• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Red needle vs white needle

Hinky

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
White needle has a governer on top speed?
Yes. I think it's 130.

Some here have complained about the backup camera lines not always appearing, and the camera framerate being slow when the lines are on. I think that was a white needle UI problem. My red needle has lines and a smooth framerate.

The switch to white needles and the new UI also came with the inclusion of air ionizers. They charge air molecules, causing pollutants to clump and precipitate onto surfaces so they can't be inhaled. Red needle cars don't have this feature.

Red needle cars need to have their maps updated. White needles store the map on an SD card in the armrest so you can just pop in a new one.

Some red needle cars didn't come with the sound-deadening tires.

Red needle cars that have the wireless charging dock have a version that isn't actually compatible with the Qi standard, making it incompatible with many/most phones. White needle cars with the same package got a compliant one that works with most/all wireless-charge phones.

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
The switch to white needles and the new UI also came with the inclusion of air ionizers. They charge air molecules, causing pollutants to clump and precipitate onto surfaces so they can't be inhaled. Red needle cars don't have this feature.

Red needle cars that have the wireless charging dock have a version that isn't actually compatible with the Qi standard, making it incompatible with many/most phones. White needle cars with the same package got a compliant one that works with most/all wireless-charge phones.
Air-ionizer was listed as a 2019 feature. The switch to white needles was in 2018.5, so someone would have to verify that a 2018.5 has the ionizer.

Did the 2018.5 white needle cars get the updated wireless charger? I wasn't sure there was a definitive answer there. I believe 2019 did, but 2018.5 might still have the old hardware.

Hinky

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
I can verify that I test drove a new 2018 with white needles and an ionizer and a wireless charger that worked on my phone. The red needle I ended up buying has no ionizer and the wireless charger does not charge my phone.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I can verify that I test drove a new 2018 with white needles and an ionizer and a wireless charger that worked on my phone. The red needle I ended up buying has no ionizer and the wireless charger does not charge my phone.
I would still caution those looking at cars to verify all of the odd crossover features before making assumptions. There were 3 different USB/Line In options for just red needle cars... that isn't called out anywhere.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I have a 2018.5 GS with white needles and new infotainment. I have the older phone charger and I do not have the ionizer.

There are some lower trim models out there with red needles but the new UI on the 7" infotainment.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have a 2018.5 GS with white needles and new infotainment. I have the older phone charger and I do not have the ionizer.

There are some lower trim models out there with red needles but the new UI on the 7" infotainment.

Sounds like they screwed the pooch on any logic behind what vehicles got what when.
When we run out of these parts use these. I assume they changed RPO for hardware?
I guess they could just say we can not order parts for your car till we pull the old ones out.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
I've been thinking the same thing...wondering if there was any change orders issued or did the new instrument clusters just show-up and when the 'red needle' units were gone they just started installing 'em. Pretty sure both clusters must use the same connections & connectors or else they would have to install a new harness to use them, which would make the change over much more involved.

runeight

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour X Essence
I have a 2018. Has white needles with phone charger in console. Doesn’t fit unless you take the phone out of protective sleeve. Guess they forgot about that huh?

No idea about ionizer.

Map18TTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx
where is the ionizer located in a Tourx?

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Preferred Sport Red/Shale - red needle
From a logic standpoint, I'd have to guess it's in the glove box near the cabin air filter.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
From a logic standpoint, I'd have to guess it's in the glove box near the cabin air filter.
I believe the ionizer is built right in to the housing (#1 in the diagram).

The entire housing has a different part number, and in fact the old one is showing as discontinued and if you look up 2019, the dual zone one isn't even listed. Odd. Screenshot_2019-07-25-17-33-52.png

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Maybe 5... but says discontinued so may be without ionizer. I can not tell if a elect connector is on part or not.

Turbo Buick Badge