Review So Far

Somewhere in the USA?
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thread starter #1
Hi everyone, I go by Forewind, and I wanted to post a review so far of the Buick Regal TourX (essence, many options).

-Handles well for not having a sport button that tightens up the suspension, and I am coming from a E70 BMW X5 50i w/adaptive suspension. If I am comparing the X5 vs the TourX, I would say the TourX handles like my X5 did without the suspension firmed up by hitting the adaptive button, but less floaty and not as easily pushed around by cross-winds. The tires on the TourX do squeal a good bit when pushing hard in a corner, even though it feels as though the TourX can handle it, but I did not buy this vehicle for sporty driving.

- I bought the TourX on intentions of a cruiser with power, but with some athletic abilities if so desired or needed. I drove a Range Rover supercharged (SUV, I know) build from 2010-2012 that was owned by a relative from time to time and I enjoyed the vehicle a lot, but did not like a few things about the vehicle as well. Few things I did not like were: body roll, sluggish transmission (I could almost count to 1-2 seconds before it shifted, and that was manually shifting) and throttle response, size (TourX may be long and spacious, but the RR had some serious height and was big) - the Range Rover made up for all the other things with luxuries inside and out, the power, towing, and its all-wheel drive. The TourX I feel is the positives of the Range Rover (besides towing it seems, and a few other things), while fixing the negatives. I might be a little too fanatic about the TourX, but I think it is a fantastic vehicle at its’s value (caught by surprise with the manual adjust steering wheel though, haha).

-As silent on the inside compared to the BMW X5, but not as much noise either due to non-runflat tires (at least I see no indication of RFT, but did see there is a ContiProContact RFT though). I am considering going with RFTs in the future, any advice would be appreciated. :)

-Acceleration has been great so far, and the transmission has yet to learn any driving pattern after 900 miles (or I have not noticed, haha), where in my X5 I would constantly be using D/S mode since the transmission would learn an efficiency type driving pattern. No problem getting in and out of traffic, and it is an absolute thrill to have such acceleration from a Wagon over 3500 LBs with a 4 cylinder turbo (thinking of getting the turbo 4 forum car badge soon).

-Performance to fuel ratio is where it shines in my opinion though, as I have had a little over 300 ACTUAL miles each fill-up (3rd fill-up was today), and filled 12-13 gallons at most. I would have to struggle to hit 300 or more miles in the X5, mostly getting 200-250 miles before my next gas station trip, and filling 18-20 gallons on premium (ouch, but not as bad compared to filling up a Range Rover Supercharged, haha)

-Interior is nice and spacious, but is narrow, as is the car. I enjoy narrow cars, helps with city driving and other narrow roads, where I felt my X5 was almost too wide. I also drove a challenger that a relative of mine has, such a wide vehicle, haha.

-Technology wise, still figuring everything out.
—I have an IPhone, and Applecarplay is new to me, and will be messing around with that for a bit.
—Voice commands.....oh boy, the wagon must hate me, as I try to be articulate as I can, and it just does not work out at times haha (will try again later and give more feedback on it).
—Not sure about the heated steering wheel, will have to try when it gets cold, but felt no heat after 5-10 minutes and turned it off. Maybe there is a sensor for how hot it needs to get depending on temp inside or outside the TourX? Would be crazy in my opinion, but I could see technology advancing to that point. Or maybe I am too optimistic, haha.

—Cladding - I do not mind it, especially with some of the rough interstate roads in America, especially in the southern regions, my goodness. Planning to get my front bumper and sideview mirrors wrapped, but might see how much a full body wrap would be.

-(Last minute edit): I also wanted to state that I do miss the growl of the X5 50i, but the TourX does have a nice note when I am traveling in town or city (too silent in the cabin to hear when I am on the highway). Seems that full throttle will induce the turbo whine and a little growl (same as the X5), but probably around a 3/8 to 7/8 of the way down on the pedal produces just the slight growl of the 4 cylinder in throughout the cabin? I will have to report back on the exhaust note. I enjoyed not going WOT at times in the X5, just to hear the engine growl, instead of mostly turbo whine. (End edit)

—The only fault I have with the 2018 Buick Regal TourX though.........is the back-up camera, which is a very minor fault, but still felt like it needs to be brought to attention. The resolution and clarity of the back-up camera in the TourX is just not up to par for 2018 in my opinion - I have seen better back-up cameras in Toyotas, to the point I was in awe due how some would show just how much the camera in my X5 was outdated by, what happened here (not trying to insult or anything, just wondering if this aspect is a priority for Buick or not)?

—Also, will Buick add surround view cameras? I have seen 2018 camrys with surround view, but not sure how many other auto-makers have adopted this feature (BMW and Toyota are the only ones I know of, but have not looked into it much either).

Other than the 1 complaint, outstanding vehicle in my opinion. This is my first major review of a vehicle, I hope that I did not do too badly (hides). 😎😬🖖😮🤔

Attachments

Last edited:

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Welcome and glad you enjoy your TourX so far. Regarding the back-up camera, the image should be adjustable via the Intellilink system. The one in my Verano was certainly not optimized when I bought it but after changing some of the settings, I set the image quality where I wanted it. You may need to consult the owner's manual first to avoid flipping through all of the digital menus.

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx Preferred, Sport Red
Very good review. I have about 1200 miles on my TourX so far, albeit configured a little differently (Sport Red, Preferred trim level, Sights & Sound package, Sunroof), and I agree with your sentiments for the most part. It is such a great car!! Very grateful I was able to get it equipped exactly the way I wanted it, below invoice, and with the 0% financing.

I was previously driving a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. It treated me very well for 200k+ miles, but the TourX has been a huge upgrade.

Somewhere in the USA?
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thread starter #4
Sounds good SkyLarkin’, I will give it a shot, and thanks for the welcome! BrianCoasters, that is awesome! Very nice upgrade, and glad to hear your last vehicle lasted so long! The red color is very nice in my opinion, and almost wanted to go for 1, but I needed a more under the radar color haha. Nice on the deal you got as well BrianCoasters! 😃

Just 1 question if you do not mind some input BrianCoasters, or any other members:

1. Do you guys think the initial break-in period is fine (I think 500 miles in the manual) Or do you think 1000-2000 miles is a better bet? I am close to 1000 miles currently, but wanted some opinions from others. I feel like with a turbo that is able to push 18.9 Psi, a decent amount of miles in the 1k-10k period would be appropriate? Or am I just paranoid?

Also want to point out, going from an electronically controlled steering wheel, to manual adjustment has been a little weird for me, but am getting use to it. I forgot to latch the steering wheel down all the way 1 time........gave me a scare (luckily I was just about stopped, thought I locked it in all the way). 😒😅

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I don't think giving the turbo a longer break-in period is a negative. This is my first blown engine and I waited beyond 500 miles before indulging more in the boost. I also make sure to change the oil according the algorithms and percentages from the oil life monitor.

gj1

Buick Ownership
Buick
I don't currently have a turbocharged car, but I've had a few in the past. I've always tried (when possible) to drive the last few minutes off boost. Never killed a turbocharger!

(I've just jinxed by upcoming TourX, haven't I)

Somewhere in the USA?
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thread starter #9
All the replies are great! So far around 2k miles, and I am still thoroughly enjoying the TourX! Went easy with some spurts for first 1500, and not too worried after that (will not go nuts either though, haha). 😁
I will be making another thread, due to some equipment that was held off for the TourX apparently though, and I cannot find information as to why.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.