Replaced My Blend Door Actuator

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
LeSabre Limited
Just got done replacing my passenger side blend door actuator. The old one was stripped completely inside. The job is not that bad, except getting to the mounting screw on the far side. The new part was $132.00, though. Kind of spendy but now I have the same temp on both sides instead of cold on one and heat on the other. I found the diagram on this forum in this thread:

http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14832

Basically, you just take the glove box out and it's right there on top. Disconnect the metal rod between the actuator and the blend door and take the mounting screws out of the actuator. The far side is very tough to get to, I used a 7/32" socket clamped in a vise grip to get it loose and then muscled it out with my fingers on the socket the rest of the way. I couldn't get a ratchet in there, even my tiny little one.

Once the actuator was loose I disconnected the harness connector from it. Installation is the reverse. Make sure to note the orientation of the metal rod as it has a bend in it that must go back the correct way. When you clip it back on to the blend door arm, make sure to have it adjusted properly so it can move the door through its full range. When you reinstall the glove box door pay special attention to centering it in the opening so it works properly when you're done.

For my 95, the GM part number is 16141822. This is important because the first part the dealer gave me looked the same but had a different pin out for the connector. Before installing your new one, make sure the pin out is the same as your old one.

The first one lasted 15 years, so hopefully the new one will last a long time, too.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
The new part was $132.00, though. Kind of spendy but now I have the same temp on both sides instead of cold on one and heat on the other.
Good detailed writeup and thanks! For those of you who may experience the same problem, you can buy the same ACDelco actuator (Part # 15-71923 OEM # 16141822) @ RockAuto Parts Catalog for $65.79 ea plus shipping; or Rightnowautoparts.com for $52.54 plus shipping. No need to pay the dealer 60% mark-up! :rolleyes: BTW, this is particular actuator is for the (CJ2) (auto climate control with passenger side control) system only! If you have the (C67) system, you would use ACDelco (Part #15-71835 OEM Part #16124942) System ID is located on the SPID sticker on top of the spare tire cover.

Last edited:

kennjame62

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just got done replacing my passenger side blend door actuator. The old one was stripped completely inside. The job is not that bad, except getting to the mounting screw on the far side. The new part was $132.00, though. Kind of spendy but now I have the same temp on both sides instead of cold on one and heat on the other. I found the diagram on this forum in this thread:

http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14832

Basically, you just take the glove box out and it's right there on top. Disconnect the metal rod between the actuator and the blend door and take the mounting screws out of the actuator. The far side is very tough to get to, I used a 7/32" socket clamped in a vise grip to get it loose and then muscled it out with my fingers on the socket the rest of the way. I couldn't get a ratchet in there, even my tiny little one.

Once the actuator was loose I disconnected the harness connector from it. Installation is the reverse. Make sure to note the orientation of the metal rod as it has a bend in it that must go back the correct way. When you clip it back on to the blend door arm, make sure to have it adjusted properly so it can move the door through its full range. When you reinstall the glove box door pay special attention to centering it in the opening so it works properly when you're done.

For my 95, the GM part number is 16141822. This is important because the first part the dealer gave me looked the same but had a different pin out for the connector. Before installing your new one, make sure the pin out is the same as your old one.

The first one lasted 15 years, so hopefully the new one will last a long time, too.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I am experiencing the same issue on my 98' and cannot find another thread with the same issue.
Is this actuator for the temperature (hot to cold) or the mode?
Thanks!
James

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
I would suspect that was the temp control the OP was talking about, not the blend doors, which direct air to the different vents. The OP has not posted in the forums since 2013, (3+yrs) but hopefully he will see this post and clarify.

http://buickforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=294081

Buick Ownership
1998 Park Avenue
I can hear some whirring and buzzing in certain modes, mainly when air routed to the floor setting....I can hear a motor moving and resetting like it is trying to open or close but is blocked so it just keeps resetting. I think I will be doing this job fairly soon. Air temp is fine on both sides, but I do notice that the passenger side A/C is slightly colder than the driver side vents.

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Hey guys, first post here. I'm not a buick guy by any means but I 'fixed up' my grandmas old Park Ave ('99 or 2000 I think) and got it running reliably after sitting a few years.

Anyway, I can get the air to go to all different vents like defroster, front vents, or feet. However, with the ac on, cool air comes from the drivers vents but very very hot heat comes from the passenger side vents. I had thought this was a blend door but I do not know anything about these HVAC systems. So since the AC and heat both work, what part is likely to cause the differing temps? Both settings are set to cold by the way..Thanks!

Richie

The Avenue

Lafayette, IN
Buick Ownership
'01 PAU
Does it blow hot air, or whatever it is outside? Could try the KOEO(key on, engine off) way of resetting the actuators.

With the key in, turn it to the on position, but don't turn it over. Turn the AC off and let it set 3 to 5 minutes. You should be able to hear the actuators moving and clicking. After the 3 to 5 minutes, turn it off and then start the car.

While you are waiting the 3-5 minutes, put your ear to the passenger side by the glove box and see if you can hear it clicking. If there's nothing, then that actuator may be shot or the plastic gear may be stripped. You might also check to see if it needs refrigerant.

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Does it blow hot air, or whatever it is outside? Could try the KOEO(key on, engine off) way of resetting the actuators.

With the key in, turn it to the on position, but don't turn it over. Turn the AC off and let it set 3 to 5 minutes. You should be able to hear the actuators moving and clicking. After the 3 to 5 minutes, turn it off and then start the car.

While you are waiting the 3-5 minutes, put your ear to the passenger side by the glove box and see if you can hear it clicking. If there's nothing, then that actuator may be shot or the plastic gear may be stripped. You might also check to see if it needs refrigerant.
Yesterday it was about 85F outside and I was only able to get HOT air out of the passenger side vents, whether the settings were on 60F or 80F (or whatever the highest setting is). Heat was about 130F out the passenger side, no matter if I put it on middle vent, floor, blend, or defrost. It was hot no matter what.

As for the driver side, it was always cool/ambient. AC works but not well. Vent temps were about 70-75F on the coldest setting, ac compressor comes on like it should. I plan to do an AC service once I fix the temp control issue. Temps were only about 80-85F on the hottest setting.

I remember in winter the drivers side was freezing cold no matter what the setting was on.

So essentially, only heat from passenger side and only cool/ambient from drivers side, regardless of temp settings and fan control direction.

Thanks for the advice, I will try your test. For what it's worth, I did hear some clicking going on on the passenger side when I changed the settings. So maybe the blend door gears are stripped? I just don't know exactly what makes cool vs warm air come out, is it the blend door or temp control board?

Buick Ownership
park avenue
It's a blend door that doles out the heat and cold. It's a possibility that it may be stuck. Hopefully adding refrigerant and doing the reset will fix it.
wait a second, servicing the ac system will reset the blend doors?? I will vacuum and recharge the system asap.

If it does not, is that indicative of a bad blend door?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.