• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Red LED next to light sensor on dash

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
2006 LaCrosse, 90,000 miles.

The battery's dead. I guessed it was going out, but I was headed out of town for a week. Came home, tried to start car, dead.

The battery's no huge problem; I can take my wife's car to Autozone and pick up a battery. But what's the bright red LED on top of the dash next to the automatic headlight light sensor, that comes on (brightly) when I try to start the car but it won't start? Is that just a dead batttery indicator? I looked in the manual but could find no reference to it.

Thanks.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Yup, mine flashes with security system activated. Corvettes, they would punch or drill holes in battery through engine vents and drain out battery acid...... field day, nothing working.

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Thanks guys, I had never seen it flash before - or even come on before, actually. I guess I was searching the manual for warning lights and missed the security system part of the book.

It came on when I cranked the car but it wouldn't start. Electrical gremlins, no doubt.

Having read some of the other threads about changing the battery, I appreciate this ain't my other car/my wife's car (a '91 Jeep Cherokee). You can't just whip out the old battery and shove in a new one without one of those back-up power things in the 12v socket (which I don't have), or you'll be sorry. The current battery isn't completely dead - lights and radio still work - it's just too tired to start the car.

Luckily I do have AAA, and a morning off work. I'll call them in a bit, hope they can jump it, and drive it to the battery place on the edge of town my neighbor recommended.

Thanks again for your info/advice.

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Update: According to AAA, because I'm a "Platinum" member (I only buy that level because, as I mentioned, a 91 Jeep/06 LaCrosse and the 200 miles towing is peace of mind)...with a dead battery their tech will install a new battery gratis based on my membership.

A quick look at online reviews of AAA car batteries is...varied. But if he can put one in and get me on my way, I figure if I only get 2 years out of it before changing it (before it dies, this time)...that'll do for me!

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Back on the road! One thing the AAA guy noticed - when you switch off the car and lock it, the reversing lights stay on for a minute or so; he says this is abnormal and mentioned a possible fault with the reversing light switch I should investigate. Some kind of switch or relay fixed to the transmission case?

I had my wife stand behind the car, and, in normal operation (i.e. when idling or in Drive) the reversing lights are not on, and only come on when the car is in reverse (which is reassuring), but AAA guy is quite right - they do come on and stay on for a minute after shutting down the car.

A weird Buick feature, or a problem to be looked at?

Last edited:

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Looks like I found the answer to this, it's a weird GM quirk!

Why The Reverse Lights Come On In GM Vehicles When Locking And Unlocking The Car: Video

I guess the previous owner had somehow turned off this annoying function, and putting in a new battery turned it back on again. The 2006 Buick LaCrosse CS didn't come with a driver information center feature, so I hope this isn't a weird cycle of turning switches on and off in a certain timeframe (like the nightmare of resetting the oil light with repeated presses of the gas pedal)!

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Those may well supposed to be that way. When I shut my car off headlights go on and backups well could. Just for exiting car in dark.

Pedal Commander