Replacing intake manifold gaskets

DirtyDizzle

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
I am going to be replacing the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets on my 2004 Lesabre.
I have the new upper intake and gasket with all extra hardware.
I have the new lower intake manifold gasket set and a set of valve cover gaskets that I will also throw on while I'm tearing it down.
I have already upgraded the coolant elbows to aluminum.
Is there anything I'm missing that I will need before I start the job like water pump gasket or?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
While it may not be required thermostat, PCV, injector O-rings are a few items that it's simpler now. Hopefully the manual has all the specs on torque and sequence, here's a exploded view which may help on any of parts to at least consider while apart as access would be on some parts during this time.
030203GM00-311.png

DirtyDizzle

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Thank you that diagram should be very helpful I have replaced thermostat with a cooler one and the kit came with a new gasket it also came with new pcv valve so I will be putting that in as well as all the new O rings. I'm not sure what all O rings I have I know for sure the ones for pcv and ones for fuel rail. I will have to double check torque specs and sequence I know I got false torque specs from 1A autos repair video last time and ended up cracking my brand new intake. Which is why I had to order another this time I will be finding my own torque specs. I should probably pick up a Chilton.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You may want to check this out and see if it will work.

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
The upper intake manifold bolts are 89 inch pounds. It is recommended on the first sequence to tighten at half and fully tighten on the second pass. Make sure you are using an accurate torque wrench.

DirtyDizzle

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
You may want to check this out and see if it will work.
Thank you.
The upper intake manifold bolts are 89 inch pounds. It is recommended on the first sequence to tighten at half and fully tighten on the second pass. Make sure you are using an accurate torque wrench.
This is very similar to how I did it but I did it in 3 passes and finished at 96 inch lbs as it was suggested in a repair video. I later found out the torque specs they gave in video were incorrect. Thats what I get for not double checking specs myself. I'll get it done right this time though.

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
89 vs. 96 would not cause the manifold to crack, others have experienced the same problem @ 89 myself included. Make sure the bolts are seated correctly before tightening and watch carefully if it starts to deform when tightening.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
89 vs. 96 would not cause the manifold to crack, others have experienced the same problem @ 89 myself included. Make sure the bolts are seated correctly before tightening and watch carefully if it starts to deform when tightening.
I use a nut driver with the appropriate socket to tighten it. Never used a torque wrench on it and never had an issue. I've done 5 cars like that and never had a problem with vacuum leaks or cracking the plastic.

DirtyDizzle

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
I dont mind using torque wrench at all but I noticed when I was tightening the bolts it felt like way too much my instincts said stop but I wanted to make sure it was torqued appropriately.

I still havent gotten around to doing the job gasket job. Hopefully very soon I've got a long road tripped planned for this car in a couple weeks and I've got to have it done before then. Any recommendations on other things I should inspect or replace before the trip?

I've already put new battery and alt to accompany upgraded sound system. Ive flushed and converted cooling system to green antifreeze, replaced coolant elbows and thermostat, replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. Replaced air and cabin filter. Put in a shift kit and replaced tranny fluid and filter. Changed engine and tranny mounts. Last but not least got a new set of tires for it.
Ive got all new brakes and rotors ordered and on the way.
I plan to also check and replace plugs and wires if needed but they look like they are brand new.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!