• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Rendezvous Glove Box Door Hinge

davidw99

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The glove box door hinge on my wife's Rendezvous broke. It is nothing more than a folded piece of plasitc. Went to the dealer and the only way to get the hinge is to buy the entire door ($200+). Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you fix it?

davidw99

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well, I finally have this fixed. I had to remove the entilre glove box. The hinge is screwed tothe door with five screws but screwed and rivited to the glove box. I had to remove the golve boxx to have room to cut the rivits witha chisel. They could not be drilled out. They kept turning with the drill bit. The box is held in with four screws and about 10 clips.

I fixed the hinge with a hinge off of a plastic three ring note book. I took the metal "three ring" mechanism off of it and cut one of the hinges from the note book to size. I then sandwiched it between the old hinge pieces and the door or the glove box. It should work well.

sho-man1

Wylie, TX
Buick Ownership
Buick
Our 2007 just lost the hinge on the glove box. Plastic strap that flexes, what a piece of cr*p. I'm going to home depot and look at piano hinges for this one.

lj111970

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2007 Buick Rendezvous has same issue - the glove box door is now almost completely off - horrible manufacturing idea there. Also the handle on the back hatch has come off 3 times and been repaired 3 times to have it just come off again - to heck with it. Great luxury looking vehicle but you can tell the true quality with the interior - they didn't put much effort into that :(

Piccirello

Buick Ownership
2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL
The hinge on my 02's glove box also broke. It's a pain, but it's definitely not worth $200 to fix.

lj111970

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Can anyone suggest how to fix it? I am not stupid but also not mechanically inclined. I priced the fix at the dealer for $360 (NOT happening). I also found someone that has an old Rendezvous and has offered me their glove box door for $20 if I come and get it. Thing is I can not figure out how to get mine off thus won't be able to get the other one off and install the new one.
Is there a glove box do it yourself for dummies out there? lol
Lisa

tedluk

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I'd like to see pics of how you did this, David.

Or, I'd like to know how others have solved this problem. There's no way I'm paying $200 or more to fix this thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lisa, I'd take that glove box in a heartbeat! (As long as it includes the hinge, of course.)

Ted

tedluk

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well, I took a very simple approach to fixing this- Used some Gorilla tape! Seems like it's going to hold just fine considering how seldom the glove box is used. If it doesn't, I'll look at taking it all apart and finding a more permanent solution.

Noel Council

Buick Newbie
Raleigh,NC
Buick Ownership
Buick Rendezvous 2004
Well, I finally have this fixed. I had to remove the entilre glove box. The hinge is screwed tothe door with five screws but screwed and rivited to the glove box. I had to remove the golve boxx to have room to cut the rivits witha chisel. They could not be drilled out. They kept turning with the drill bit. The box is held in with four screws and about 10 clips.

I fixed the hinge with a hinge off of a plastic three ring note book. I took the metal "three ring" mechanism off of it and cut one of the hinges from the note book to size. I then sandwiched it between the old hinge pieces and the door or the glove box. It should work well.
My son and I (he's a mechanical engineer) used the 3-ring notebook approach. My door was broken at the dealer and hidden. My service rep
needed my insurance card because the repair to my car was requiring another day and I was getting a loaner. The owners manual and all the
invoices and warranties were stored in the glove box and weighed a few pounds. When all that was slammed on the open door, the hinge couldn't take it. Two days later when I finally got my car back and I opened the glove box door to store my invoice; the lid fell down with only
the metal bracket/stop keeping it from hitting the floor. I returned to the dealer and was told the part to fix the hinge was obsolete. After checking on the internet, we found there was a $360 fix by replacing the whole glove box and a do-it-yourself fix using the vinyl notebook.
My dealer sent me home with $360 damage to my car and my original problem (noise coming from the right front tire area) still there and
$600 out of my pocket. When I took my car to get a state inspection, the inspector found and corrected the problem-a loose bolt holding the right lower control arm to the chassis and after he tightened the bolt, the noise went away and the problem the dealer couldn't fix was fixed.

k9qho67622@comcast.net

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
2007 Rendezvous Glove Box Door Hinge Repair

I'm not a car mechanic. In Fact, I hate working on cars, but this about drove me over the edge. What a cheap piece of crap. The hinge breaks into two parts. The part still attached to the glove box I'll call the box hinge, and the part attached to the door is the door hinge.

1. Since the door is already broke, remove it with its door hinge and place it aside.
2. Also remove the glove box air filter door.
3. Remove four glove box screws, two at top, two bottom.
4. Remove the right side panel, pry out to release the corner closest to you. This takes some effort. A clip will be exposed. push right to release this clip. There are two more similar clips holding this panel. Pry to the right to finish panel Release.
5. Start pulling on the right side of the glove box to loosen and release its right clips.
6. Pull on the center of the glove box using the filter opening to release its left clips.
7. The glove box pulls straight out.
8. On the bottom of the box, remove the 5 rivets holding the box hinge to the glove box. This can be done by attaching vice grips to the back side of the rivet and drilling the head removing the rivets.
9. Separate the box hinge from the glove box.
10. Holding to door, you can now mate the two hinge parts together. Remember the smooth side of the door hinge mates with the underside of the Box hinge.
11. I used Gorilla duct tape. Apply sticky side to the door hinge and to the underside of the box hinge covering the rivet holes. Punch through the tape at the 5 rivet holes.
12. Fit the door to the box and close the door. Use five #8-32 , screws, nuts, washers and lock washers in place of the rivets and attach the box hinge to the glove box. In the end, the tape will attach to the top of door hinge and be wedged between the box hinge and the glove box.
13. You should have a working unit.
14. Instead of tape, you may use your own method to attach the two hinge parts. Or replace the hinge with a new one.

Fain

Buick Ownership
2006 Rendezvous
The glove box door hinge on my wife's Rendezvous broke. It is nothing more than a folded piece of plasitc. Went to the dealer and the only way to get the hinge is to buy the entire door ($200+). Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you fix it?
I found an easy solution, bought a 12 in. piano hinge. Fairly easy to install, you will attach to old hinge. You will first have to remove the old hinge attached to the door and attach one side of piano hinge to old hinge with center of hinge centered. Replace old hinge back into place. Close box and tape bottom into closed position and attach bottom hinge into place without removing the bottom old hinge. Don't over tighten screws. Screws are short enough they won't go through box door. Works like a charm! IMG_0533.JPG

Francesca

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
I found an easy solution, bought a 12 in. piano hinge. Fairly easy to install, you will attach to old hinge. You will first have to remove the old hinge attached to the door and attach one side of piano hinge to old hinge with center of hinge centered. Replace old hinge back into place. Close box and tape bottom into closed position and attach bottom hinge into place without removing the bottom old hinge. Don't over tighten screws. Screws are short enough they won't go through box door. Works like a charm! View attachment 11898

Francesca

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
I found an easy solution, bought a 12 in. piano hinge. Fairly easy to install, you will attach to old hinge. You will first have to remove the old hinge attached to the door and attach one side of piano hinge to old hinge with center of hinge centered. Replace old hinge back into place. Close box and tape bottom into closed position and attach bottom hinge into place without removing the bottom old hinge. Don't over tighten screws. Screws are short enough they won't go through box door. Works like a charm! View attachment 11898

Francesca

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
Davidw99 I just wanted to say thank you. I bought my car with both glove boxes busted. Hubby says it's cosmetic and he will fix it. It put red flags up and as I read I see it is a common problem. Your idea is going to save a small fortune and I am grateful.

Turbo Buick Badge