Replacing ignition switch

imidazol97

Top Dog
Has anyone gone in to check and replace the ignition switch on the steering column? This is not the key lock cylinder--I need to check the ignition switch on the 98 leSabre...

I had a no start today. No crank. No noise. I need to check for output from the crank voltage wire on the ignition switch. The switch feels different when I rotate the key.

Starter was taken off and checked out good at OReillys. Not getting voltage at the solenoid wire when key turns to crank.

Last edited:

AutoLocknKey

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I've been working on a 95 lesabre today. Same symtoms. I finally got it to crank after shifting it in and out of park several times. There is some sort of mechanism that keeps it from starting if not in Park or Neutral. (shift interlock?)

I followed the shift cable to the transmission shift lever visible under the hood. There is a wire running from it to the starter...... I'm thinking there is an electrical switch inside the housing under the shift lever that disables the starter if not in Park or Neutral. Maybe this switch is going bad.

PrivateerMatt

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello everyone. My first post here ! :) Sounds to me like you're experiencing an issue with the transmission pnp switch. I recently had a problem with my 98 Lesabre and initially thought it was the Vats/Passkey system. It wasn't. I'm 99% sure its the electrical ignition switch.
Well long story short I got the complete factory service manual if you want any info on troubleshooting the switch.

Don't mess with a Haynes manual either. They're very limited in their info.
My factory service manuals are 3 , YES 3 , pretty thick volumes.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!