• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Removing the hubcap locks without the special key / tool /wrench

Scruit

Buick Ownership
Buick
After searching for a tool (waste of time), asking at tire dealerships ("We would use your tool") and calling a Buick dealer (Discontinued), I finally decided to improvise.

I took a 25mm 12-point socket, heated it up with a propane torch, then pressed it into the hubcap lock, melting the 12 points into the outer edge of of the hubcap lock. I now can remove and install the hubcap lock with a 25mm socket.

Took 5 mins for the whole operation.

Scruit

Buick Ownership
Buick
so your saying that you melted it into metal? i didn't know you could do that with just a propane torch.
The hubcap locks on my wire spoke hub caps are made of plastic, about 26mm diameter. By heating up a 25mm 12-point ocket I was able to melt the outside edge of the plastic locks, making it form to the size/shape of the 12-point socket.

It now looks like this:

Carolyn Hert

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick Park Avenue (40000 miles - -mint and love it)
This is the only way to go! Thank you for sharing. I found several wrenches on Ebay (all coded for different colors = different Key color coded to match the color of the plastic retaining nut. Each nut color has the two concentric circular raised areas positioned differently, offset, etc) There were "R" for red, "S" for silver, "B" blue, "Y" yellow, and finally "G" for green, which is what I needed. There were only four green tools listed on ebay, with a price range (including shipping) from $39.99 thru $49.90 and I have to wait several days to a week to get delivery. . . . The "G" key has the concentric "inner raised circular areas" way off center. With this "off center" configuration, turning the tool is awkward at best. The wrench actually has a tendency to slip off the raised areas on the green plastic retaining nut. Almost feels like it has a tendency to move in an elliptical orbit but you are "fighting" to turn it circular. Stupid design! This twelve point socket hack, takes ALL of that away and you can actually "turn' the plastic retaining nut in a normal fashion without all of the awkwardness. . . . Thumbs up to this! The ONLY way to go. Thank you again for sharing.