Replace rear brakes/ electric park brake

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Hello All,

I've been sifting Youtube and other online sources trying to find a procedure on replacing rear rakes on my 2017 LaCrosse. I've read things about using a scan tool and putting the car into "service mode" to prevent damage or injury during this job.
If any one has more detailed info I would appreciate it greatly. I havent been able to find anything online specific to the LaCrosse.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
If the 2017 is the same as my 2010 then the rears are very tricky, my guy had to get a special tool from the dealer to push the calipers. It had to turn something while compressing simultaneously.

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS

This is from the Chihton Manual.

Your Current Vehicle: 2017 Buick LaCrosse​

Rear Disc Brake Mounting and Hardware Inspection​

Rear Disc Brake Mounting and Hardware Inspection​

WARNING
Warning

Refer to Brake Dust Warning.

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum–full point and the minimum allowable level then no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum–full point and the minimum allowable level then remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.

4. CAUTION
    Danger

Do not use a service jack in locations other than those specified to lift this vehicle. Lifting the vehicle with a jack in those other locations could cause the vehicle to slip off the jack and roll; this could cause injury or death.

Raise and support the vehicle. Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation
  6. Grasp the brake caliper housing and try to move the brake caliper housing up/down and forward/reverse in relation to the brake caliper mounting bracket. If excessive looseness is observed the brake caliper bracket bushings and/or the brake caliper mounting bolts may need to be replaced.
  7. Compress the rear caliper piston.
    1. Install a large C-clamp over the top of the caliper housing and against the back of the outboard pad.
    2. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons are pushed completely into the caliper bores.
    3. Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.
  8. With the piston compressed into the caliper bore, grasp the brake caliper housing and slide it back and forth on the brake caliper mounting bolts. Check for smooth operation. If the brake caliper housing slide force is high or the brake caliper housing does not slide smoothly, inspect the brake caliper mounting bolts and/or the brake caliper mounting bracket bushings for wear or damage. If wear or damage conditions are found, replacement of the brake caliper mounting bolts and/or the brake caliper mounting bracket bushings is necessary.
  9. Remove the brake caliper mounting bolts from the brake caliper mounting bracket and support the brake caliper using heavy mechanics wire. Do not disconnect the hydraulic brake hose from the caliper. Rear Brake Caliper Replacement
  10. Remove the disc brake pads from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  11. Inspect the disc brake pad mounting hardware for the following:
    • Missing mounting hardware
    • Excessive corrosion
    • Bent mounting tabs
    • Looseness at the brake caliper mounting bracket
    • Looseness at the disc brake pads
    • Excessive contaminants in the brake caliper mounting bracket surface and threads.
  12. If any of the conditions listed are found, the disc brake pad mounting hardware requires replacement.
  13. Ensure the disc brake pads are held firmly in place on the brake caliper mounting bracket, yet slide easily on the mounting hardware without binding.

14. 344219.gif

Inspect the caliper bolts (1) or guide pins for the following:
    • Binding
    • Seizing
    • Looseness in the brake caliper mounting bracket (3)
    • Bent or damaged brake caliper mounting bolts or guide pins
    • Cracked or torn boots (4)
    • Missing boots
    • Bent or damaged brake caliper mounting bracket (3)
  15. If any of the conditions listed are found then the brake caliper mounting hardware requires replacement.
  16. Install the disc brake pads to the brake caliper mounting bracket.

17. 3980461.gif

NOTE
    Note

Excess brake lubricant and trapped air must be expelled from the brake caliper guide pin bore to allow full caliper movement and prevent premature brake pad wear.

Gently pull the edge of the upper guide pin seal (1) away from the brake caliper guide pin (2) while simultaneously pushing the brake caliper guide pin into the brake caliper bracket to expel any trapped air and excess brake lubricant.
  18. Repeat step 17 for the lower guide pin seal and brake caliper guide pin.
  19. With a clean shop towel, clean any excess brake lubricant from the guide pin seal and brake caliper guide pin.
  20. Install the disc brake caliper to the brake caliper mounting bracket. Rear Brake Caliper Replacement

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
The one video I found about electric parking brake said to place vehicle in service mode, disconnect the negative battery post and DO NOT use a c-clamp to compress the caliper...only AFTER the parking brake motor has been disconnected/removed. This was a generic video and not model specific

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
The Chilton Manual page is unfortunately incorrect. This does not address the electric parking brake which cannot be compressed with a C-clamp.

EDSELRANGER

PORTHOLE FAN
Buick Ownership
Buick
This Chevy rear brake video shows the same procedure as used on your Buick. I did the rears on my 2015 LaCrosse after watching that vid. Your local auto parts shop will have that universal tool shown that twists the piston. Not very expensive and fits 'em all.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
This is not the same as my 2017 Buick. Mine has electric motors on the back of each rear caliper.
I downloaded a GM service manual which shows replacement procedure but I can't find how to place the parking brake in Service Mode.

EDSELRANGER

PORTHOLE FAN
Buick Ownership
Buick
I'll be the first to admit I don't know about the 2017 LaCrosse. As I said, I did the rears on my 2015 LaCrosse and the procedure was the same as in that Chevy video that claims to address 2014 to 2019 models.

And my 2015 does have an electric parking brake activated by a switch on the center console. I don't remember how it actually functions but evidently it operates differently than your later model.

Good luck!

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Thanks! One of the videos I watched showed two different type modules. One that retracts a conventional cable (the type I assume yours has) and the type with individual motors on each caliper. I'm also not sure if lower trim levels get the cable vs the caliper type, but in any case, I appreciate the effort on your part.

When I actually get around to rotors/ calipers, I'll make sure to post some pics for future reference.