• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Rear Lights - Bad Wiring?

vkamedia99

Buick Ownership
2009 Buick Lucerne Super
Hello, for every 1 indicator bulb that I change on the rear left of the car, I change about 3 on the right side. I don't know why the right indicator blows so quickly. Any advice? Also, when I unlock the car, the right reverse light doesn't illuminate. However, as soon as I pop the trunk, it turns on. Any ideas?

Thank you.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Harness has a short and or also a bad ground. The only way to know is to trace all the light sockets to the end source looking for a cut or exposures of the wiring harness especially around sheet metal edges or bolt / screw threads.

Just to confirm that no type of trailer type connectors are on the vehicle.

vkamedia99

Buick Ownership
2009 Buick Lucerne Super
Harness has a short and or also a bad ground. The only way to know is to trace all the light sockets to the end source looking for a cut or exposures of the wiring harness especially around sheet metal edges or bolt / screw threads.

Just to confirm that no type of trailer type connectors are on the vehicle.
Thanks for the advice. No, the vehicle isn't wired for towing.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Considering your other post,
Pulled These Codes. Any Advice?
There may be something else in the electronics that is causing the issue of the other items. It may worth while to check the fuse boxes and work your way out. A few posts on the net about cable harness that have been nibbled on which can cause all kinds of havoc.

vkamedia99

Buick Ownership
2009 Buick Lucerne Super
Considering your other post,
Pulled These Codes. Any Advice?
There may be something else in the electronics that is causing the issue of the other items. It may worth while to check the fuse boxes and work your way out. A few posts on the net about cable harness that have been nibbled on which can cause all kinds of havoc.
Following a fuel pump relay that kept burning out, I replaced the fusebox and traced all the wires outwards. Didn't find any issues along the way.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
That is one of the main issues, fuel relay and under seat fuse box, that can make anything else connected to it have all kinds of unusual problems. The other item to check is the frame mount ground battery wire, not common but can be problematic if it isn't a clean contact and tight to the frame.

vkamedia99

Buick Ownership
2009 Buick Lucerne Super
That is one of the main issues, fuel relay and under seat fuse box, that can make anything else connected to it have all kinds of unusual problems. The other item to check is the frame mount ground battery wire, not common but can be problematic if it isn't a clean contact and tight to the frame.
Where can I find the frame mount ground battery wire?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Follow the negative battery cable to the floor, you see it bolted to the floor under the backseat.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Filter and fluid is the most common, this gets into a can of worms on the forum, but also follow the manufacturer recommend service intervals based on type of driving environment, milage and or years, blah blah blah.

I have changed all my fluids coolant, brake, steering, transmission / filter and of course the regular oil / filter service on my 07 Lucerne with 68k based on years of service and milage. I'm a little OCD on my car maintenance but I know what has been replaced, what was used and when.

What to use is done with simple math, monthly cell phone and cable bill X 2, if I don't spend that much on my own vehicle then my focus is wrong as the cable box won't get me anywhere and the cell phone is only good for calling a tow or Uber LOL.

IMO it's not a time to be cheap or see how far something can last, sorry for soap box rant.

vkamedia99

Buick Ownership
2009 Buick Lucerne Super
Filter and fluid is the most common, this gets into a can of worms on the forum, but also follow the manufacturer recommend service intervals based on type of driving environment, milage and or years, blah blah blah.

I have changed all my fluids coolant, brake, steering, transmission / filter and of course the regular oil / filter service on my 07 Lucerne with 68k based on years of service and milage. I'm a little OCD on my car maintenance but I know what has been replaced, what was used and when.

What to use is done with simple math, monthly cell phone and cable bill X 2, if I don't spend that much on my own vehicle then my focus is wrong as the cable box won't get me anywhere and the cell phone is only good for calling a tow or Uber LOL.

IMO it's not a time to be cheap or see how far something can last, sorry for soap box rant.
Haha. I also do things as soon as they come up. It's a very special car to me as there's only a handful of Super's here in Canada. I went through the headbolt issues already and had it studded by Northstar Performance. This weekend I'm going to go through the wiring and see what issues I find. I appreciate all the advice.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The Northstar model unfortunately comes with it's own set of issues, I'm lucky to have the 3.8L but there's still common problems on both versions. Lucerne's are becoming a classic, my thoughts and sticking with it LOL. Best of luck on chasing the gremlins down.

Turbo Buick Badge