• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Rear tie rods

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
Did you know the Lucerne is one of the few cars with rear tie rods? I was told I needed an alignment when getting an oil change at a Buick dealer. They handed me a sheet with 4 figures with the results of their alignment check. Months later took it to my regular shop and he recommended an alignment with "No, you only need to do a front end alignment". Minutes later he comes back and tells me the mechanic said I need a rear tie rod and, yes, a 4 wheel alignment after its replaced.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's a diagram on the rear system and I'll assume that they were talking about the rear lateral link part #30. Most newer independent rear suspensions will have a 4 wheel alignment, as far as the replacement part can't say as was not on site to see it. As a note either have the shop show you on the vehicle the part(s) that need replacement and explain why, and/or have them return your old parts to you, keeps you in the know and keeps the shop on notice in some cases.

050524GM07-046.png

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
He showed it to me. It's the #30 on the left side that is loose and has play. He didn't insist I get the right side replaced as there's nothing wrong with it. They're pretty good. I needed a wheel bearing and assumed I needed them for both wheels. He said the other one was fine and could last for years "It's just a fluke". They could've charged me $700 for both and I wouldn't have known any better.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
Did you know the Lucerne is one of the few cars with rear tie rods? I was told I needed an alignment when getting an oil change at a Buick dealer. They handed me a sheet with 4 figures with the results of their alignment check. Months later took it to my regular shop and he recommended an alignment with "No, you only need to do a front end alignment". Minutes later he comes back and tells me the mechanic said I need a rear tie rod and, yes, a 4 wheel alignment after its replaced.
(What I don't understand though is why you just can't take a wrench and tighten those. That rubber part is still there and doesn't look that worn, just tighten it up!)

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If the tie rod end was bad it would toss the alignment off, as no one on the forum could see it, so it's assuming it was bad, worn, or loose then tightening will not correct the problem.
bad-tie-rod-symptoms-1-1024x635.jpg

Pedal Commander