• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Recall 30/06/22 Regal 2018-2020

visitor

Buick Newbie
'77 Eldorado with 4 wheel discs (rare in '77 for any car) had a non vacuum brake booster system called Hydroboost ... The good old days.

'57 Roadmaster had over assisted power steering, no connection to road whatsoever, and 4 wheel drum brakes ... ate up the highway but handled like it looked on switchback mountain roads and could smell the brakes when I got to the bottom ...

Our '02 Astro van had hydroboost, but no room for a very wide pedal. The driver side wheel well came right up into the floor & there was barely room to put yer left foot flat to the floor.
'68 Charger was 4 wheel drums, but at least had vacuum booster as i recall. Steering & braking response time on that thing @ 3500 lb w/383 & 4-speed manual (tall) shifter was, well, a learning experience. Rubber in all 4 gears, though :p

bellaverde

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal Tour X
I saw someone post this recall on facebook page. I validated on my Buick app.

• No de rappel GM
  • N222370090
  • No de rappel de Transports Canada
  • Date d’émission :
  • Jun 30, 2022
Titre du rappel :
Increased Stopping Distance During Certain Brake Vacuum Loss Events
Description du rappel :
General Motors has decided that certain 2018-2020 model year Buick Regal vehicles may fail to conform to S7.11 of Federal/Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (F/CMVSS) No. 135, “Light vehicle brake systems.” Following a partial or full loss of vacuum-brake assist pressure, these vehicles may exceed the stopping-distance requirements in S7.11 of FMVSS 135.
Description du risque pour la sécurité :
If the vehicle’s vacuum-power brake assist partially or fully fails, braking events may require additional stopping distance, depending on the brake-pedal force applied by the driver. Increased stopping distances could increase the risk of a crash.
Description de la réparation :
Dealers will reflash the software in the electronic brake control module (EBCM).

Statut du rappel : INCOMPLET. RÉPARATION NON ENCORE DISPONIBLE
I should have found this forum earlier...jut got the official notice on 8/25/22.

lLePunisherl

Quebec,Canada
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 2019
I should have found this forum earlier...jut got the official notice on 8/25/22.
It's normal they only start to send letters august 15th. I receive mine yesterday. They don't change anything. The update software is not ready yet.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

BenD

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Just received mine. Funny that they don’t say that we should not drive the car, it’s the most crucial system who’s defective.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Don't stress with that we got Brembo front brake on our GS.
And kids, remember what happens when you only apply the front brakes on a bike? :ROFLMAO:

Schnickelfritz

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
The recall letter is written in such a way that this event would happen in very rare circumstances. There have been no accidents reported in the US that I can see. They originally saw this issue in Opel's in Europe.

RegalScott

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence
First off I own a 2018 Buick that I just bought used in late March of this year. I come from a Ford family but have been a GM car owner for over 10 years now with now more then one family driving GM cars including my wife.

I recently was approached by GM around May about a new position as I was actively looking carefully and now I am working contact for GM out of the Tech Center in Warren, I am a engineering by degree and experience. In late June or early July I received a email as many of us receive frome time to time working out of the Warren tech center looking for specific vechicles. I responded to this email as my 2018 Buick met that criteria. Really never thought anything of it until today.

How is this relivent here? Like most of you I recently received the letter and prior the dealer visit for warranty work gave me a verbal about this issue.

So this morning I received a email as did 6 others looking for a volunteer to reprogram the EBCM (electronic brake control module) on my 2018 Buick for this very issue. Since I was the first to respond my car will be the first to be reprogramed regarding this recall. This will be done at the GM tech center on Wednesday August 31st. I can only imagine once successful the recall letter will follow for the rest of you. I will update the thread after my visit on Wednesday if I find any more relevant information that I can post.

I really like my Buick, but please don't hesitate to contact me directly and I will raise your questions or concerns while I am at the appointment early in the afternoon on Wednesday.

Thank you,
Scott

Last edited:

visitor

Buick Newbie
Scheduling annual safety inspection on-line this morning, we were presented with this recall as a recommended service. I haven't spoken to anyone directly at this local dealer so it may be just a scheduling webpage inaccuracy.

Also, i had a dream the other night in which our brakes failed twice driving our TourX in reverse, sending us down a hill into a ravine. Dont' know if the more important reveal from the dream is that this stuff is getting that deep into my psyche or that i did it twice 😴

Attachments

• recmmndd.pdf
    56.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by corn fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Scheduling annual safety inspection on-line this morning, we were presented with this recall as a recommended service. I haven't spoken to anyone directly at this local dealer so it may be just a scheduling webpage inaccuracy.
Nothing inaccurate about the PDF file. The dealer will have to reflash some software to remedy this situation. It’s just that the software isn’t ready yet. Let us know if you happen to be a lucky Guinea pig to get the upgrade early.

RegalScott

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence
So a update on my car getting EBCM reprogramed at the Warren tech center. First as someone already said this recall originated with the Opals in Gemany. This would have been handled much different if it were a safety issue. They had no issues with the reprogram update on my car. When asked when the letters would be sent now that there is a solution he said soon. He could not give a definite date as it sounds like there are several approvals before the letters get sent.

Hope this helps!
Scott

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 1985 Skyhawk T-Type, 1982 Regal Coupe, 1970 Skylark sedan
Glad I saw this here first, thanks all! Got my letter the other day. Looking forward to what the guinea pigs have to say.

In the meantime, I'll be ready to stand on the brake (like the good-olds...). The letter makes me feel so warm and cozy though - what would we do without nanny's :p

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by corn fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Glad I saw this here first, thanks all! Got my letter the other day. Looking forward to what the guinea pigs have to say.

In the meantime, I'll be ready to stand on the brake (like the good-olds...). The letter makes me feel so warm and cozy though - what would we do without nanny's :p
With how little I drive nowadays (initially working remotely, now retired early) it will be very unlikely that I experience this problem. Now if they could only fix the intermittent SD card has been removed problem that I once in a great while...

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
This would have been handled much different if it were a safety issue.

Increased stopping distance is not a safety issue? I understand the parameters when this happens are rare, but that doesn't mean it isn't a safety problem. That's why there is a recall in the first place.

RegalScott

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence
Increased stopping distance is not a safety issue? I understand the parameters when this happens are rare, but that doesn't mean it isn't a safety problem. That's why there is a recall in the first place.
Let me rephrase, yes it is a safety issue and covered under the the recall. But GM is not advising any one to park there car. As you stated only under very rare circumstances when vacuum is lost.

What I was told by the Tech that serviced my car was if this was a bigger concern they would have rushed the recall though and your letter would have had a solution instructing you to contact your dealer for reprograming EBCM.

Scott

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 1985 Skyhawk T-Type, 1982 Regal Coupe, 1970 Skylark sedan
With how little I drive nowadays (initially working remotely, now retired early) it will be very unlikely that I experience this problem. Now if they could only fix the intermittent SD card has been removed problem that I once in a great while...
Agreed. Gotta admit, jealous of your early retirement - nice work!