Rear Air 'Shock Bags' Losing Air

Masterknowitall

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have the same problem with my 05. I have the replacement springs but how do you disconnect the air line from the old spring and reconnect to the new spring. My new spring has a plastic nipple on it and I believe this must be factory style connector. Is there a specific way to disconnect it?

g_483243

No doubt Buick Rainier 2004-2007 owners have or will have issues with their rear air suspension. My 2007, 104,000 mi has been dropping down every night since it had 50,000 mi but the next morning the rear end would return to normal. I received a diagnosis at 67,000 mi that either the air pump was malfunctioning or air boots were leaking or both with an estimate of at least $900. I chose to cope with the inconvenience and not do the repair. Last week the rear end did not return to normal and long story short, it cost me $1595 to replace the air boots and pump. The service tech said the months and months of the suspension sitting on the air boots cause them to leak and the pump was eventually overworked and quit running. My questions for GM and the Buick Dealer: Why did you approve such a lame design? Why did you not warn owners that this could happen? Why is this not a recall item? Is there in fact a bad batch of pumps that need to be replaced? Where is the accountability? IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD AND I WILL TAKE THIS TO GM. I ALREADY HAVE A CASE NUMBER THAT I FILED WITH GM/BUICK: 71-1498592743 WITHOUT ANY ACCOUNTABILITY.
I have this problem 6825584192

G-639617

No doubt Buick Rainier 2004-2007 owners have or will have issues with their rear air suspension. My 2007, 104,000 mi has been dropping down every night since it had 50,000 mi but the next morning the rear end would return to normal. I received a diagnosis at 67,000 mi that either the air pump was malfunctioning or air boots were leaking or both with an estimate of at least $900. I chose to cope with the inconvenience and not do the repair. Last week the rear end did not return to normal and long story short, it cost me $1595 to replace the air boots and pump. The service tech said the months and months of the suspension sitting on the air boots cause them to leak and the pump was eventually overworked and quit running. My questions for GM and the Buick Dealer: Why did you approve such a lame design? Why did you not warn owners that this could happen? Why is this not a recall item? Is there in fact a bad batch of pumps that need to be replaced? Where is the accountability? IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD AND I WILL TAKE THIS TO GM. I ALREADY HAVE A CASE NUMBER THAT I FILED WITH GM/BUICK: 71-1498592743 WITHOUT ANY ACCOUNTABILITY.
I hope

Rebecca Parker

Buick Ownership
2004 Buick Ranier CXL
We are having the same problem. We have a 2004 Ranier and don't want to spend a lot of money replacing if the replacement continues to need replacing.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

G-397729

2004 Rainier. My vehicle was also failing to maintain the proper ride height. I found that my compressor had worn out. I purchased a simple plastic T fitting from home depot. I used the original fitting from the compressor. I hooked the 2 lines from the air bags and the inflator fitting to the T. I used a bit of silicone to ensure everything would be air tight. I pressurized my system to 50 pound and found that that gave me the specified ride height. My bags aren't leaking anymore and my ride is wonderful again. Best of luck to you all!

asparky

Buick Ownership
Rainier 4.2L I6
2004 Rainier. My vehicle was also failing to maintain the proper ride height. I found that my compressor had worn out. I purchased a simple plastic T fitting from home depot. I used the original fitting from the compressor. I hooked the 2 lines from the air bags and the inflator fitting to the T. I used a bit of silicone to ensure everything would be air tight. I pressurized my system to 50 pound and found that that gave me the specified ride height. My bags aren't leaking anymore and my ride is wonderful again. Best of luck to you all!
Saw your simple repair with a T. I'm wondering if you could expand the info you gave? maybe the size of the T? Did the hoses slide over the T and was secured with the silicone? Do you have any pictures of what you did? I cant afford to put a new pump on for sure. I tried pumping the system up with a small tire air compressor with no luck. But I don't hear any air escaping either as I am doing that.
Thanks, Ron

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Saw your simple repair with a T. I'm wondering if you could expand the info you gave? maybe the size of the T? Did the hoses slide over the T and was secured with the silicone? Do you have any pictures of what you did? I cant afford to put a new pump on for sure. I tried pumping the system up with a small tire air compressor with no luck. But I don't hear any air escaping either as I am doing that.
Thanks, Ron
This thread is 9-yrs old and most of the response is out to pasture. Try starting a new thread with your problems.

asparky

Buick Ownership
Rainier 4.2L I6
This thread is 9-yrs old and most of the response is out to pasture. Try starting a new thread with your problems.
I agree a lot of old threads.. The reason I asked about this fix was I believe a post on December 2020 commenting on their fix.
Thanks
Ron

G-952397

I have a 2006 CXL, the same issue as all else above had...its 10 yrs old and has 61K Miles...I just ordered a Conversion Kit from StrutMaster to put Coil springs/Shocks and remove the air suspension...I see some members spent or got taken for 700-1500 USD to replace the existing system...The parts I ordered were 265.00..I'll reply later with how the new springs handle and feel...
I had mine replaced with coil springs and shocks and it rides great now, but the problem I'm having now is the noise I hear when I go over a bumpy road?

Jdelph

Buick Ownership
02 LeSabre. 04 rainier
They sell push fit or gator bite style quick connects on eBay or Amazon with extra line it is 5/32 I believe. I have literally cut the lines and cut the fitting off a can of fix a flat and clamped the can to the lines going to my bags.. (so as to not get fix a flat in my pump by just running it through the connection in the cargo area used to air your tires) fixed the leaks in my bags while on a trip and in need of a quick fix . This lasted over a year. Just use a double female push fit to reconnect the lines. I just replaced the bags finally you just have to jack the truck up leaving the suspension hanging free and Jack stand everything so it won't kill you and cut the majority of the old bags away and push up on what's left and turn counter clockwise and the come right out .. cut the lines off. They push fit into the new bags. About an hour job. It yours are stuck and rusted you can drill out the center of the mount from underneath with a hole saw , after you cut all the rest of the bags away then you can get a screwdriver in there to help turn them counter clockwise to get em out

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners