Regal and TourX productions cuts

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I do like the Kia Stinger GT though since it's available with a twin turbo V6 and all wheel drive. But right now they are out of my price range, so I'll have to see what the used ones are going for when it's time to trade my Regal. I'm not crazy about the idea of buying an import, but if GM & Ford stop making cars I'll have no choice because I don't like SUV's.
The Stinger is/was well received by most reviewers and auto magazines. But the slow sales also puts it in jeopardy, especially considering the new Genesis G70 is close in performance when you opt for the same engine/drivetrain and most people like me would go for the luxury version of the Stinger versus an actual Stinger for just a bit more $$$.

Stinger 2018 total 16,806
Stinger Sales

It was on sale for all of 2018.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I can't afford a new one so the sale is a moot point. And of those 16,808 sold they aren't all the twin turbo V6, it also comes with a 2.0 turbo four that more people probably purchased. So there might be 5000 GT's that were sold.

I just checked and the used ones are going for $40 grand, thats more than I can afford since I'm putting my twin daughters thru college right now.

Last edited:

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I can't afford a new one so the sale is a moot point. And of those 16,808 sold they aren't all the twin turbo V6, it also comes with a 2.0 turbo four that more people probably purchased. So there might be 5000 GT's that were sold.

I just checked and the used ones are going for $40 grand, thats more than I can afford since I'm putting my twin daughters thru college right now.
Sorry I wasn't clear -- there's a chance the Stinger won't be around for much longer either. Just figure I would point out sedan sales are so bad even a critically acclaimed car isn't selling.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Ok I see where you are coming from now. It seems that the sheeple are all migrating to SUV's and there's nothing we can do to stop the car companies from discontinuing cars. I would never have imagined that Buick and Cadillac would become strictly SUV/truck companies 30 years ago.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The transitions started 35 years ago and has been slowly progressive ever since. Who would have thought 50 years ago that Buick wouldn't be selling a full size 2 door coupe and all the sheeple would be in sedans LOL.

How well would the 1964 GTO sold if it was introduced as a 4 door sedan and not a 2 door coupe, age and perspective on the next vehicles seems to make cars of the past better.

Don't like what's happening now, wait it will be worse 5 years from now as GM is no different than McDonald's, you want a hamburger no problem, you want a hot dog go some place else.

I sympathize with the TourX owners as to what all the changes will mean when it comes time to trade in or sell there vehicle or how that will affect the value.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I sympathize with the TourX owners as to what all the changes will mean when it comes time to trade in or sell there vehicle or how that will affect the value.
Conversely, there could be a demand in the future for sedans and wagons. This happened in the TDI world with wagons when they stopped making them from 2006-2008. Demand of older wagons spiked hard and people made nice profits on their vehicle in that time frame.

Not saying this is what will happen, but there could be a profitable used resale market once folks realize they can't get the car they wanted anymore.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Conversely, there could be a demand in the future for sedans and wagons. This happened in the TDI world with wagons when they stopped making them from 2006-2008. Demand of older wagons spiked hard and people made nice profits on their vehicle in that time frame.

Not saying this is what will happen, but there could be a profitable used resale market once folks realize they can't get the car they wanted anymore.
As someone who purchased yesterday, knowing the info at hand, I’m hoping obviously that this is the case. All in all, and with the highly aggressive deal I was given, I thought it was still a good move. Pound for pound, it’s an amazing vehicle vs what else is out there. I’ve always been a “wagon guy”, and I think (most similarly minded people) will always be looking at wagons. Here’s to hoping the trade in values agree!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
In the magic kingdom of auto sales anything is possible. At one time the Pontiac Grand Am was a hot used car. I got one that needed minor work, had delamination paint and got a full free paint job. Called my buddy at the dealership on what they were going for and when he told me I almost dropped the phone and had to ask if that was retail, nope black book wholesale. I went down that day and he cut me a check for something I considered a POS and made 4K from a dealer.

Can the TourX become a in demand used vehicle sure, Saab and Volvo seem to have that "cult" following on there wagons but they had a longer period of being in the market. The only challenge will be if someone knows what a TourX is years from now as it doesn't seems like the general public doesn't know what it is now LOL, thank you Buick.

gobluetwo

A Regular
IL
Buick Ownership
none
Sorry I wasn't clear -- there's a chance the Stinger won't be around for much longer either. Just figure I would point out sedan sales are so bad even a critically acclaimed car isn't selling.
But the Stinger is really more a niche vehicle in Kia's lineup. They still hang their hats on the Optima and Forte for that. No idea what the sales expectations were for 2018, but it seems like it's really the Cadenza and K900 that they'd want to ditch over the Stinger. I still don't understand why they brought those to the US market.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X

Let's hope this is the case. I have a '08 Forester Xt sports (STI appearance package) that is worth some change right now. Subaru only made the Sports model for 2 yrs, '07-'08 with the '08 being the more desirable.

