• If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense...

Rattle in hood, possibly - this would be the 2005-2009 models

Globetrot1

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse, first gen
My LaCrosse is a 2008. I never paid attention to the gap between the top of the fender and the edge of the hood on any car I've owned. Is it normal to see a little bit of upward and downward vibration of the hood at highway speeds and/or when there is a lot of wind while on the highway? It's minor but I didn't think there should be any.

I bring this up because, on suburban side streets, there can be some clanging/thumping sound when going over pavement gaps or badly damaged pavement and I don't recall this in the past. I bought the car new. What's a good way to test if I've got a hood that's banging around? What could cause it? The noise seems to come from way up high and I watch the hood lid when I go over some of these pavement gaps, assuming I'm on a side street and can allow myself to do that.

Have you had a noisy hood on this series of LaCrosse? Or any car? What was the fix?

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Would seem more likely an exhaust component has faltered and pipe(s) are banging. Sound as such in cars is very difficult to pinpoint source, non directional; at least the ones I’ve ran into.

If hood, try oiling hinges and make sure the main latch is lubed and not just catching on the second safety latch. Shouldn’t be any bounce to hood at all unless going over 100MPH?

Globetrot1

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse, first gen
Would seem more likely an exhaust component has faltered and pipe(s) are banging. Sound as such in cars is very difficult to pinpoint source, non directional; at least the ones I’ve ran into.

If hood, try oiling hinges and make sure the main latch is lubed and not just catching on the second safety latch. Shouldn’t be any bounce to hood at all unless going over 100MPH?
Are you thinking maybe loose heat shields or piping? With under 100,000 miles, my exhaust components seem to be working okay. A few people have poked around and can't find anything loose.

I'm debating whether to replace the first platinum plugs and plug wires. I just got about 30 mpg on a long road jaunt. However, it's got to be done sometime. The other thing is that spark plug wires usually start acting ornery much faster than do spark plugs.

The rest of this year's planned repair budget is for plugs and wires as well as a serpentine belt.

A banging and clanging sound on a Buick product is really unbecoming, even thought it's intermittent.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
When you say "a few people" service shops? Strut tower, stabilizer bar, exaust hanger, engine mounts etc could all make a noise. On the hood with it fully closed, see if it will lift at both rear corners windshield side and in the front, no movement means it's closed. The only area that may have added turbulence is the underbody covers being loose.