Regal Turbo Gas Mileage

Zloyeb

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi there.

Can all of you Regal Turbo 2011+ owners post your fuel type, driving routine and mpg that you get?

I own 2012 Turbo Automatic with 10k mi on it, and i should be getting 29mpg on the highway according to the official specs. According to the GM, depending on the driving habits you should get up to 33-34mpg.

No matter what i do on the highway i can't get passed 27mpg :(
I tried driving it 3 times at exactly @2000rpm (~60-65mph) for 50+ miles no passing, just cruise, just flat Ohio highway, and it just sucks gas like i own a freaking GS and going crazy!

I did have regular gas during these runs but i should still get more right? I really don't do city driving.. highway is ~85% of my drive and testing described above is 100% highway.

Not happy about gas mileage on this turbo at all... I don't expect to save a ton otherwise i wouldn't get turbo but specifying 29mpg i was hoping for AT LEAST 30mpg considering my driving style.

Last edited:

JJhummus

Beavercreek, Ohio
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac
Like I said in the other thread, little motor in a big car... This things lives on boost and when boost is involved, gas starts to flow. I have a feeling that once HPTuners comes out with access to the ECU, I can clean this thing up a bunch. My car constantly has soot on the rear end and I very rarely get it above 3K rpm. My big motor in my same sized car gets better MPG than my GS does.

Harshman

Buick Ownership
17 Regal GS AWD
I have an 11 TO4 with 12k. I get ~25 around town driving and have done multiple trips up/down I-75 (MI-OH) and have gotten a high of ~32. Christmas only got ~29. Mileage improved by 1.5 with premium. Have not used ethanol yet.

Zloyeb

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have an 11 TO4 with 12k. I get ~25 around town driving and have done multiple trips up/down I-75 (MI-OH) and have gotten a high of ~32. Christmas only got ~29. Mileage improved by 1.5 with premium. Have not used ethanol yet.

that's nice, I drive on exact same I-75 route as you. did you get those ~32mpg with regular or premium gas? I am nowhere near your mpg even though I drive @2000-2500rpms, just cant get passed 27 even if I had hurricane behind me.

looks like even trying out premium won't do me any justice if it's barely above 1mpg more. looks like 2012 is not as good as 2011.

Like I said in the other thread, little motor in a big car... This things lives on boost and when boost is involved, gas starts to flow. I have a feeling that once HPTuners comes out with access to the ECU, I can clean this thing up a bunch. My car constantly has soot on the rear end and I very rarely get it above 3K rpm. My big motor in my same sized car gets better MPG than my GS does.

yeah i completely understand that and agree. but difference is huge and the way i drive this thing testing it i should be getting at least 29-30... time to drive it to the dealership for testing and tuneups i guess... although car was certified several months ago :S

Last edited:

JJhummus

Beavercreek, Ohio
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac
I haven't detailed it to the point of most of you, but the trip AVG MPG is dead on 21.0mpg. I drove home last night with the instant MPG displayed and when on the interstate at 70mph, it read 27 as soon as I would touch the gas. So, there is no way mine will ever get to the 29-32 range. It seems odd that there is so much soot on the rear end. With a DI motor you can run them fairly stoic with no issue. One of tehse days I'll get it on the dyno and see what the AFR is reading. I have a feeling it is fat for safety reasons...

Zloyeb

Buick Ownership
Buick
@woodshop2300
thx for that chart. useful information. September looks lovely. I can only dream that.

@JJhummus
well yeah.. but you drive GS .. and it's doing better than my turbo.

at this point, there just must be something wrong with my vehicle looking at woodshop's chart. during this week i was doing highway 75%, city 25%, and my avg is 20.4. Just pathetic.

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
well yeah.. but you drive GS .. and it's doing better than my turbo.
I don't know or care what the specs say, if you keep your foot out of it the GS is going to get better MPG than the regular Turbo all day. It is the same car, same size engine, with a better tune. If you aren't driving aggressively, the GS will get better MPG ...period.

