Regal GS headlight assembly w/ HID Discontinued?

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS, 6spd manual. white diamond
I have some condensation in my driver side headlight, I am still under bumper to bumper CPO warranty but of course the dealer is saying that is not covered under warranty and told me the part assembly alone would be $1100. Which I could not believe, so I have been searching online for an OEM one (Part # 22934024, which is the HID one) and it is saying part discontinued everywhere I look.

Anyone know if they have a replacement part out for it? Or perhaps a newer regal GS (I have 2012 GS) headlight assembly will fit?

Handy_Andy

Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm not sure where you got that Part #, but in the current GM EPC the Part # for the LHS HID / T4F headlamp assembly is 22794767 (RHS is 22794766). A quick Google search looks like they're around $300-$400.

There is no specific GS headlamp - it's just a 2011-15 Regal HID lamp. They made them in HID and non-HID versions; all GS' have HID, but you could get HID in other trim levels.

I would go to a different dealer though . . . I don't understand why that wouldn't be covered under warranty. Unless there is a crack on the lens that was clearly caused by some kind of collision, condensation inside the lamp means a bad seal, so a manufacturer defect. Did they give you a reason why they wouldn't cover it? My Dad had the same issue on another brand car, and they replaced BOTH headlamps under warranty, no questions asked.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
The dealer gave me the part #, thanks for the correct one though! I knew it was much cheaper as I had one replaced before because of a collision by insurance and I coulda sworn it was a few hundred dollars. Ya I called GM and asked them for a list of what is covered under bumper to bumper warranty and what is not, they refused and said it is up to the dealer warranty claims person. Regardless I am going to try another dealer monday, I feel bad for other consumers who do not have the time to push on things like this, essentially defrauding customers by denying warranties isnt okay and GM couldnt of cared less

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
I'm not sure where you got that Part #, but in the current GM EPC the Part # for the LHS HID / T4F headlamp assembly is 22794767 (RHS is 22794766). A quick Google search looks like they're around $300-$400.

There is no specific GS headlamp - it's just a 2011-15 Regal HID lamp. They made them in HID and non-HID versions; all GS' have HID, but you could get HID in other trim levels.

I would go to a different dealer though . . . I don't understand why that wouldn't be covered under warranty. Unless there is a crack on the lens that was clearly caused by some kind of collision, condensation inside the lamp means a bad seal, so a manufacturer defect. Did they give you a reason why they wouldn't cover it? My Dad had the same issue on another brand car, and they replaced BOTH headlamps under warranty, no questions asked.
Got the part # from another dealer to confirm what is correct PArt # 19351949, ~750$

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Got the part # from another dealer to confirm what is correct PArt # 19351949, ~750$
As mentioned, the correct Part Number's are: 22794766 ; 13226800 is listed as the RH HEADLAMP. Capsule/Headlamp/Fog Lamp & the LH HEADLAMP Capsule/Headlamp/Fog Lamp is Part Number: 22794767 ; 13226799. I see no mention of (correct PArt # 19351949, ~750$) in the parts listing!! Both seem to made in China! No wonder they leak! BTW, you might remind the original dealer the "Bumper to Bumper warranty" includes everything between the front bumper to the rear bumper. They can cover it & GM will reimburse them. It's usually up to the service writer to make that decision. If you get the same answer from another service writer, ask to speak to the dealer General Manager, especially if you bought the car from that dealer!

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/products/HEADLAMP-CapsuleHeadlampFog-Lamp/10513489/22794766.html
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/products/HEADLAMP-CapsuleHeadlampFog-Lamp/10559620/22794767.html

Last edited:

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
As mentioned, the correct Part Number's are: 22794766 ; 13226800 is listed as the RH HEADLAMP. Capsule/Headlamp/Fog Lamp & the LH HEADLAMP Capsule/Headlamp/Fog Lamp is Part Number: 22794767 ; 13226799. I see no mention of (correct PArt # 19351949, ~750$) in the parts listing!! Both seem to made in China! No wonder they leak! BTW, you might remind the original dealer the "Bumper to Bumper warranty" includes everything between the front bumper to the rear bumper. They can cover it & GM will reimburse them. It's usually up to the service writer to make that decision. If you get the same answer from another service writer, ask to speak to the dealer General Manager, especially if you bought the car from that dealer!

