• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Regal TourX Keyfob for a Sportback/GS?

1500cc

Ontario
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
@verano4u
I was following the instruction in the owner's manual (around page 35). It didn't say I had to put in *both* existing fobs so I only put in 1. But I figured that step worked anyhow since it proceeded to give me the "ready for remote" message.

But for the sake of thoroughness, I tried it today with both fobs. The only real difference was I got the message "ready for remote 3" instead of "ready for remote 3, 4, or 5". But the same non-result ... crickets after the "ready for remote" message. At the bottom of that message it says "dismiss", but no matter if I press the 'enter' button on the steering wheel, or the start/stop button, nothing happens.

Should it immediately do something after pressing stop/start, or is it normal for the screen to just time out and go dark? I suppose if it was supposed to take 10 minutes, I definitely wasn't waiting that long.

verano4u

Buick Ownership
2019 Sportback
Once you get to the point where it says ready for remote 3, place the new remote (on the ledge on top of the fob icon) with the other 2 remotes in the designated spot with buttons facing up. Then press the stop/start button...wait for the display to show that it is ready for another fob - usually about 10 seconds. If it does not show it is ready for another fob, remove the new fob anyway and press the unlock button on new fob and then press the stop/start button for 12 secs. to exit programming mode. Now remove all the remotes far away from the car except the new programmed one and see if it works.

If that does not work, the fob you got off ebay may possibly not have been a fresh never programmed fob.

1500cc

Ontario
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
The one thing from your instructions I was doing differently, was that I was removing the good fobs after it said to put #3 in the tray. So this time I tried leaving all three in the tray, but still no joy. Is the "ready for remote 3" message supposed to disappear on its own? For me it just stays there (even if I press 'enter') until the screen times out. Should the DIC say anything right away after it goes away?

It's definitely possible that this wasn't a fresh remote despite the listing saying it was. Although given that it's not technically supposed to be for a GS, and that other posters have had similar results using non-Regal fobs, I'm inclined to think the car just can't communicate with it.

redGS2

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I bought a 13508414 keyfob on ebay for $30 (seller is sold out). The listing showed that the key fob was compatible with 2018 Buick Regal Sportback. Tried programming it per manual, but got confused. Eventfully was able to get it programmed. The new key fob opened the trunk! Doesn't fly open, just pops it about a inch or two. But at least I can open it from inside the car for pickups, etc. It shows up as key 3, need to see it I can change to key 1. So Chockomon was correct.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Well I guess I'll try again with the 13508414 fob. Putting in the order today so once I get it programmed I'll be sure to chime in with my results.

@redGS2, as far as reprogramming goes, you'll just have to initiate the key learn by using the mechanical key on the door. Keep all key fobs away/out of the car. Wait 10 minutes, hit start button when prompted. Wait 10 minutes, hit start button when prompted. Wait another 10 minutes, hit start button prompted. Yes, it takes at least 30 minutes, so don't mess it up.

After that, all fobs will no longer work and you will be prompted to learn Key 1, Key 2, Key 3, etc.

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I bought a 13508414 keyfob on ebay for $30 (seller is sold out). The listing showed that the key fob was compatible with 2018 Buick Regal Sportback. Tried programming it per manual, but got confused. Eventfully was able to get it programmed. The new key fob opened the trunk! Doesn't fly open, just pops it about a inch or two. But at least I can open it from inside the car for pickups, etc. It shows up as key 3, need to see it I can change to key 1. So Chockomon was correct.

Good to know

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Just to follow up, the 13508414 does fully function for me as well. Hatch and all...

I still find it odd that the TourX fob didn't work for me but whatever, it works with the LaCrosse fob so I will take that win.

Maybe because the LaCrosse is opening it as a "trunk", while the TourX is opening as a "powered tailgate"?

Buick Ownership
1996 Buick Park Avenue 2020 Buick Regal Sportback Essence
So I believe this proves then that a key that has been programmed to a car already cannot be used for another car.

I'll have to buy a new key and get this going!

@Jack GS did you program it with the key in door/10 minute x3 method?

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
So I believe this proves then that a key that has been programmed to a car already cannot be used for another car.
Negative, a remote can be programmed to multiple vehicles. I have programmed a fob on my step mother's car that was previously programmed to mine.