JJhummus

Beavercreek, Ohio
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac
When reading this thread it reminds me of the Top Gear episode where Clarkson drove an M3 against a Prius to see which one got the best MPG. The Prius was to lead in a spirited manner and Clarkson to follow in the M3, no passing, just following. I think you know where I am going with this, but M3 actually got better MPG for that STYLE of driving. The point, it's not the car but how you drive.... In a big car with a little motor, the motor must work harder to do the same job... Unfortunately, I drove SCCA for several years and it is hard for me to not be spirited, thus my MPG usually sucks...

stive403

Wauwatosa, WI
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
I agree with you, but I think the point the OP is making, is even when cruising and doing all he can to get the best mpg possible, he's still not getting manufacturers claimed numbers. I can agree with him as well, as I don't get the stated 27 mpg for the gs on the highway no matter how I drive it. doesn't bother me too much though. Kind of expected that.

JJhummus

Beavercreek, Ohio
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac
I agree with you, but I think the point the OP is making, is even when cruising and doing all he can to get the best mpg possible, he's still not getting manufacturers claimed numbers. I can agree with him as well, as I don't get the stated 27 mpg for the gs on the highway no matter how I drive it. doesn't bother me too much though. Kind of expected that.

Agreed on allpoints. But unless everything is perfect, i.e. max air pressure in tires, no wind, perfectly flat, perfect alignment, etc., I am not sure the claimed numbers and real world numbers are ever really in sync. Never hurts to take it back to the dealer and have them check it out.

rqjoe

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
2000 Regal LS, 2003 Regal GS
I have a 2000 LS and a 2003 GS and regularly get almost exactly the advertised mpg; 30 and 28. HOWEVER, that is in summer. I find in northern ohio that in winter both go down about 3 mpg to 27 and 25. If I take a trip where I can drive from fill-up to fill-up, I actually do a little better than the advertised numbers. I think this is what is meant by the 'highway' rating - you have to measure "only" highway mileage; you can have no city driving mixed in no matter how much it is. And yes it is very driver-dependant. I am very slow to get going and get off the gas much sooner for stops than most.

Zloyeb

Buick Ownership
Buick

Exactly.. I got the turbo because i do plan to have fun with it and not just drive @2000 rpms.. but car has to do at least as advertised while testing it.

I called buick 800 number and, ofc, they were oblivious and had no answer. In fact they didn't even have official mpg rating on their own and pointed me to fueleconomy.gov for reference (?!). Talk about GMs product knowledge and false advertisement. Not like I owned 20 cars during my life time (just 4) but when I wanted to, every time, I could go over estimated mpg with all of them. winter or summer, wind or no wind, premium or regular..

Manual itself says most drivers with moderate driving style SHOULD get up to 33. so they are claiming you must get 27 (at least the way i drive in the past week), and should get up to 33. Especially this being certified vehicle just 3 months ago. I understand that 2.0L is heavily dependent on that turbo and boost over just raw engine power, I really do, and again I do want to have fun eventually but can't do it because i know that will kill my mpg even more. right now I am on freaking 20.4 avg doing 75% hwy.

Anyway, no point repeating myself I'll just put some mid or premium grade and take it to the dealer and see what will the result be. will post results.

Last edited:

Zloyeb

Buick Ownership
Buick
Dealership filled it, not me. But I don't see why that matters now and how it could lead to miraculous 4-5 mpg improvement. Ofc I do plan to run it on premium.

napacruzergs

Napa, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
Even when I think I'm doing mostly freeway driving, the average MPH brings me back to reality. Yup getting 21-22 mpg in my auto GS but my average speed usually below 40 mph. So that's telling me that I also do a lot of stop and go driving in and around the city. My best mileage yet has been 26+ and my average speed was about 62mpg - so I was doing a lot of crusing and even had the cruise control on at some point. Don't just look at you mpg - you gotta look at your average mph also to get the big picture.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!