• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Rear brake rotors rusted & failed state inspection, How to release E-Brake?

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Darn rear brake rotors rusted & failed state inspection, How to release E-Brake?

Told a scan tool was needed.

Is there another way of putting the electric E-brake in service mode?

Any pad of Rotor brand/ type recommendations?

Thanks

Mike

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
I’ve been buying Akebono brake pads and Durago coated rotors off Rockauto for almost all brake jobs lately. Akebono brakes are almost identical to OEM and they are made in the USA. I had to search by a 2018 LaCrosse on Rockauto because the TourX and LaCrosse share the same rear brakes but the TourX isn’t listed that much.

visitor

Buick Newbie
Is there another way of putting the electric E-brake in service mode?
from the service manual, although i haven't done this myself on these cars:
Before a repair service procedure on the rear brakes is carried out, the electronic park brake system
must to be set in service mode.

Manual Method
1. Change the transmission gear to neutral or park position.
2. Press and hold the push button start switch for 10 seconds, with the brake pedal not applied. This
will place the vehicle in Service Mode (Ignition ON with the engine OFF).
3. Press brake pedal several times until brake booster vacuum is empty.
4. Press the brake pedal and press the park brake switch until the orange park brake lamp begins to
flash. By keeping the brake pedal applied, release and re-press the park brake switch for
approximately 5 seconds.
5. Release the brake pedal. The orange park brake lamp extinguishes for a moment after which the
rear brake calipers are retracting.
After the repair service of the rear brakes, the electronic park brake system needs to be reset from
service mode before the vehicle can leave the workshop.

Manual Method
1. Change the transmission gear to neutral or park position.
2. Press and hold the push button start switch for 10 seconds, with the brake pedal not applied. This
will place the vehicle in Service Mode (Ignition ON with the engine OFF).
3. Press the brake pedal and pull the park brake switch until the orange park brake lamp extinguishes
and the rear brake calipers are extending.
4. Release the brake pedal.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
You guys rock

Thanks!

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So this has to be done to properly service the rear brakes?

At VW when the Passat came out with the Electric e brake k remember having to use the scanner to reset em, I don't remember a procedure before hand though. It has been 14 years so I may have forgotten haha.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
+1 on the Akebono pads (their ProACT line) from Rock Auto. I paired mine with Centric rotors and have been quite happy with the setup. Brake feel is consistent and confident. The pads don't dust either.

DrFaustus

Denver
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
Utah had brakes as part of their yearly inspection. I haven't lived there in some time, so it may no longer be true. I was surprised by the lack of safety inspections when I got to Colorado. I am totally cool with keeping cars without well functioning brakes off the road.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Utah had brakes as part of their yearly inspection. I haven't lived there in some time, so it may no longer be true. I was surprised by the lack of safety inspections when I got to Colorado. I am totally cool with keeping cars without well functioning brakes off the road.
You would think Michigan being Motown would want people to replace their vehicle if they fail the inspections, right? :unsure:
Nope, we don't have vehicle inspections anymore! 😅
What kind of logic can we use? :ROFLMAO:

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
You would think Michigan being Motown would want people to replace their vehicle if they fail the inspections, right? :unsure:
Nope, we don't have vehicle inspections anymore! 😅
What kind of logic can we use? :ROFLMAO:
The logic is that people get ripped off at State Inspections. Big Time. Inspection shops must find something wrong in order for them to make money off of you.

When I lived in NY, I would install a bad wiper, so they would find something cheap for them to find.

Presently living in Florida since 1995, not only do we NOT have State Inspection, Florida DID AWAY WITH STATE SAFETY INSPECTIONS back in 1983, due to people getting ripped off.
We have NO PROBLEMS with bad brakes, tires, etc. Just does not happen.

If you want Safety Inspections, DON’T MOVE TO FLORIDA. STAY HOME. We like it here just the way it is. If you don’t like it, STAY HOME.

DrFaustus

Denver
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
In Utah, the shops doing inspection work could not also do the repairs. So they had no financial interest in the failure.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners