Regal GS to Insignia OPC Conversion with Pics!

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
Got my goodies from oeminsigniaparts.com this week, and couldn't wait to get started!

The instructions he has on the website do a pretty good job, but typical GM instructions do leave much to be desired. Here is a quick run-through of the swap:

Starting with the bumper, there are 6 bolts under the hood, all T20 Torx:

3 Bolts in the fender-well, T20 Torx:

4 Plastic retainer clips under the bumper:

Once that is all loose, you can just pull the bumper out from under the headlight:

There are two electrical connectors that you will need to undo before fully removing the bumper:

There was one HIDDEN bolt, not listed on GM's instructions on the driver's side. It is strange because there is not a matching bracket on the passenger side You will want to do this BEFORE the electrical connectors and attempted bumper removal, LOL... I didn't know it was there:

Remove the foam crash bumper:

The only thing holding the grille in place at this point is 27 little plastic tabs:

These seem easy enough, but it is a combination of unlatching these and BRUTE force to get the damn grille loose. It had my buddy and I scratching our head trying to figure out how to get this off until we finally just gorilla'd it off. Sorry, no pics of this part cause we were too frustrated.

After that, the new grille just snaps into place on the clips, and viola:

Last edited:

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
Next was the engine cover badge, just take the hose off that runs along the front of the cover:

...and you can then lift the cover straight up. The buick badge is held in place with little plastic retainers, just bend these all straight and the badge will come right off:

The Opel badge just clips back in its place:

The wheel center caps are pretty straight-forward, just pop off, pop on:

I was worried about the door sills, because the instructions seem "complicated" on the website, but upon further inspection.... they are just metalized stickers and pull right off:

Followed by replacement with the Opel. I used some masking tape to mark the location of the stockers:

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
Finally, the trunk. I had already debadged the Buick and Regal GS logos so no pics of that. But, that is just a simple matter of a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen them... then some adhesive remover to get the gunk off that is left.

The Buick badge itself is just held in with pressure clips... so just pry on that and it pops right off:

HOWEVER, there was a surprise... and my first one of the day. Behind the Buick badge is black plastic. I knew from my prying before I started that this piece was seperate from the actual Buick badge, and I assumed that it would be reused with the Opel... I thought wrong:

The black plastic is SPECIFIC to the Buick, and the kit did not come with the Opel counterpart for this piece. I have already contacted Cebo and I am confident he will track down this piece and add it to the kit. In fact, the Buick plastic is curved versus the Opel being flat so there was no way for it to be reused. However, I was not about to leave a Buick badge on the back with Opel on the front so I improvised a solution. I had some black duct tape, and got to making my OWN black background:

...with a little trimming:

...and then the Opel badge:

Not pretty, but it will work until Cebo can get me the right part... and from a distance you can't even tell it is duct tape ;)

Lastly, the rear badges... I used masking tape to get the location and level perfect before removing the adhesive backing:

Overall I am very happy with the conversion, it went very smooth and even taking our time it was a 2-hour job max. I also have a replacement airbag with Opel logo coming and I will update this thread with swap pics and info as soon as it arrives.

Adam

snewbyt07

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo T07 traded 10/12. 1964 Buick Riviera, 2012 Buick Regal GS
Looks very nice, and professionally done. Now you will have everybody scratching their heads. How do you like the "GS" ?

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
Sorry, it was a starting to get dark around the time I was finished and I had a dinner to get to, so I didn't get good finished pics. I added one of the front-end done to the first post.

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
Looks very nice, and professionally done. Now you will have everybody scratching their heads. How do you like the "GS" ?

I was honestly underwhelmed when I took my first test-drive. The suspension and brakes are great, but the car I test drove just felt lacking in power. However, my car just feels more powerful than the one I test drove. Also, after a few hundred miles and switching to premium, it is definitely much more spirited than it was originally. I definitely consider it a FUN car to drive now. I may look at doing some minor performance upgrades as they become available, but for now I am very satisifed with the performance and fun-to-drive factor.

Adam

TprGTO

MA
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Very nice job with the conversion. The end result came out looking really good.

12GSMN

5.7L Member
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Very sharp. You have even more one of a kind. What are you going to do about the GS on the inside passenger piano black trim, the air bag cover, and the opc on the bottom of the steering wheel? CAN WE ASK HOW MUCH THE KIT COST?

cebo0650

Waterloo, ON
Buick Ownership
Buick
Adam, conversion looks great!

As for the rear Opel emblem laloggia from the forums used the inside of an old CD case as the backing for the emblem (cut to fit of course). I checked with several dealers and suppliers, and all told me you can't order the black emblem backing separately from the entire chrome wing/handle.

You can see the results here: http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23977&highlight=Opel&page=2

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
You can use the black plastic from a cd case. Cut it to fit inside of the back of the rear Opel emblem. Then use some tape to secure it to the back of the emblem. Before installing on car, put a few pieces of double sided tape on the back of cd case and pop emblem in place. Here's a pic of it installed.

Nice job on the conversion....looks great.

BayouBuick

Louisiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Great write up and conversion! I am interested to see how you address the Buick and GS branding left on the car. Do you plan on changing the dash lights as well? Don't the lights start off white and change to red when GS or OPC mode is selected?

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
Very sharp. You have even more one of a kind. What are you going to do about the GS on the inside passenger piano black trim, the air bag cover, and the opc on the bottom of the steering wheel? CAN WE ASK HOW MUCH THE KIT COST?

The airbag is getting replaced, so the Opel logo will match.

I am going to debage the GS on the piano trim and hope to find a small OPC to replace it with.

Cebo is getting me a price on the steering wheel OPC piece.

Great write up and conversion! I am interested to see how you address the Buick and GS branding left on the car. Do you plan on changing the dash lights as well? Don't the lights start off white and change to red when GS or OPC mode is selected?
The dash lights are blue and change to red when GS mode is selected. I don't see any need to change this ;)

NYC Regal

Buick Ownership
Buick
LOL, it is on the list ;)

As in you're planning an engine swap or an AWD conversion? or Buick is considering it?

In regards to the conversion, it came out clean but I personally prefer the Buick badges or no badges. The Opel badges look like sideways lightning or an awkward "Z", just doesn't match my taste. But I'm not a fan of rebadging cars in general. Any plans to add to spoiler that cebo sells?

journeyforce

Buick Ownership
Buick
You can use the black plastic from a cd case. Cut it to fit inside of the back of the rear Opel emblem. Then use some tape to secure it to the back of the emblem. Before installing on car, put a few pieces of double sided tape on the back of cd case and pop emblem in place. Here's a pic of it installed.

Nice job on the conversion....looks great.

That CD case idea is a good one and it should be durable.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!