Granted this example has 46k orignal miles and some bolt-ons, anything is possible

Attachments

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Hard to say what will happen with resale.

I buy cars for the long term. By the time I'm ready to upgrade there isn't much 'value' left. My '03 TDI wagon with 300k miles is only worth a few bucks at this point, but it's a workhorse that I plan to keep until it disintegrates.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I’ve been reading this thread with some degree of sadness as I detest SUV’s. A few minutes ago I just saw a new Regal GS on the road (red) which is the first one I’ve seen underway. It was incredibly beautiful and what a shame it will be if Buick brings a car like this to market and then abandons it for SUV’s.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Comparing the sales of the Regal to the sales of the Malibu which is a similar car, the Malibu out sold the Regal by 10 to 1 in the last 8 years. Sure the Regal is a step up from the Malibu since it has more features, but they both have the same drivetrain and a similar chassis/size. So obviously the people feel the Regal is overpriced and the Malibu is a better value. Looking at the sales numbers of the Regal, it wouldn't come as a surprise that the Regal gets discontinued.
Malibu sales figures are a bit deceiving. Uber leases Malibus to drivers. Pretty high take rate. Not saying it accounts for the entire delta in sales, but at least 1 of the 10 times :)

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
Hard to say what will happen with resale.

I buy cars for the long term. By the time I'm ready to upgrade there isn't much 'value' left. My '03 TDI wagon with 300k miles is only worth a few bucks at this point, but it's a workhorse that I plan to keep until it disintegrates.

there's nothing wrong with that

Hell, I'm Daily driving a '95 Lexus sc300

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
How & why to save a station wagon (estate car)

Why.
  • PSA/Opel Division has an up and running fairly modern manufacturing & assembly facility.
    Opel Plant Responsible For Buick Regal Production In For Cuts
  • Most all the Engineering is completed.
  • Logistics & supply chain are established.
  • Sold in several different markets.
  • Customers have a choice. Not a lot of competition in price value segment.
How.
Go all in. we all know too many at GM are a bunch of pussies.
  • Drop Buick's SV1 Trim
  • SV1 becomes Chevrolet Biscayne MSRP $24,900
  • Drop Buick's Preferred Trim
  • Preferred Trim becomes Chevrolet Nomad MSRP $29,900
  • Sub trim Nomad S/S MSRP $32,900
  • Buick Keeps TourX Essence MSRP $34,900
  • Buicks Adds GS Version MSRP $38,900 SS & GS loses the “I’m really a SUV” Cladding. Replace with some very tasteful skirts & ground effects
  • Buicks Adds Avenir Trim MSRP $41,900
  • Do not discount and cheapen the brand more than Toyota or Honda would, for example.
  • Advertise, Make adds fun, put fear of God in your ad agency, or axe the overpaid clowns.
  • 9 speed Auto or sport mode that works. Nothing weird or fake.
  • 270 HP 2.0 L
  • 325 HP 3.6L V6
  • New not boring paint colors
  • Minimum 1500 Lb. Tow rating for utility trailers and such.
  • Top trim Avenir gets HUD, Heated and cooled seats, top end stuff all around.
  • This stuff optional stuff on GS.
  • Overall Sporty up the ride just a notch, Offer 2 Tire Options
  • Fix the minor stuff.
Finally, consider what Subaru and Toyota did with their Safety Suite, consider adding to every model, ((Raise MSRP to cover most of it), or at least make the safety nannies’ an affordable option on lower trims.

PS. I have more, but GM would have pay my consulting fee.

Last edited:

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hey mike69940---your post makes sense. When was the last time GM made a decision recently that made sense?

I guess what you're saying is possible. Since the Regal sedan is also made in China by GM, I guess that means GM still owns the sedan's 'bones' (unless that's also under license), but I wonder if that would include the wagon version for possible production in China or other GM plant?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
My battery died today so a coworker jump started it and I dropped it off at the Buick dealer near my work place. They gave me an Encore SUV loaner to drive until they replace my battery. This POS is so dang slow and I hate it! Can't wait to get back in my car tomorrow.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.