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/products/HEADLAMP-CapsuleHeadlampFog-Lamp/10513489/22794766.html
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/products/HEADLAMP-CapsuleHeadlampFog-Lamp/10559620/22794767.html
That is for the Halogen headlamp, I have the xenon (I think all GS have it and option on the regal T):

RH Xenon
LH Xenon 19351949 ("blue ring")

RH Halogen 22794766
LH Halogen 22794767

And unfortunately I have tried several dealers saying that exact thing, each saying it is not covered under bumper to bumper via (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B32xJQghdGA-XzdfRFZ4Z0ozMVU/view?usp=sharing). Even contacted GM and talked to service reps and their managers all saying the same thing

cino135

A Regular
Tampa FL
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS 3 stage pearl white, 20' OEM chrome
Sorry to hear that you're having such difficulties. From my understanding of a bumper to bumper warranty, especially on a Buick CPO vehicle, the headlamps ARE covered under the warranty due to those parts being bolted onto the car by the manufacturer. They may be trying to short change you in hopes that youll let it go, especially if you , like me, have the GS model with the HID headlamp assys. Those are 1200-1300 each! I just had one replaced BY MY DEALER under the warranty due to the mounting bracket, (plastic arm connected to top of fender) being broken. I would have been willing to work a deal with them about it if they would be willing to do some "other" work for me instead. Wish you good luck. Im not having much luck getting the dealer to replace/fix the really crappy tint installed on mine, (purchased used, obviously w/ CPO).
Im actually a bit nervous right now as I had a CEL come on today and its the P0299 under powered turbo/supercharger. I certainly hope they dont try to screw me on this, especially since I bought into the whole Buick CPO program with bumper to bumper warranty for another 12 months!

Handy_Andy

Buick Ownership
Buick

@jwmuscat is actually correct, I think maybe both of us were thrown off by the same thing in the EPC - there are separate "tabs" in EPC for Halogen and HID headlamps, but for some reason when you select HID it still shows both sets of Part Numbers. The 22794766/67 still come up as "Headlamp", and 19351948/49 come up as "Headlamp Kit". But then when you scroll over to Usage it shows the 227... as T4A option (Halogen) and 193... as T4F option (HID). Must be an oversight by whoever populates the EPC.

Also I work in quality at the Oshawa plant that builds the Regals, and I can tell you we have many fewer quality issues with the Buick lamps than the other cars that are produced here. All of the current OE lamps come from Europe, although China does produce the Regal too, so maybe the replacement parts come from there? Either way, the quality of most of the China / Mexico / European parts that we receive is better than a lot of the North American parts. Also every material that is used is specified and sourced by GM, so no matter where it's assembled, the types of glue / plastic, amounts, etc. are all set by GM engineering.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Sorry to hear that you're having such difficulties. From my understanding of a bumper to bumper warranty, especially on a Buick CPO vehicle, the headlamps ARE covered under the warranty due to those parts being bolted onto the car by the manufacturer. They may be trying to short change you in hopes that youll let it go, especially if you , like me, have the GS model with the HID headlamp assys. Those are 1200-1300 each! I just had one replaced BY MY DEALER under the warranty due to the mounting bracket, (plastic arm connected to top of fender) being broken. I would have been willing to work a deal with them about it if they would be willing to do some "other" work for me instead. Wish you good luck. Im not having much luck getting the dealer to replace/fix the really crappy tint installed on mine, (purchased used, obviously w/ CPO).
Im actually a bit nervous right now as I had a CEL come on today and its the P0299 under powered turbo/supercharger. I certainly hope they dont try to screw me on this, especially since I bought into the whole Buick CPO program with bumper to bumper warranty for another 12 months!
Honestly what I have learned is CPO is not what is seems to be, and that has been backed up by several friends of mine who work at dealerships. For me it is a lesson learned, I would rather just buy a used with some factory warranty remaining for less than a used CPO which has a premium price attached to it.

I think you will be fine getting it covered for the code. I am still dealing with GM service about headlight/engine noise (about a month and counting now). Here is a document I obtained from dealer about what is NOT covered by CPO bumper to bumper https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B32xJQghdGA-XzdfRFZ4Z0ozMVU/view?usp=sharing

cino135

A Regular
Tampa FL
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS 3 stage pearl white, 20' OEM chrome
Thank you for the info. I had ALWAYS been very weary about the whole CPO tag for a used purchase, but I actually bit on this one. Still holding out hope as Ive just owned the vehicle for just over a month and 3.5 weeks of that the car was at the dealership having "work" done so it could meet these so called CPO 173 point inspection protocols.
Good luck with your situations and please keep posted. Ill do the same.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Damn, on my way home my halogen light went out on the drivers side..I have a pretty good feeling it was due to the water accumulating in the assembly, looks like I won't be able to wait out the problem and continually pressure GM to fix it due to manufacturing defect and will instead have to replace the bulb (likely will happen again if moisture not fixed) or buy a new assembly

Handy_Andy

Buick Ownership
Buick
Honestly what I have learned is CPO is not what is seems to be, and that has been backed up by several friends of mine who work at dealerships. For me it is a lesson learned, I would rather just buy a used with some factory warranty remaining for less than a used CPO which has a premium price attached to it.

