Regal and TourX productions cuts

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It may become which market share is more profitable, LH or RH drive. Making that small of a production run for both drive sides seems difficult to maintain and keep costs down.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
With this news, I bet the Insignia/TourX will live on with the new PSA grill, interior and engines and not be available in the US market after 2019. Hope I'm wrong.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Any chance of manufacturing ramping up in China? I know they have their own sedan version. I'm more worried about parts availability, so it would be nice to have the car on the market for a couple more years from that point of view.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The Chinese and the European markets are setting mandates on reduced emissions for automotive industry. EV and hybrids are in a much higher pace to bring to market, the UK even has some cities trying to have there downtown areas EV only lol. So unless these can be updated it, which is unlikely, probably going away with this last production run. Here's some information on what is going on, different than USA market on mandates.

www.driving.co.uk/news/rapid-switch-electric-vehicles-will-put-eu-car-industry-risk-says-acea/amp/

Climate goals mean Europe will overtake US in electric cars

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Any chance of manufacturing ramping up in China? I know they have their own sedan version. I'm more worried about parts availability, so it would be nice to have the car on the market for a couple more years from that point of view.
Many many years ago, I swore I'd never buy a "Captive Import". (Car made in another country but sold here with an American brand name one example is the unforgettable Plymouth Cricket plus others that I have forgotten). (Volvo, Mercedes, VW, Audi are not captive imports, just imports). Now that I think of it, we can have the same problems with regular imports that were sold here. Think of Saab, Peugeot, Renault, Rover Sterling, Suzuki, etc.

Oh well.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The Chinese and the European markets are setting mandates on reduced emissions for automotive industry. EV and hybrids are in a much higher pace to bring to market, the UK even has some cities trying to have there downtown areas EV only lol. So unless these can be updated it, which is unlikely, probably going away with this last production run. Here's some information on what is going on, different than USA market on mandates.

www.driving.co.uk/news/rapid-switch-electric-vehicles-will-put-eu-car-industry-risk-says-acea/amp/

Climate goals mean Europe will overtake US in electric cars
It's really such a shame, this TourX is such a nice car. It's disappointing that it didn't fine a broader market. I was parked the other day in a row of boring looking SUVs, and the TourX really stood out. Too bad most won't know what they're missing.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
GM has had some great cars, especially when it get to the end of a production run which is shame that it can't be done at the beginning and 4 years earlier LOL. TourX is a great looking vehicle, maybe wheel well moldings being the exception, and will probably always draw attention as nobody has ever seen one in the wild.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
It all depends on sales numbers whether a vehicle will be discontinued or not. Seeing there's not much demand for the TourX there's a good possibility it will be discontinued. The Lacrosse will definitely be discontinued but there's no word on the TourX as of now.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
It may become which market share is more profitable, LH or RH drive. Making that small of a production run for both drive sides seems difficult to maintain and keep costs down.
What you say makes sense, but how GM has gone about eliminating models has not. The Verano was doing well (30,000+ sold annually prior to discontinuing) and got axed a couple years before the LaCrosse (under 30,000 /year) and inevitably it seems, the Regal (20,000 or less /year).

LaCrosse

Regal

Verano

This could suggest they were quietly planning to kill the LaCrosse and Regal, going back as far as 2016. I wonder what forces obligated them to producing either vehicle (assuming perhaps the PSA Opel agreement for the Regal, but why the LaCrosse?). Were they really making *that* much more on the sale of a Regal or LaCrosse that 10-40% lower sales compared to the Verano justified them continuing the models?

Last edited:

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Perhaps certain Buick factions wanted to eliminate the Verano to reduce cannibalization of the previous-gen Regal sales. Looking at the sales numbers for both cars between '12 and '17 makes me believe the Verano really hampered Regal sales, along with a lack of advertising. I still remember a local dealer exec trying to steer me into a Regal at our auto show in '13 or '14 after I asked when the Verano Turbo would arrive locally.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Comparing the sales of the Regal to the sales of the Malibu which is a similar car, the Malibu out sold the Regal by 10 to 1 in the last 8 years. Sure the Regal is a step up from the Malibu since it has more features, but they both have the same drivetrain and a similar chassis/size. So obviously the people feel the Regal is overpriced and the Malibu is a better value. Looking at the sales numbers of the Regal, it wouldn't come as a surprise that the Regal gets discontinued.

Chevy is discontinuing the Impala which is surprising to me since I see them everywhere. But if you look at the sales numbers for the Impala for the last 10 years, they have declined by 5 to 1 so it really doesn't come as a surprise to me. Sales of the Lacrosse have also declined by about 5 to 1 and Buick is discontinuing that model. Seeing the Regal has similar sales number to the Lacrosse it's inevitable that the Regal will be discontinued too.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
We purchased our TourX yesterday and were told by the dealer that Buick is going to be eliminating all cars and will only be selling SUVs, a la GMC. He mentioned 2019 to likely be the end of the regal line.

A bit sad I suppose, but the looks and rarity of this TourX (having only seen one in my life!), was what led to our purchase and me into a Buick showroom for the very first time. Seems like a huge marketing miss, but I’m sure there’s a lot going on behind the scenes too with the Peugeot purchase.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Not hard to figure out a Regal vs Malibu GM decision-making process is point of origin. Opel with the announcement, true or not, of cutting volume and trying to produce a vehicle for 3 different market some how it doesn't really make good business sense to continue with a product that has a ever shrinking market. 17k per market, not enough profit margin especially when the plant has to do change overs along with the special market parts that are needed.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I don't like SUV's so unless I get a used 2018 or 2019 Regal when it's time to replace my Regal I won't be buying any more Buicks. If Chevy keeps making the Malibu that might be my next car because I really like the 2.0 turbo engine.

I do like the Kia Stinger GT though since it's available with a twin turbo V6 and all wheel drive. But right now they are out of my price range, so I'll have to see what the used ones are going for when it's time to trade my Regal. I'm not crazy about the idea of buying an import, but if GM & Ford stop making cars I'll have no choice because I don't like SUV's.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
Seems other than Camry, Accord and Altima, BMW 3, one of the only passenger sedans doing well by me is the Tesla Model 3. Seeing tons of the Teslas each day.

Sad for me to see the sedans being cut in such numbers. Not really an SUV person myself. I like the TourX and Volvo 60 wagon - but the Volvo gets pricey. Only SUV which I tested and liked is the Stelvio - but one is taking a bit of a gamble on FCA quality. Beautiful vehicle though and great handling for an SUV.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I would buy a Tesla but they are out of my price range as of now. I like the idea of spending $10 a week to go to & from work instead of $40 or more a week on gas. A used model 3 is $50,000 in my area.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I would buy a Tesla but they are out of my price range as of now. I like the idea of spending $10 a week to go to & from work instead of $40 or more a week on gas. A used model 3 is $50,000 in my area.
I have to carry things like dishwashers, so I need either a wagon or van or SUV. I'm not emotionally inclined to drive an SUV. I'm glad I got my TourX before they're gone.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.