Radiator Replacement Regal LS 1997

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
When Changing the Radiator, you don't need to replace the thermostat unless you want to.
It cost 2-6$ at rockauto, and it seems I will be paying for shipping anyway.
As far as I understood there's not even proper thermostat model in my car. It opens ~5 degrees higher that the stock one should

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
The black o-ring goes around the circumference of the thermostat (slides over the edge of the t-stat).

The other one is for the thermostat housing.

It's been too long since I replaced one on a 3800 engine so I don't remember if the 2nd one is necessary or if I used RTV gasket maker instead of that gasket.
So I definitely could use o-ring right?
Could you please explain more about thermostat housing?
Still not sure if I should order thermostat housing sorry:)

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
So I definitely could use o-ring right?
Could you please explain more about thermostat housing?
Still not sure if I should order thermostat housing sorry:)
The o-ring for sure. But the other gasket is good insurance against the thermostat housing leaking.

I used RTV silicone gasket maker on the mating surfaces of the thermostat hiusing instead of a gasket.

Google or YouTube "3800 thermostat replacement"... You'll get a better picture than me explaining.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
If the theromast seal is installed properly (in the right direction) there is no need for any other sealant on the housing!

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
I replaced the radiator in my 98 Riviera. The hardest part of the job was removing the fans to get at the radiator. I did the whole thing from up top with no problems. It is basic auto mechanics, so depending on your skill level, the job might be harder or easier for you. I used the Spectra premium radiator and was very satisfied with the quality. Make sure you use a line wrench for the transmission cooling line fittings.

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
Make sure you use a line wrench for the transmission cooling line fittings.
I watched some youtube videos on transmission cooling line removal. They say there's no need to unscrew it.
Could you please give more details on this?
Thanks

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
I watched some youtube videos on transmission cooling line removal. They say there's no need to unscrew it.
Could you please give more details on this?
Thanks

You'll have to link me to the video(s) you watched. Unless there is some kind of quick disconnect, the transmission cooler lines screw into the radiator. It is important to use a line wrench to avoid rounding off the fittings. A line wrench looks like this,

How Can a Line Wrench Be Helpful in Auto Repair?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
You'll have to link me to the video(s) you watched. Unless there is some kind of quick disconnect, the transmission cooler lines screw into the radiator. It is important to use a line wrench to avoid rounding off the fittings. A line wrench looks like this,

How Can a Line Wrench Be Helpful in Auto Repair?
When I replaced a trans cooler line on my 98 Regal, the lines did not screw into the radiator. The lines slide into the radiator and There was a plastic round disk / retainer, and a c-clip that slips into the plastic retainer. That was 8 to 10 years ago I did it.
I think there was also a o ring on the cooler line, but can't remember for sure.

Picking off the c clip from the plastic retainer was the hardest part.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
When I replaced a trans cooler line on my 98 Regal, the lines did not screw into the radiator. The lines slide into the radiator and There was a plastic round disk / retainer, and a c-clip that slips into the plastic retainer. That was 8 to 10 years ago I did it.
I think there was also a o ring on the cooler line, but can't remember for sure.

LOL, that sounds worse than unscrewing a fitting. My 98 Riviera had conventional lines and fittings.

Photonica

Buick Ownership
Regal
Be sure to use the GM sealant tablets when adding the proper coolant antifreeze. I picked up a package of tablets at the local GMC/Buick dealer. These help seal any small imperfections in the engine castings.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Be sure to use the GM sealant tablets when adding the proper coolant antifreeze. I picked up a package of tablets at the local GMC/Buick dealer. These help seal any small imperfections in the engine castings.
That may also cause radiator & heater core blockage, especially if the system had a previous treatment as NEW with that sludge inducer from the factory! !

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick

Yep thats exactly what I've seen in the videos.
Still waiting for my radiator, so don't know if its the same on my car yet

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
I don't know which transmission fluid is in my car now.
Therefore a bit afraid that if I add wrong fluid after radiator replacement, some chemical process might happen.
I replaced transmission fluid in a shop just about 15K miles ago, so don't feel like replacing it whole.
Can smbd advise a Transmission Fluid that can be mixed with any other?
What you think about Super Tech Automatic Transmission Fluid?

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
That is not a concern. What you are looking for is Dexron/Mercon. There have been several improvements to the fluid over the years. Currently, we have Dexron 6 which is fully synthetic. There is no issue mixing it with whatever fluid is in your transmission now. This is what I have used since I bought my car in 2004, currently at 188,000 miles on the original transmission, shifts perfectly.

MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF : Product Catalog - Valvoline™

https://images.jet.com/md5/4f979a557c7a183d7fa15fb8ea6f1e0f.500

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
That is not a concern. What you are looking for is Dexron/Mercon. There have been several improvements to the fluid over the years. Currently, we have Dexron 6 which is fully synthetic. There is no issue mixing it with whatever fluid is in your transmission now. This is what I have used since I bought my car in 2004, currently at 188,000 miles on the original transmission, shifts perfectly.

MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF : Product Catalog - Valvoline™

https://images.jet.com/md5/4f979a557c7a183d7fa15fb8ea6f1e0f.500
Oridering one, thanks!

strider

Buick Ownership
Buick
There's Supertech antifreeze now in my car , but walmart doesn't have full strength Supertech in stock now (even for online order). I think only walmart sells Supertech antifreeze.
Anybody mixed Supertech antifreeze with other brands?
The bottle says there's ethylene glycol and a couple other chemicals.
I flushed cooling system last time before adding Supertech, so there shouldn't be any other brand left.
Which antifreeze brands also based on ethylene glycol?