Radio Reboot?

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
2013 - AWD, 12k miles - Std Radio / Infotainment System

3 blocks from home and the Radio Display goes blank & reboots.

My wife said this has happened a few times.

Goofy...

Anyone else?

joe

Detroit, USA
Hi Joe,

I am sorry to hear that you’ve experienced this reboot with your radio display. I know you were planning to head to your dealership about another vehicle concern. Were you planning to discuss this as well or are you looking for some feedback from other members first? If you would like any assistance regarding this radio issue, you know how to reach us.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
Buick Customer Care

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
If you can reproduce the reboot and if I was in your shoes, I would try to disable Blue Tooth on my phone as first test. Try to drive and use the radio without any device connected to it. See if that makes the difference. It may not be easy to establish if it is a Blue Tooth connection causing the issue if reboot occurs very rarely. So far I had never seen reboot on 2014 model.

adrunk

Silicon Valley
Buick Ownership
1-16-1992
Yes, I have had something like that happen twice in 23 months

not a problem

4 weeks to go 'til were Encoreless ...

:sad:

:headbang:

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
I was just wondering if our BUICK CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS ever had any practical and/or useful advice to address the described issue??? The lines like "I understand how you feel" and "Sorry to hear about your problem" please call 800 number... is not very helpful in my mind resolving or troubleshooting issues. Its only helpful if you woke up one morning with severe case of amnesia and forgot the brand of car you drive or where BUICK dealer was or what is the local phone number for my dealer!!!
I have seen NONE of advice from them addressing any concern or providing practical help or an explanation of any kind, it seems they can be operating more efficiently here rather than bounce people to 800 numbers that we all can find in manual!
Or is it just me?

Detroit, USA
Hello GoMich,

In our position, we work to act as advocates for the relationship between the customer and the dealership. In situations where we offer to schedule dealership appointments or provide contact information for different departments, we are doing so as a courtesy to the customer. As we are not technicians, we are not able to provide technical advice based on a description of an issue. Instead, we work to get the customer to the dealership where the concern can be addressed by our GM-certified technicians. We also provide customer support when needed throughout this process. Hopefully this explanation provides a little bit more info on what we do. If you have any additional questions, you are welcome to send a private message my way.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
Buick Customer Care

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thank you for clarification. I think its helpful to know for people posting here.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
No problematic almost 19,000 miles.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Thanks folks...

Will head to the Dealer with our concerns when it warms up in the Spring - no rush yet.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen the "issue" if it is even one :)

CloverLeaf

Buick Newbie
Ann Arbor, MI
Buick Ownership
Buick
2013 - AWD, 12k miles - Std Radio / Infotainment System

3 blocks from home and the Radio Display goes blank & reboots.

My wife said this has happened a few times.

Goofy...

Anyone else?

joe

Just this morning when I started my 2013 Buick Verano, I saw the the date and time were rest to default. It's as if the radio was disconnected from power over night (and it wasn't; I verified this). It seems like a spontaneous radio reset.

Sound similar to your experience but it hasn't happened during driving (yet).

-RICH

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
I'll have to look at the "Date" to see Cloverleaf. Not sure its a total reboot or not, for the time seems to stay correct.

Happened again the other day while I was in it.. Wife said "Yep, that's what it does"

"0" degrees today - will get to the Dealer later :)

joe

rjj

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
We just purchased a 2015 Buick Encore from Serra GMC -Buick in Washington Twp .Michigan
We looked over the car then we signed the purchase papers then walk out to start the car. It immediately started to boot and reboot the display. The sales rep said they would keep car over night and have techs do a global reboot on the car software. All was well for the fist week then I stared doing it all over. dealer now has had car for over 1 week and cannot fix the problem. DO NOT BUY FROM SERRA GMC IN WASHINGTON MICH. They do not care about customer after they sell. car is a total JUNK. DO NOT BUY A 2015 ENCORE

SR45

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore Leather, Pear White
We just purchased a 2015 Buick Encore from Serra GMC -Buick in Washington Twp .Michigan
We looked over the car then we signed the purchase papers then walk out to start the car. It immediately started to boot and reboot the display. The sales rep said they would keep car over night and have techs do a global reboot on the car software. All was well for the fist week then I stared doing it all over. dealer now has had car for over 1 week and cannot fix the problem. DO NOT BUY FROM SERRA GMC IN WASHINGTON MICH. They do not care about customer after they sell. car is a total JUNK. DO NOT BUY A 2015 ENCORE

Goodness OP, Sorry for your troubles, but what does your issue have to do with the many thousands that are happy with their Encore purchases ? To say, don't buy a 2015 Encore just for your issue doesn't mean everyone will have it as well. All cars, and I mean all of them, will have issues & recalls over time, so what do you say then ? Don't buy any of them ? Walk instead ? "We looked over the car" Didn't you take a test drive and test out the radio first ?

rjj

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
do a search on Buicks this is a big problem. So the radio goes on and off, the back up camera stays on while your driving in drive, guess its not a problem to some people but to me it is when your spending $28,000.00 for a car that they have no fix. DO YOU FEEL LUCKY then buy one
read the threads on the encore it is happening to others, believe me there are more people that do not post here This thread will grow trust me. The more people that buy this Encore the more you will see it posted.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Had the car at the Dealer last month for inspection. They did some sort of "Radio Software Update"

After a month it seems to have made no difference other than causing me to re-set all my settings & Re-link the Bluetooth.

Wife said the "issue" came back the other day.....

:(

Foursoors

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Convenience
Hope you all can find out the problem. Hasn't happened to us. And I just discovered that we have 36 presets! I had no idea there were that many.

The Pool Man

Buick Ownership
Buick
Contrary to popular misinformation, computers need to routinely reboot. Not reset, but reboot. Apple and Windows will brag about how unnecessary it is... when in fact... running computers eat up RAM no matter what.

texan

Buick Ownership
Buick
Contrary to popular misinformation, computers need to routinely reboot. Not reset, but reboot. Apple and Windows will brag about how unnecessary it is... when in fact... running computers eat up RAM no matter what.

This is not strictly true; many computers run years without rebooting. For example, when was the last time you rebooted your thermostat or electronic watch? :)

The reality, however, is that consumers prefer fancy infotainment features (bluetooth, voice recognition, text message readout, etc.) over infotainment reliability, so this is where money and engineering effort are invested. The fact that making such complex software 100% reliable is very expensive also does not help.

As for the topic of the thread, a spontaneous infotainment system reboot happened to me once during one year of ownership.

The Pool Man

Buick Ownership
Buick
This is not strictly true; many computers run years without rebooting. For example, when was the last time you rebooted your thermostat or electronic watch? :)

Tell me you're not comparing a computer as complex as the car Intellilink system to a thermostat and electronic watch?

texan

Buick Ownership
Buick
Tell me you're not comparing a computer as complex as the car Intellilink system to a thermostat and electronic watch?

I am. Intellilink is more complex that a watch. I am sure you would agree that is a valid comparison :)

My point was that computers do not need to reboot routinely. Thermostat/watch are just obvious examples, but there are others (computers running power plants, satellites, stock exchanges, etc.) The reason infotainment systems are not reliable is economic, not an engineering one.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!