• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Red needlers...what format are you running for USB's?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yes I did do a search but it seems the multiple threads suggest NTFS which my car does not recognize at all. I used to use a smaller USB microSD card reader and it was fine but couldn't hold all of my music. So I bought a low profile Sandisk (128GB) and the only options for formatting are exFAT or NTFS. Neither one works, regardless of how many files I put on. At first I thought it might just be taking a long time for the Gracenote thing to index everything, but after 10 minutes it still couldn't find the drive let alone folders. I took a smaller drive out and formatted to FAT32 and immediately it was playing files but was taking a while to index. In one thread someone mentioned that FAT32 failed on them after a short time but NTFS worked great. So I guess my question is not only what format are you running but how large of a USB drive are you using?

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
While I do have white needles, I spent a lot of time trying to use an SD card for music storage and ended up using a small 16 gig usb thumb drive, I had the best results with (I believe) Fat32 and only using MP3s for my music files. Other file formats were unreliable or just not there- like a folder might be there but no songs, or vice versa, or other strange file structure problems.

It also takes it's time to build the library each time I start the car with about 5-6 gigs of music on there.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
yeah my problem was the partition size limitation with FAT32, I have about 60-70 GB of music. But even just putting a few albums on NTFS or exFAT yielded nothing. So maybe on vacation I will look at some of the alternate FAT32 formatting tools that get past the 32GB limit. Thanks for the input though.

agaric

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
You can try formatting a usb stick as cd-rom if available but fat32 is preferred and of course has the 32 GB limit.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
So I just formatted the 128GB Sandisk as a FAT32 drive using some executable by Ridgecorp Consultants. Going all in to transfer all the music over now. It will take a while but I will report back later on if that works.

Vicfirth

Memphis, TN
Buick Ownership
'19 Buick Regal Tourx, '12 Challenger, '07 Magnum, '03 Toyota Matrix, '02 VStrom1000
Yes I did do a search but it seems the multiple threads suggest NTFS which my car does not recognize at all. I used to use a smaller USB microSD card reader and it was fine but couldn't hold all of my music. So I bought a low profile Sandisk (128GB) and the only options for formatting are exFAT or NTFS. Neither one works, regardless of how many files I put on. At first I thought it might just be taking a long time for the Gracenote thing to index everything, but after 10 minutes it still couldn't find the drive let alone folders. I took a smaller drive out and formatted to FAT32 and immediately it was playing files but was taking a while to index. In one thread someone mentioned that FAT32 failed on them after a short time but NTFS worked great. So I guess my question is not only what format are you running but how large of a USB drive are you using?
Red needle here - I have a 64G flash drive I use with MP3's. No issues.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
No, just dropped MP3's on the stick and was good to go.
Did it come exFAT? I haven't seen any larger USB's come in anything other than NTFS or exFAT. I think my car used to be OK with NTFS but I can't make anything but FAT32 work right now.

Vicfirth

Memphis, TN
Buick Ownership
'19 Buick Regal Tourx, '12 Challenger, '07 Magnum, '03 Toyota Matrix, '02 VStrom1000
Did it come exFAT? I haven't seen any larger USB's come in anything other than NTFS or exFAT. I think my car used to be OK with NTFS but I can't make anything but FAT32 work right now.
I'm not sure...I bought it, put it in my pc, copied some mp3's over to it, put it in the Buick, and then enjoy the music.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Well FAT32 on the 128GB failed. Still not recognized. I guess I will stick with the trimmed down collection on a 32GB drive.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
Running 64gb Sandisk FAT32 formatted. No issues-playing music and audiobooks just fine.

STSinNYC

NYC
Buick Ownership
Tour X
In the GM literature its says the audio system will play Ogg (eg Ogg Vorbis) files as well as MP3 and I think I saw WMA and AAC (MP4). Has anyone had success playing formats ither than MP3?

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
In the GM literature its says the audio system will play Ogg (eg Ogg Vorbis) files as well as MP3 and I think I saw WMA and AAC (MP4). Has anyone had success playing formats ither than MP3?
I think I had issues with OGG, ended up converting to MP3

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
I was eyeballing it.....I would probably go with the module,so I can mess around with it.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!