• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Regal TourX Keyfob for a Sportback/GS?

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Crowbar?
Because tire iron is locked in underfloor storage?
Wait no tire iron from factory...
Nevermind.
I suspect the powered versions can be unlocked both ways--electrically & manually (including a crowbar/oxygen lance/whatever is laying about). But if you push the badge and hear a hum/whirr>click< then I'm not so sure...

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I suspect the powered versions can be unlocked both ways--electrically & manually (including a crowbar/oxygen lance/whatever is laying about). But if you push the badge and hear a hum/whirr>click< then I'm not so sure...
Isn't that the sound whats his name heard, when they blew up his Caddy at Tony Romas?

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
I sometimes wonder if that was one of the reasons for the remote start feature...

verano4u

Buick Ownership
2019 Sportback
Has anyone else tried the 13508414 keyfob in any trim 2018 and up Regal Sportback model other than Chocomon and got it to unlock the rear hatch?

I have also been looking at the part number for the interior trunk release switch for the Regal Sport back - GM part number 84389158 - It mounts in the driver door in the small storage pocket beside the bottom speaker. Someday I will have to take the driver door panel off to see if the wiring harness in my Sportback Preferred II supports the switch by having a connector there for it.

Buick Ownership
1996 Buick Park Avenue 2020 Buick Regal Sportback Essence
I have in my possession a 2018 Lacrosse key, part number 13508414, the one that Chocomon used. I will try to get it programmed to my 2020 Regal Sportback Essence within the next week or two and I will report back.

Buick Ownership
So I was unable to program the Lacrosse key fob to my Regal Sportback. It was a spare 2018 Lacrosse key that my dealership had. We attempted both methods of programming, using the door lock cylinder method and through the MDI diagnostic tool. Maybe because it was a key from another vehicle it didn't work. I'm not sure and neither is the technician.

Both styles of latch have an electrical connection, otherwise they wouldn't get the "unlatch" signal from the BCM. So the only thing I can think of is the radio receiver and BCM do not have the programming to accept a signal from a key fob to unlatch the liftback.

Maybe if at some point I feel like trying again, I'll buy a new, never used -8414 Lacrosse remote and try again.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Maybe if at some point I feel like trying again, I'll buy a new, never used -8414 Lacrosse remote and try again.
The thing is, I did buy a brand new fob (albeit a TourX fob, not a LaCrosse fob) and it still wouldn't pop the hatch. I'd bet the results would be the same with the LaCrosse fob. The receiver to BCM communication, or lack thereof, makes sense to me.

Did the other buttons function properly or was the whole fob dead?

I wonder what is different about @Chockomon's Essence that allows the fob to work...

verano4u

Buick Ownership
2019 Sportback
So I was unable to program the Lacrosse key fob to my Regal Sportback. It was a spare 2018 Lacrosse key that my dealership had. We attempted both methods of programming, using the door lock cylinder method and through the MDI diagnostic tool. Maybe because it was a key from another vehicle it didn't work. I'm not sure and neither is the technician.

Both styles of latch have an electrical connection, otherwise they wouldn't get the "unlatch" signal from the BCM. So the only thing I can think of is the radio receiver and BCM do not have the programming to accept a signal from a key fob to unlatch the liftback.

Pretty sure the fob is required to be ready for programming. The used fob already has programming in it and the used fob would need to be prepped to be in programming state before the fob is added to the car. Not sure how that is accomplished with used fobs. But a new fob would be the real test.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
The thing is, I did buy a brand new fob (albeit a TourX fob, not a LaCrosse fob) and it still wouldn't pop the hatch.
Just checking (and not to insult your intelligence!) But on the TourX, it requires 2 quick presses of the remote to activate the hatch. A single press and/or long hold DO NOT work.

You did try double pressing, correct?

Buick Ownership
Pretty sure the fob is required to be ready for programming. The used fob already has programming in it and the used fob would need to be prepped to be in programming state before the fob is added to the car. Not sure how that is accomplished with used fobs. But a new fob would be the real test.
I had that thought as well. However, in my mind at least, the fob is just sending a signal, it's the car that needs to learn the fob, not the fob learning the car. But perhaps the key does actually learn the car as well, I do not have a definitive answer.

But as @Jack GS mentioned, why would a Lacrosse key work but not a TourX key? Especially when they have the same FCC frequency.

Unless further experimentation proves otherwise, I truly think because the Sportback doesn't have a power liftgate, GM figured you would have to take one step to open the tailgate either way, whether that be taking out the remote and pushing the button or pressing the badge on the tailgate, so they chose to take the cheap route and just not include FOB functionality for that.

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
Then they saved even more money by eliminating the button that releases the trunk lid from the driver's seat in just about every modern car.

verano4u

Buick Ownership
2019 Sportback
I had that thought as well. However, in my mind at least, the fob is just sending a signal, it's the car that needs to learn the fob, not the fob learning the car. But perhaps the key does actually learn the car as well, I do not have a definitive answer.

But as @Jack GS mentioned, why would a Lacrosse key work but not a TourX key? Especially when they have the same FCC frequency.

Unless further experimentation proves otherwise, I truly think because the Sportback doesn't have a power liftgate, GM figured you would have to take one step to open the tailgate either way, whether that be taking out the remote and pushing the button or pressing the badge on the tailgate, so they chose to take the cheap route and just not include FOB functionality for that.
Took a look at the trunk wiring diagrams at the dealer and the Lacrosse does not have a power opening trunk just like the Regal sportback, and showed the wiring to the rear trunk release was the same in both cars. I know the BCM would have to know what to do to open the hatch with the fob.....that may or may not be programmed. I am still going to take my drivers door panel off to see if there is a connector there to put in the remote hatch release. Part number is in my first post above.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Just checking (and not to insult your intelligence!) But on the TourX, it requires 2 quick presses of the remote to activate the hatch. A single press and/or long hold DO NOT work.

You did try double pressing, correct?
No worries! It's good to be thorough and make sure the basics are covered.

And yes, I gave it a double press. When that didn't work, I just spammed the trunk button. I didn't expect that to work either but it made me feel better

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
You guys...

I've got no interest in getting a remote hatch release to work--but you did make me wonder just what part (latch version--look at post #37) is installed back there. So for what is worth, here is a picture:

SportbackHatch.JPG

Turbo Buick Badge