Rear lights wont go off...need fix ASAP!!!!

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
HI! I have a 1988 Buick Century Limited. recently the rear lights will not go off, even when the car is off!!!! I cant drive like this because no one can really tell if I'm breaking or not and thats really dangerous as well as the fact that I have to take the fuse out evert time I turn the car off or it will drain the battery. I was told something about a four way relay that is most likely the problem and that it should be right next to the steering wheel or the fuse box. My fuse box is right in the glove compartment so there's nothing connected next to or around it (Even behind the glove compartment that I can see). The thing I did find however is a white part mounted right to the side of the steering wheel column. It has a copper wire and a black plug with three wires coming out of it. I think this is it but cant find the part online. I have tried pulling my light relays that are near my headlights one by one and none of those do it. need this fixed ASAP!!!!! I need it to work tonight or risk getting tickets I cant afford. Thank you for any help in advance. I will try and get a picture up soon.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
It's not the break lights either. Those go on and off just fine, as do the blinkers/hazards. I have pumped the break petal and the lights go on and off as they are suppose to. Its the bottom and top row of the red lights. the middle (Of the red. not the white reverse lights in the middle.) and rear window light (Breaks) go on and off when the breaks are used. The blinkers work fine. its like I have my headlights on but I don't. the headlights go on and off when I turn the switch but the rear stay on. I have to pull the 20 amp light/hazard fuse to get them off.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have no idea what I did (I was fiddling with a few things) But the lights went off and haven't gone back on. No idea what it is and I'll have to keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't happen again...hope I can still figure out the cause though so I can replace a part if needed.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You do know that your light switch has multiple positions. The first one after fully off turns on the parking lights only and the second position turns on the parking lights and headlights. Perhaps you had the switch in the first position after off.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
You do know that your light switch has multiple positions. The first one after fully off turns on the parking lights only and the second position turns on the parking lights and headlights. Perhaps you had the switch in the first position after off.
Yes, I do know that. That's the first thing I checked.... I did not have them on otherwise the buzzer would have been going and the dash lights would have been on. the only lights that where on were those back ones. They only went off when the fuse was pulled. With everything I messed with something worked. I pulled the dimmer and headlight switches out to see if those where malfunctioning, checked the break light and blinker switches, pulled all the light relays one by one to see if one of those was the problem, etc.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.