• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Rattle in driver's side dash?

kriswinner

Buick Ownership
1993 Riviera, 2018 Regal TourX, 2019 Enclave
Getting a rattle/buzz in the driver's side dash (2018 TourX). Anyone else having that issue? If so, any solution?
I'm going to try to isolate it before taking it to the dealership. Not looking forward to a "sorry...we aren't able to reproduce the problem" response.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

75miguel75

Elgin Il
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
Same here comes and goes on my GS.Tapping on dash recreates the noise. Sounds like it's coming from the HUD or behind the instrument panel. Has a sound of a loose screw bouncing around. I been wanting to take it apart but weather hasn't been to kind here lately

GS_driver

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS, 6sp manual; 2018 Regal Sportback GS
Same here comes and goes on my GS.Tapping on dash recreates the noise. Sounds like it's coming from the HUD or behind the instrument panel. Has a sound of a loose screw bouncing around. I been wanting to take it apart but weather hasn't been to kind here lately
Were you able to resolve this problem?

Greyfixer

I have this problem on my '18. I have a rattle somewhere but on the driver's side but I can't tell if it's coming from the door or the dash. It only happens for a brief moment when I'm driving so I don't have enough time to figure out exactly where it's coming from. I haven't tried tapping around to get it to rattle manually.

GS_driver

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS, 6sp manual; 2018 Regal Sportback GS
2018 Regal Sportback GS: Problem identified and almost completely solved for me so far. Turns out the gauge cluster mounting system is not secure. I thought it was the HUD, but it was the instrument cluster.

I could not tap the cluster or dash to reproduce the sound. However, I found that if I gently pressed against the cluster glass while driving over a bumpy section of road, I could stop the sound. I don't think cluster glass is the problem, it seems to be the movement of the entire gauge cluster that is causing something behind the cluster to rattle or the back of the cluster rubbing against the dash etc.

I figured to fix it would mean either securing whatever is rattling or stop the cluster from moving just enough to prevent the rattling from happening. I did not want to remove the cluster to try to address the problem. Instead, I rolled up a 6" length of black adhesive free insulation tape and fitted it discreetly in the gap directly below the entire length of cluster and plus placed four 2" lengths along upper and outer edges of both sides of the cluster.

Test drove it last night and the noise, which only comes at highway speeds when traveling over bumps like where the highway meets a bridge or a patch of asphalt covering a pothole etc., only happened once and was barely audible. I think with one more strategically placed length of tape the sound should be completely eliminated. If it continues to work or fails - I will update either way. I like this solution because it takes 10 mins and is not visible to passengers or anyone who might dive the car. Also, if need be, I can remove the tape with a small plastic pic.

MyCarDave

Buick Ownership
18 Buick Regal GS
2018 Regal Sportback GS: Problem identified and almost completely solved for me so far. Turns out the gauge cluster mounting system is not secure. I thought it was the HUD, but it was the instrument cluster.

I could not tap the cluster or dash to reproduce the sound. However, I found that if I gently pressed against the cluster glass while driving over a bumpy section of road, I could stop the sound. I don't think cluster glass is the problem, it seems to be the movement of the entire gauge cluster that is causing something behind the cluster to rattle or the back of the cluster rubbing against the dash etc.

I figured to fix it would mean either securing whatever is rattling or stop the cluster from moving just enough to prevent the rattling from happening. I did not want to remove the cluster to try to address the problem. Instead, I rolled up a 6" length of black adhesive free insulation tape and fitted it discreetly in the gap directly below the entire length of cluster and plus placed four 2" lengths along upper and outer edges of both sides of the cluster.

Test drove it last night and the noise, which only comes at highway speeds when traveling over bumps like where the highway meets a bridge or a patch of asphalt covering a pothole etc., only happened once and was barely audible. I think with one more strategically placed length of tape the sound should be completely eliminated. If it continues to work or fails - I will update either way. I like this solution because it takes 10 mins and is not visible to passengers or anyone who might dive the car. Also, if need be, I can remove the tape with a small plastic pic.
I appreciate the fix, because I have the same on the 18 Regal GS. Like everything about the car except this annoying noise on bumps. I went a different approach by slipping packing foam around the glass cluster lense between the the plastic frame and glass which is not visible. The fix took a couple applications and eliminated almost all noise. Once in a while with the right bump I still hear something. I am going to try your fix because I think you maybe correct that some movement is happening with the gauge cluster. I just don't know why manufacturers can't eliminate these noises. Happens with almost every car I have bought in different locations. I am afraid to have the dealer try to fix the issue because the dash is so complicated with bells and whistles.

novoseb

Cincinnati, OH
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS

Thanks for problem solving and posting! I recently developed the same issue but haven’t been able to locate. Hopefully this is the solution!

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
Cluster is bolted with two bolts, don't see how it would rattle. Maybe bolts backed out or something? There is plastic vent duct behind it that might contribute.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners