Rear Seat Center Belt Tensioner Issue

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Folded down the Seat Backs this weekend, now I can’t seem to return the larger one?

Been done before with no issues. Seems the Belt Tensioner will not release allowing slack to return the Seat Back? Lifting up hard only seems to pop the top cover mount off it’s snap

Plan is to let the Dealer DEAL with it when we take it in for the “incomplete seat weld” Recall :banghead:

IMG_9394.jpg
IMG_9396.jpg

Last edited:

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Wow. Looks like from the pic that the belt went down with the seat when you folded it down. Right?

I thought you had to unhook it from that plastic hook and kind of hold it to the side when fold and retract the seat?

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
The "Side" belt does just as you said.

This is the Center Belt. :(

My wife is to take it in this morning - funny thing is the Tech on the phone kinda made me feel like a fool saying "Yeah just bring it down and we'll take a quick look at it" As in, he thinks he'll just give it a tug and all will be well....

Who knows, perhaps so....

will let ya know.

I asked them to ALSO take a look at the Seat Rail Recall :)

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Update….

Well, at least I’m not the idiot (this time)

Service manager could not lift the Seat Back either – called in a mechanic, he was not able.
New Seat Belt Retractor on order – due in next week.

They also could not place the Driver’s Seat all the way back (due to the back seat back being in the way) to properly inspect for the Weld Recall.

Least is wasn’t a case of: “Old man does not know what he’s doing” (yet)

Will be interesting to see how they open the Seat Back to install the new Retractor – is it sewed? Are there snaps/clips? It does not look to be a simple job.

No biggie, Dealer has been very responsive and all is well long as it good as new when finished.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I looked at my seatbelt today. There is small button in the middle of the seatbelt webbing that keeps slack on the belt when folded forward. Sounds like yours came apart or slipped past its stop and allowed the slack to tension.

Lynnster

Buick Ownership
Buick
Glad you were vindicated! You got a taste of what it's like for females who take care of the family cars! I can't win by playing dumb or offering common sense, educated guesses based on researching (especially forums like this one!). Most of the time I get met with condescending manner, but as long as the dealership is responsive, it works out int he end!

Your dilemma & your description of it made me smile! Good luck!

Best from an "old lady"….!

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Day two of the car being in the shop.

Part came in, dealer called & said “come on in” Now they are trying to figure out how to get to the (inside) belt tensioner. Informed my wife that they needed another day – have to take it to the upholstery department - sounds like something is getting cut / stitched.

I knew it was going to be a bit of trouble.

Good news, they gave us a loaner.

See what comes….

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
All's well.

New Seat Belt (& tensioner) installed.
Only visible evidence of the replacement is that the New Belt is still a bit folded (as if it was packed in a box) - I'm sure that will work it's self out in time.
IMG_9709.jpg

I've no idea of how they got inside the “seat back” - but it all looks clean & good.

And Yes NormT - you may well have guessed the issue - for there is indeed a small Button half way down the strap that may well be there to stop such from happening - Will keep an eye out for it in the future :)
IMG_9711.jpg

BTW – My wife drove the Loaner car all of 14 Miles :)

Get your turbo buick badge right here!