• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Rear calipers won't screw in to retract

slowta

Buick Ownership
Buick
As the title says, my rear pistons won't screw in so I can do my pads and rotors. The piston spins forever but there is no retraction at all.

I read somewhere that you need to screw the piston out, then back in, but that didn't work either.

The car in question is a 2011 Regal with vented rear rotors, 2.0 turbo, manual trans.

slowta

Buick Ownership
Buick
You have to push HARD while turning. Much harder than on the front pistons. So hard that you need to use all the parts of the caliper tool to push it in while turning!

In the attached pic you have to hold the collar with the hex head while turning the part with the bent handle. It doesn't make sense to me since the thread of the tool can't match all of the calipers internal thread... and I've also done brakes on cars where the cube piston tool worked with almost no pressure.

Attachments

OlSmokie

Buick Ownership
Regal
I just replaced one of my rear callipers for the same reason. I even took it right off so I could work on it and nothing I did would allow it to screw back in. The other one screwed back in easily.

Pedal Commander