• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Raspberry Pi as a source?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
OK...first let me start by saying I am somewhat technically literate but not quite enough to know if this will work and I can't seem to find anyone that has done it. But what I am looking to do is remove Android Auto's app filtering. I am not looking to play movies or anything like that, but I would like to be able to run things like Torque and eventually JBV1. I was looking into rooting my phone to be able to add another app which would allow me to mirror my screen to AA but since Google has changed their security it seems it is more difficult to continue using apps that allow you to purchase stuff. There are work arounds, but I want this to be a time saver rather than making things more difficult.

So my thought is to take an old Raspberry Pi I was using for home automation and install Android on it. If I can install Android with root, I can install the app that allows for screen mirroring. Then I can use a WiFi dongle to get the Pi connected to the car's WiFi and either pay for the LTE or use a hotspot on my phone. This would allow me to use any audio streaming service I want and other blocked apps like Torque. All while not having to worry about the security of the apps on my phone.

So the first question is; does anyone know if this has been done? I have found people using them to create an AA head unit but not like this. Second, is the power port on a Pi also a data port, or do you have to configure the connection to be one of the other USB ports? Third, Can the Pi be set to auto boot on power input?

LawnDartChamp

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick TourX Essence
I have a 2019 Essence I bought a month ago - on a whim (but with a lot of trepidation), I picked up this "Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer" on eBay after doing some research. -

Fits 1996-2020 Buick Regal - Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer | eBay

I'm a LOT less technical than you seem to be and have no idea if this is relevant or not, but maybe a clue in programming.

A few weeks in and happy to report the software has not imploded yet. A modest uptick in mileage - horsepower may have bumped up a little. Also wondering if anyone else has used a chip like this before.

And might I add, I LOVE this car and have from the moment the Carvana vending machine dropped it down to me.

Attachments

• 2000778458-edc-01.jpg
    2000778458-edc-01.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 6

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Sorry Dart, two different types of programming there. I am also skeptical of that "programmer."

Anyway...

Can you explain how you will connect it to the Buick's Infotainment screen? You mentioned screen mirroring, but I assume you want the Pi to put its info on that screen?

I have a Red Needle car and only use Apple CarPlay, but I like a good project.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Instead, nothing against the Raspberry Pi concept, getting a good used Android based phone and root it to running the apps. Seeing how it has a lot of the basic features, functions and possibly easier to integrate into the Buick system it may be another option to consider. My only knowledge of the Pi system is working on a media player with someone who is a lot more familiar with the system.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yes...the Pi would be acting like my rooted phone and would be connected to the head unit as a "phone" using AA. There are several apps, like aa mirror that allow you on a rooted device to see you phone (in this case Pi) screen natively. So all apps would show as you see them on your phone.

I thought about getting another phone just to root but I have a Pi and probably 95% of what I need without spending money only to fail. One of the things I am concerned about is how phone calls will be handled since it won't be my phone actually connected. Though I use a Google voice number so I guess so long as it has internet access I can have the other device act as my phone.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
This seems more like a question for the Pi forum as the Buick system appears to be a GIGO in working with the outside world.

danzig997

47°40′10″N 122°7′26″W
Buick Ownership
TourX Essence with Opel Insignia DNA.
I have a 2019 Essence I bought a month ago - on a whim (but with a lot of trepidation), I picked up this "Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer" on eBay after doing some research. -

Fits 1996-2020 Buick Regal - Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer | eBay

I'm a LOT less technical than you seem to be and have no idea if this is relevant or not, but maybe a clue in programming.

A few weeks in and happy to report the software has not imploded yet. A modest uptick in mileage - horsepower may have bumped up a little. Also wondering if anyone else has used a chip like this before.

And might I add, I LOVE this car and have from the moment the Carvana vending machine dropped it down to me.

"Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer" from eBay... I can buy the same "Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer" for a mere $2 USD ... It is based on OBD2 dongle called "Nitro OBD2" Return it if you can. It is just an LED blinking device!!

It's a box with an led that flashes, it cannot communicate with the ECU to adjust anything. I will tell you the "plug-n-play" devices, in general, are completely bogus. Mighty Car Mods did a video on one of these types of modules. Most legitimate tuning devices must be custom-made for one specific vehicle application. You may get a kick out of it. Basically, though, there is no way for a plug-in module to do what they claim it will do. Remapping the fuel table requires actually doing something with the fuel tables. You have to rewrite the code in the PCM (or ECU or whatever you want to call it) in order to effect change. Looks good with the flashing lights but it doesn't change or store any settings from your ECU. Worth buying if you want to prank your friends that you have a chipped car but that is all it's good for...

The chip has a led blinking program inside. When it receives voltage from obd2 pins, it modifies the green led blinking or it resets the routine: obd2 pins 7 and 14 are green short blinking, pin 6 is green 2-seconds blinking, pin 15 is green 10-seconds blinking, pins 2 and 10 don't make an effect on blinking... Obd2 pins are input signals only for the chip, nothing is sent to them, checked, also remember the chip works at 5 volts, it cannot send anything at 12 volts to obd2 pins. It is just a led blinking device!!

1614818006047.png

1614821136224.png

There are also several youtube videos proving the details of the Nitro-OBD light flasher scam and some of its variants:

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
That's why I only use proven technology.
flux.jpeg

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
@Wlepse I thought someone on facebook was able to play Fruit Ninja on their TourX infotainment screen. Can't remember if that was here or facebook page, but they may be a good source for your question.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
That may have been the newer UI....I think there is a thread here someone posted on how to sideload apps like Angry Birds to the system. But with that said I think they also mentioned that the latest version of that software disabled your ability to sideload stuff.

Right now I am starting to look into 2007LucerneCXL's recommendation of getting an old rooted phone. While I have the Pi, I was using Ethernet and I don't think it has native BT and certainly no battery. So by the time I buy a few dongles I am pretty close to the cost of a rooted phone. I might still try the Pi idea since it would be a quick way to test if the idea works. Now I just have to figure out where the hell I put it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Just to expand or explain, I took a rooted Galaxy S5 with no service and use it as a navigation and media player on two vehicles. The Lucerne has sat nav but GM's map DVD were outdated and cost was silly, 95 Lesabre had none so it's a simple solution that beyond the cost of the phone has none and I connect via audio jack or Bluetooth.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I'm with LucernCXL. An older rooted Android device with a stable OS build can do everything you want it to without all the x,y,z variables that Pi introduces into this. I would only do a Pi if I was going to literally replace the entire infotainment system... but then if I was going to do that I would do something else other than Pi so....

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Some people believe I'm smart, but then I admit I'm just that lazy. Sometimes out of my laziness comes a effective solution, not always but I get lucky once in awhile LOL.

LawnDartChamp

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick TourX Essence
"Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer" from eBay... I can buy the same "Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer" for a mere $2 USD ... It is based on OBD2 dongle called "Nitro OBD2" Return it if you can. It is just an LED blinking device!!

It's a box with an led that flashes, it cannot communicate with the ECU to adjust anything. I will tell you the "plug-n-play" devices, in general, are completely bogus. Mighty Car Mods did a video on one of these types of modules. Most legitimate tuning devices must be custom-made for one specific vehicle application. You may get a kick out of it. Basically, though, there is no way for a plug-in module to do what they claim it will do. Remapping the fuel table requires actually doing something with the fuel tables. You have to rewrite the code in the PCM (or ECU or whatever you want to call it) in order to effect change. Looks good with the flashing lights but it doesn't change or store any settings from your ECU. Worth buying if you want to prank your friends that you have a chipped car but that is all it's good for...

The chip has a led blinking program inside. When it receives voltage from obd2 pins, it modifies the green led blinking or it resets the routine: obd2 pins 7 and 14 are green short blinking, pin 6 is green 2-seconds blinking, pin 15 is green 10-seconds blinking, pins 2 and 10 don't make an effect on blinking... Obd2 pins are input signals only for the chip, nothing is sent to them, checked, also remember the chip works at 5 volts, it cannot send anything at 12 volts to obd2 pins. It is just a led blinking device!!

View attachment 28916

View attachment 28925

There are also several youtube videos proving the details of the Nitro-OBD light flasher scam and some of its variants:
I
Well, I had my doubts that it was doing anything - I just started the return process. If they give me any trouble, I'll link this thread in a review. Thanks man.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Appearantly GM had purchased the remaining balance for their upcoming electric vehicles.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I think I am giving up on the Pi idea. I tried several times to make an image out of the the zip I found and it keeps failing the verification. I might try it on another machine but not sure it is worth the effort.

Rooted phones seem to be more $ than they should be, so I need to do some research on what phones are easy enough to unlock the bootloader and root. When I find something to mess with and some time I will update the thread.

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
I think I am giving up on the Pi idea. I tried several times to make an image out of the the zip I found and it keeps failing the verification. I might try it on another machine but not sure it is worth the effort.

Rooted phones seem to be more $ than they should be, so I need to do some research on what phones are easy enough to unlock the bootloader and root. When I find something to mess with and some time I will update the thread.
Hi there, my advice to you is to buy a cheap phone and root it (use a guide off XDA forums) then install screen2auto from XDA see link
Long story short, you leave a device plugged in and setup some automation. For example, my old phone stays in the car and when my car starts it initiates android auto and then I can open any app I like from my headunit which controls the phone. Currently I run torque 😎 but I can exit and open a map app... Works great. The phone's screen had to stay on to successfully mirror but since it's in the armrest, that doesn't worry me. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions about my setup

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Hi there, my advice to you is to buy a cheap phone and root it (use a guide off XDA forums) then install screen2auto from XDA see link
Long story short, you leave a device plugged in and setup some automation. For example, my old phone stays in the car and when my car starts it initiates android auto and then I can open any app I like from my headunit which controls the phone. Currently I run torque 😎 but I can exit and open a map app... Works great. The phone's screen had to stay on to successfully mirror but since it's in the armrest, that doesn't worry me. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions about my setup
Thanks...I checked a few of the old phones I have floating around and none are rootable. I haven't messed with this in a while and forgot many networks have their own version and some have locked bootloaders. I am going to watch slickdeals for pixel and oneplus phones since it seems they are universally rootable.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Or maybe some older Nexus?
Last time I checked, Nexus 5X runs android auto and can be rooted, plus it is dirt cheap.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!