Replacing belt tensioner - 2000 LeSabre

raduque

Buick Ownership
00 LeSabre
Thread starter #1
Hey all, I just picked up a 2000 LeSabre with 253,000 miles on it. I'm needing to replace the belt tensioner (at less than 1k RPM, I have no power steering and am getting temps over 200 degrees). I know that since the coolant lines run THROUGH the tensioner (thanks GM! Stupid engineers...) do I have to drain the coolant to replace the tensioner? Nothing I can find about doing this job seems to say it's necessary.

So, can anybody definitely give me an answer one way or the other? Thanks!

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
you do realize that if the problem is the pulley is seized you can replace it without replacing the tensioner?
if you do need to replace the whole unit unless you want coolant all over your work area you have to drain it first.

Lubener

Buick Ownership
Lesabre(97)
I would atleast drain enough coolant to be below your work area. Best place is to partially remove the lower hose at the radiator instead of the petcock which may snap when you attempt to loosen it. Likely your tensioner doesn't keep enough belt tension due to the weakened spring. I would also change the coolant elbows to the metal ones, if it hasn't been done while you have the system drained.

Zeroboostbuick

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
The metal elbows cost $ 20 or less... So if you have to get them separately just do it.
You can find the elbows in most car parts stores in the help section.

raduque

Buick Ownership
00 LeSabre
Thread starter #9
Yeah so the Rockauto got back to me and the ACDelco part includes plastic elbows now - so I'll just buy a cheaper one and get my own elbows separately.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.