Radio Issue

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Just picked up our Encore last night.

Had purchased the Std Radio – not the Bose upgrade. We had not even left the dealer’s lot when we realized that the left front speaker was not working. Turned around and pointed it out to the sales folks. My wife returned the next day. Service swapped out a speaker, no change.

Did they swap out the Radio? Head Unit? Amp? I’m not all sure just yet.
They are now ordering a new radio?? (how long may that take?)

Funny thing is, while we were at another dealership last week checking colors and trying out the differences in the radio packages we noticed the first car we sat in had a rear right speaker out. :huh?:

So what is with the Std package speakers / radio?
Anyone else had any issues?

BTW - I’ve asked them “if” an upgrade was possible now seeing as they’re (supposedly) changing out the Std radio with a new unit?

I still hold my sales guy in high regard and believe he’s doing all within his power to keep me informed & happy.

We’ll see how the dealer works this out over time, least they are close to home. :(

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Apparently the Radio / Left Front Speaker Channel is also tied into the car’s warning system (i.e. chimes / dinger)

As in; Turn signal bell, keys in lock warning and who knows what all else. All presently missing from our car right now. Funny how quite the turn signal indicator is J

So it’s indeed a good thing that they are changing out the Radio.

Does make one wonder what else may have been missed during PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) I did check the oil level as soon as we got home.

Last edited:

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
In the Service Dept having the Radio replaced as I type....

Will inquire as to what all they find. :)

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
H Mike - no, we stayed home this time and waited till the evening to pick up the car. ;)

The 1st time the car was in… (Not all sure for I can’t seem to be there when the mechanic was)
They swapped out a Left Front Speaker – No change
Swapped out a wire harness? – No change

Ordered the Radio (did get it in quite quickly)

2nd time in…. (yesterday)
Replaced Radio

All seems to be OK this morning. Indeed sound is coming out…. Fading & balancing is adjustable and working in all corners. And we now can hear the Turn Signal & Warning Chimes / Dinger J

When I got home, I re-paired the phone, set the clock, tested the USB, and tested the CD/MP3 Player. All seems well. And though surely not related, I tested the auto dimming mirror and checked to see if the 120vac outlet is working.

Not all sure just what they were to check in the PDI (they also missed the tire pressure) – But I‘m trying everything out. We asked for a copy of the original PDI Report / Checklist /whatever they may have and did receive a sort of printout that shows who was responsible for the PDI & State Inspections. Not that we’re jumping on it, blaming, nor looking for faults. We just want the paperwork for future records if ever needed. I’d just as soon do all the checking myself to be sure it was done. J

A curious question….. (somewhat related)
How would we know if the Bose Active Noise Canceling thing-a-ma-bob is working properly?

I’m thinking of just pulling the plug on the spare tire (somewhat) Speaker Enclosure and taking a controlled ride then repeating with the unit plugged in.

I say “somewhat” speaker for it appears to be the very same unit in all Encores regardless of whether you bought the STD Radio or Bose upgrade. The unit is very light and? must not contain much of a driver? My guess is that it is for the Active Noise Cancelling System and not necessarily the Radios’ sound amplification??? Would love to learn more of the two systems in the future.

Blessings to all
joe

Last edited:

mikepc2fla

Cape Coral, FL
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Gotcha. Sounds like your dealership is doing what it can at least. Have wondered the same regarding the noise cancellation too. If you get a chance to try that let us know....I'l do the same.

bigliljen

Buick Newbie
Lorain, OH
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore Premium White Pearl
My Premium had a vibrating noise, when I accelerated. It sounded like it was coming from the Passenger side, rear of the vehicle. Come to find out, it was the Bose speaker than had gone bad in the rear passenger door. It was replaced & now is very quiet.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!