ULTRA-POWER quality is fine?
This part is showing as popular on rockauto

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
Is it possible to replace radiator w/o raising car?
I don't have ramps now and in current situation it doesn't make sense to buy them, cause I will have to trash them in few weeks

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You should be able to get to everything in and out from the top, long arms for the lower parts, lower radiator hose and trans line lol.

Some radiators, basic parts store kind, may require an adaptors for the trans line that will come with the radiator. It may be worth connecting those lines first and then secure the radiator as the trans lines don't have to much give in that small area.

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
You should be able to get to everything in and out from the top, long arms for the lower parts, lower radiator hose and trans line lol.

Some radiators, basic parts store kind, may require an adaptors for the trans line that will come with the radiator. It may be worth connecting those lines first and then secure the radiator as the trans lines don't have to much give in that small area.
Could you please advise which brand to order?
These are shown for my car on rockauto. Difference between cheapest and most expensive is only ~30$.
ULTRA-POWER 1889 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
LS

$49.89

TYC 1889 {#52485608, 52498590, GM3010102} Info

$61.79
Add to Cart

OSC 1889 Info

5/8" CORE

$67.89
Add to Cart

APDI/PRO 8011889 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
With 5/8 inch Core Depth

$75.79

Standard Replacement

DENSO 2219007 {#52485608, 52498590} Info

With 5/8 inch Core Depth

$69.79

SPECTRA PREMIUM CU1889 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
w/ 5/8 Thick Core

$80.79

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
As replacing radiators are not a normal mantanance item I'm not going to know if a name is good or bad. DENSO does seems to be decent on other parts, the others I can't say.

Others may know more on these manufacturer's and can add opinions.

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
As replacing radiators are not a normal mantanance item I'm not going to know if a name is good or bad. DENSO does seems to be decent on other parts, the others I can't say.

Others may know more on these manufacturer's and can add opinions.
Interestly, I was also thinking about DENSO:)
Possibly cause I have other DENSO parts and no issue with them...
Thanks for your prompt reply!

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
As you adviced I would like to replace hose clamps also, but they are not showing up in rockauto catalog under my car. Probably cause they go under general tools section.
If so I don't know how to choose the right hose clamps.
Could you please give me advise on this?

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
Transmission fluid and transmission fluid gasket (under the car) the was replaced about 15K miles ago (about 4 years ago, I drive few). I believe manual says transmission fluid it needs every 50K
Do you still advise to get transmission fluid?
What will I need transmission fluid for?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
When you pull the radiator the transmission lines are removed and fluid will need to be replaced. As far as all other parts a good parts store should be able to help.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Is it possible to replace radiator w/o raising car?
I don't have ramps now and in current situation it doesn't make sense to buy them, cause I will have to trash them in few weeks
It might be hard to take off the lower rad hose from above, same as one of the cooler lines. But not impossible.

The cooler line clips can be tricky to take off at first, but once you get the idea it's not bad.

Otherwise it's a easy job.

You will have to undue the dog-bone engine mounts (obviously). But you have to stabilize the engine somehow from rocking backwards. I used a piece of 2x4 wedged between the firewall and the rear engine lift bracket.

Then take off the fans.

Take off lower and upper rad hose and the cooler lines.

Then there is a couple of few brackets that hold the rad in place.

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
There are 2 types of items under thermostat gasket. This one:Capture.PNG

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
The black o-ring goes around the circumference of the thermostat (slides over the edge of the t-stat).

The other one is for the thermostat housing.

It's been too long since I replaced one on a 3800 engine so I don't remember if the 2nd one is necessary or if I used RTV gasket maker instead of that gasket.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.