@Jack GS did you program it with the key in door/10 minute x3 method?
Yes, I used this method to make the new fob "KEY 1"

So does anyone know of a way to 'factory reset' a fob?
By completing the 10min x3 method, the car "forgets" ALL fobs. This is generally used when the fobs have all been lost, otherwise any new fob will read as "Key 3", 4", 5", etc. Only by completing the last step, are the fobs relearned. This last step can be avoided and the vehicle will be longer respond to any fob. At this point, it's more that you've factory reset the car, not the fob... But I recommend relearning one fob at the very least. It's all in the manual.

Buick Ownership
1996 Buick Park Avenue 2020 Buick Regal Sportback Essence
Negative, a remote can be programmed to multiple vehicles. I have programmed a fob on my step mother's car that was previously programmed to mine."

It just confuses me that the leftover Lacrosse key fob I attempted to program via both methods, MDI and 10min x 3, didn't work. Even put a new battery in to take that out of the equation.

Ben Daigneault

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Negative, a remote can be programmed to multiple vehicles. I have programmed a fob on my step mother's car that was previously programmed to mine.

Yes, I used this method to make the new fob "KEY 1"

By completing the 10min x3 method, the car "forgets" ALL fobs. This is generally used when the fobs have all been lost, otherwise any new fob will read as "Key 3", 4", 5", etc. Only by completing the last step, are the fobs relearned. This last step can be avoided and the vehicle will be longer respond to any fob. At this point, it's more that you've factory reset the car, not the fob... But I recommend relearning one fob at the very least. It's all in the manual.
I tried that many times and doesn’t work at all!!
-Turn key 5 times (left key in barrel)
-Message appears to programme remote 3,4,5 etc
-Wait 10 minutes door open and nothing appeared on the screen! Close open door only message is remote left in car.

I follow the manual instructions but nothing happened
Can you describe all the steps you have taken

is your door closed locked before turning 5 times, is the key need to be left in the baril etc.
Is the old and new fob needs to be in the car? I want my new fob as #1 by the way.

thanks for your help

Ben Daigneault

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Just to follow up, the 13508414 does fully function for me as well. Hatch and all...

I still find it odd that the TourX fob didn't work for me but whatever, it works with the LaCrosse fob so I will take that win.

Jack, which logo do you have on your fob? The trunk of the hatch ?

Attachments

• FA0E9D44-96EF-4211-AED3-5C7593A55FEA.png
    FA0E9D44-96EF-4211-AED3-5C7593A55FEA.png
    859.6 KB · Views: 2
  • C84C0070-24DB-4A0E-9FF9-607DE33633D0.png
    C84C0070-24DB-4A0E-9FF9-607DE33633D0.png
    901.2 KB · Views: 2

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I tried that many times and doesn’t work at all!!
-Turn key 5 times (left key in barrel)
-Message appears to programme remote 3,4,5 etc
-Wait 10 minutes door open and nothing appeared on the screen! Close open door only message is remote left in car.

I follow the manual instructions but nothing happened
Can you describe all the steps you have taken
This is going to sound like a short, smart alecky answer, but I do not intend it to come across that way. I followed the instructions in the manual to a T, so you may have just gotten the sequence wrong. There's nothing I did differently from the manual.

To reprogram ALL fobs takes 30 minutes minimum.

is your door closed locked before turning 5 times
It makes no difference whether the car is locked or unlock prior to turning the key.
is the key need to be left in the baril etc.
This also makes no difference, but I left mine in FWIW.
Is the old and new fob needs to be in the car?
The existing remotes MUST be out of range of the vehicle. If they're within range, the vehicle will assume you're just adding a key. You want the vehicle computer to think there are no keys available, requiring a complete relearn of new keys

This is typically done when keys have been lost. It will erase any keys in the vehicle memory. Think of it like formatting a flash drive. Like you, I wanted the key with the trunk release as #1, so I used this method.

Ben Daigneault

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
This is going to sound like a short, smart alecky answer, but I do not intend it to come across that way. I followed the instructions in the manual to a T, so you may have just gotten the sequence wrong. There's nothing I did differently from the manual.

To reprogram ALL fobs takes 30 minutes minimum.

It makes no difference whether the car is locked or unlock prior to turning the key.

This also makes no difference, but I left mine in FWIW.

The existing remotes MUST be out of range of the vehicle. If they're within range, the vehicle will assume you're just adding a key. You want the vehicle computer to think there are no keys available, requiring a complete relearn of new keys

This is typically done when keys have been lost. It will erase any keys in the vehicle memory. Think of it like formatting a flash drive. Like you, I wanted the key with the trunk release as #1, so I used this method.
Thanks Jack, so last question for you is which icon is on the fob for the truck see few reply’s above

regards

Get your turbo buick badge right here!