I think you will be fine getting it covered for the code. I am still dealing with GM service about headlight/engine noise (about a month and counting now). Here is a document I obtained from dealer about what is NOT covered by CPO bumper to bumper https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B32xJQghdGA-XzdfRFZ4Z0ozMVU/view?usp=sharing
Have you tried contacting any of the Buick reps that are on these forums?

Even in that document it says "If you believe the part failed due to a manufacturers defect, and you wish to utilize your dealer empowerment to provide a policy adjustment to the customer, you will need to get wholesale authorization prior to H routing the claim". In regular terms to me this says: "This list of parts are commonly damaged in accidents / by owner neglect, so we aren't warrantying them straight up, so if you really think it's a manufactured defect then you have to make the extra effort to claim it for the customer".

Has this dealer explained to you why they don't think this is a manufacturer's defect? Is there some collision damage or any reason for them to believe the defect was inflicted by you? If the document they provided you says they CAN use their "dealer empowerment" to get a claim on it, and they're not, then they must not believe you as a customer are worth the trouble to call in and make a special claim for.

Also now that your headlamp bulb is failing this is bordering on a safety issue. Headlamps are a government required piece of safety equipment, and if this dealer can't even meet safety standards on a CPO car then that's a bit ridiculous. Unless there is a hole broken in the lens due to an impact, a leaking headlamp is a manufacturer's defect!!

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
My point exactly. Believe me I have tried with the service reps, spoke to 2 sr service reps, one of their supervisors and still nothing saying it is not covered even with my argument it is a manufacturer defect as moisture is not supposed to get in or accumulate. Been to 2 different dealerships who both said they will not do it under warranty (unfortunately now I'm above bumper to bumper mileage so it is documented as before the mileage but now I can't try others as they'll tell me I'm out of mileage). And I did explain it is a manufacturer defect they literally just told me "well it's not going to be covered gm isn't going to reimburse us"

Thankfully everyone I have talked to believes it should be covered including warranty clerk at the dealership and service advisor, meaning a reasonable person believes it to be a manufacturer defect (no cracks on outside to let water in or anything due to accidents or road rash).

So my first step is im going to order a hid bulb (a cheaper one not the OEM for now as it'll likely go out soon too due to moisture) and install that asap so I am not illegal.

Second step is file with nhtsa complaint as it is a safety issue.

And third, i unfortunately am going to have to file in small claims court (pretty sure I'll win) claiming it needs to be fixed as warranty and manufacturer defect, in which case it'll be for new headlight assembly, labor, and the HID bulb I'm about to buy to not be driving around without a headlight.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Update: Came to settlement with GM through legal means (confidential) but anyways I got a new headlight assembly. I picked this one up as a "oem surplus" it was being sold for $750 and I was able to negotiate down to $500 so a pretty good deal. It has the ballast and bulb included.

New light
headlamp new.jpg

Here is the ballast in case anyone needs #s and part # (driver side HID)
headlamp new ballast.jpg
headlamp new part number.jpg

It was pretty easy to replace, remove the bumper cover, disconnect the one plug to headlamp, unbolt it (also unclip this plastic part retaining it) then just pull it out and put new one in and do the reverse. Don't forget to aim it as well.
headlamp removed.jpg
headlamp new on.jpg

Here is the old one with the water issues I was having.
headlamp 1 broken.jpg
headlamp old replace.jpg

When I get some time I am going to completely tear apart the old one and see what I can on the inside (not to mention dry it out and put back together and reseal) and try to get it to work again so I can have a back-up. I know there was a previous discussion about whether or not it was ultrasonically welded/if you could bake the headlamp to pull off the lens.

supernoma

SW Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
This must be a recent change because I had a headlamp replaced on my 2016 GS for the same reason last year. I had no trouble having it replaced under warranty.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
This must be a recent change because I had a headlamp replaced on my 2016 GS for the same reason last year. I had no trouble having it replaced under warranty.
Think this is the difference between cpo/extended warranty etc. New car warranty is everything. Once you buy used....things can get a bit more dicey.

BigBlackBeaSSt

3.8L Member
Central PA
Buick Ownership
1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate, 2012 Buick Regal GS
Think this is the difference between cpo/extended warranty etc. New car warranty is everything. Once you buy used....things can get a bit more dicey.
Well my local dealer, Faulkner Buick GMC, ordered a new one for me yesterday based on my CPO warranty. It has 3-4 water "drip stains" inside the original light. I brought it up when I was in having my suspension "clunk" fixed (that was the king pins). As soon as my light is in they will install it for me.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Well my local dealer, Faulkner Buick GMC, ordered a new one for me yesterday based on my CPO warranty. It has 3-4 water "drip stains" inside the original light. I brought it up when I was in having my suspension "clunk" fixed (that was the king pins). As soon as my light is in they will install it for me.
Very lucky lol I spent a few months, went to 2 dealers, dealt with GM cust service and their supervisors etc., and finally had to file a law suit in small claims court.. it was a headache for something that should have been done how your situation was handled

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.